Presbyterian Mutual Society asks for help!!!!

Started by Jimmy Joe, January 30, 2009, 09:12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 31, 2009, 03:33:10 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on January 31, 2009, 03:21:58 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 31, 2009, 02:57:14 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on January 31, 2009, 01:11:20 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 30, 2009, 02:27:26 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on January 30, 2009, 12:55:14 PM
Why would any Catholic choose to deposit money in a specifically Protestant institution when there are numerous secular banks and credit unions?
Why wouldnt they if the interest rate was very enticing ?
Would it be that they were not allowed ?

Would you invest money in the 'Orange Order Mutual Society' (if there was one), rather than the Ulster Bank if there was a difference of 1 or 2% in interest rates? This was a 'private' institution - as an outsider, i wouldn't invest money where i didn't know exactly what was happening, or where there was no sign of regulation.
why wouldnt I
would nationalists not be allowed - judging by your comments?
if it was a great interest rate my answer would be yes, I would possibly invest.
why not ?
Good for you - go for it!
Personally, i wouldn't take the risk when there's a regulated option.
ok
that dosnt answer the question, prior to all this credit crunch etc when we werent concerned about the ass falling out of the banks
why wouldnt I take up this option, would I not be allowed - why
you seem to have a problem with it?

whoever nation/religion etc owns the banks shouldnt be a consideration. eg I used bank of islam over in dubai ....
But this isn't a bank! That's the point! It's a private unregulated organisation and that's why it's in the shit now! But yes, you definitely should have been allowed to invest all of your money in it.

(I don't know why you think i have a problem with it though.)

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 31, 2009, 03:43:49 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 31, 2009, 03:33:10 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on January 31, 2009, 03:21:58 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 31, 2009, 02:57:14 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on January 31, 2009, 01:11:20 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 30, 2009, 02:27:26 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on January 30, 2009, 12:55:14 PM
Why would any Catholic choose to deposit money in a specifically Protestant institution when there are numerous secular banks and credit unions?
Why wouldnt they if the interest rate was very enticing ?
Would it be that they were not allowed ?

Would you invest money in the 'Orange Order Mutual Society' (if there was one), rather than the Ulster Bank if there was a difference of 1 or 2% in interest rates? This was a 'private' institution - as an outsider, i wouldn't invest money where i didn't know exactly what was happening, or where there was no sign of regulation.
why wouldnt I
would nationalists not be allowed - judging by your comments?
if it was a great interest rate my answer would be yes, I would possibly invest.
why not ?
Good for you - go for it!
Personally, i wouldn't take the risk when there's a regulated option.
ok
that dosnt answer the question, prior to all this credit crunch etc when we werent concerned about the ass falling out of the banks
why wouldnt I take up this option, would I not be allowed - why
you seem to have a problem with it?

whoever nation/religion etc owns the banks shouldnt be a consideration. eg I used bank of islam over in dubai ....
But this isn't a bank! That's the point! It's a private unregulated organisation and that's why it's in the shit now! But yes, you definitely should have been allowed to invest all of your money in it.

(I don't know why you think i have a problem with it though.)

obv would check out the place before investing, but I have savings in a mutual society in dublin that is safe and a great return on investment.

just your continued question of why invest in an OO 'bank' and this institution had me wondering what was your resoning for this repeated focus

stew

Quote from: YogiBear on January 30, 2009, 02:33:14 PM
Did some laughing when I first heard the Presbyterian Mutual Society was gone bust and am still laughing, God works in mysterious ways but they shouldnt worry read the bible and they will be grand.

There is nothing funny about anybody losing money, this hurts people and there is simply nothing funny about it.

Whoever said that the board was depressing at times was right. :'(

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: stew on January 31, 2009, 04:40:31 PM
Quote from: YogiBear on January 30, 2009, 02:33:14 PM
Did some laughing when I first heard the Presbyterian Mutual Society was gone bust and am still laughing, God works in mysterious ways but they shouldnt worry read the bible and they will be grand.

There is nothing funny about anybody losing money, this hurts people and there is simply nothing funny about it.

Whoever said that the board was depressing at times was right. :'(

Have to agree. Idiots here are so jealous of people actually having a few quid to put aside they can't help themselves when people lose out. If they're prods then it's doubly exciting. I'm starting to think fivetimes had a point! People losing their life savings is no laughing matter.

Tyrones own

That's well and fine but why use a quote from Yogi as a stick to bate Pints with ???

**ah you fixed it... well half, you left 5ivetimes in there ;)
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

pintsofguinness

QuoteI'm starting to think fivetimes had a point!
He'd a point about what?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 31, 2009, 05:13:20 PM
He'd a point about what?
being a good judge of character. I don.t know if it is your time of the month but the past few days have opened my eyes to you as a whiny, sad, bitter man with a bag of chips on each shoulder.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 31, 2009, 05:21:14 PM
He'd a point about what?
being a good judge of character. I don.t know if it is your time of the month but the past few days have opened my eyes to you as a whiny, sad, bitter man with a bag of chips on each shoulder.
What did I do?

Btw Tony, I was the fifth poster that said f**k them (though the others didnt use those words) so why am I the lucky one to get your abuse?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 31, 2009, 05:21:57 PM
He'd a point about what?
What did I do?
Your general revelry in the misfortune of others sickens my shite. Presbyterians or not, I don't think it's funny anyone losing their life savings. Not even if it was you ;)

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 31, 2009, 05:29:12 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 31, 2009, 05:21:57 PM
He'd a point about what?
What did I do?
Your general revelry in the misfortune of others sickens my shite. Presbyterians or not, I don't think it's funny anyone losing their life savings. Not even if it was you ;)

Can you provide me with some incidents of this because I cant recall any.

Tony Baloney

I don.t have time to trawl thru your entire history but lets just agree that I'm right and move on. Although you're doing some whining on the other thread about how the south didn't help you fight the brits. Whom you've now adopted as your brethren by living amongst them.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 31, 2009, 05:37:39 PM
I don.t have time to trawl thru your entire history but lets just agree that I'm right and move on. Although you're doing some whining on the other thread about how the south didn't help you fight the brits. Whom you've now adopted as your brethren by living amongst them.

Great reason,  ::) I'm a lot of things but someone who normally enjoys the misfortune of others is certainly not one of them. 

Main Street

It is a private loans and savings institution, strictly for members of the presbyterian church.

6% £12m loaned  to churches,
9% £17m to commercial property developers,
13% £26m to private landlords for 'buy to let'
42% £85m to developers for building sites and development land.

Looks like the society rules favour the repayment of the depositer who have over 20k as against the depositer who have less than 20k. The societies own rules are arseways inclined.
Their investment portfolio is very suspect considering the way they used the  'thrift for presbyterians'  manifesto to suck in savers.

Maguire01

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 31, 2009, 03:54:04 PM
just your continued question of why invest in an OO 'bank' and this institution had me wondering what was your resoning for this repeated focus
Eh? I said it once (and not directed towards you at all) - any other references were responding to your questions as to why you couldn't invest in a private institution.

stew

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 31, 2009, 05:40:51 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 31, 2009, 05:37:39 PM

Great reason,  ::) I'm a lot of things but someone who normally enjoys the misfortune of others is certainly not one of them. 

Correct, that you are not.

You are a pessimistic sort of ballix though, I blame that on your diet of sausages and chips.  :P
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.