what sport is the Art of striking a dead ball between 2 Posts the most difficult

Started by Maroon Heaven, January 29, 2009, 06:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 30, 2009, 07:07:44 PM
Quote from: Hardy on January 30, 2009, 06:40:02 PM
Quote from: milltown row on January 30, 2009, 06:12:59 PM
very simple. if your club is a dual club then ask the football only players ... to try striking the ball over the bar with a hurl, then go to the hurling only lads and i'll bet they'll have far more success

I presume you mean get the hurlers to kick a football? In that case, I'd put any money you like on any random set of footballers taking hurling frees from say 45m to outscore heavily any random set of hurlers kicking a football from the same distance. Or from a lot closer in, for that matter. 

I would put any money on it that your wrong...

We'll have to organise a competition, LL. I'll tell you what - I don't know how good a footballer you are and it doesn't matter. I've never played hurling in my life. I'll bet you €100 that if we meet up - maybe before some championship match later in the year - and you take 20 45s with the football and I take 20 45s with the hurley, I'll score more points than you.

milltown row

Quote from: Hardy on January 30, 2009, 07:16:04 PM
very simple. if your club is a dual club then ask the football only players ... to try striking the ball over the bar with a hurl, then go to the hurling only lads and i'll bet they'll have far more success

I presume you mean get the hurlers to kick a football? In that case, I'd put any money you like on any random set of footballers taking hurling frees from say 45m to outscore heavily any random set of hurlers kicking a football from the same distance. Or from a lot closer in, for that matter. 
#
you'll have to take 65's. only fair

We'll have to organise a competition, LL. I'll tell you what - I don't know how good a footballer you are and it doesn't matter. I've never played hurling in my life. I'll bet you €100 that if we meet up - maybe before some championship match later in the year - and you take 20 45s with the football and I take 20 45s with the hurley, I'll score more points than you.

RedandGreenSniper

Can't believe this thread is still going . . .

If I was to get the starting 15 from our senior football team to each strike three 45's with a football, I reckon only three lads would score at all. Some lads wouldn't simply have the leg power to kick the ball that far, others wouldn't have the technique for kicking off the ground.

If I went in the road to the Castlebar Mitchels hurling team (a very average team, even by Mayo hurling standards) and got the starting fifteen to do the same, I'd be amazed if I could find more than 2 that couldn't convert one of their three efforts. Every single hurler playing at senior level should be able to strike the ball 45 metres and the sedantary nature of a free is the easiest way to strike a sliothar. Kicking an O'Neills 45 metres off the ground isn't near as important in football  so to say that anyone that says pointing frees in hurling is easier than football is therefore casting aspersions on the skill level of hurling is ridiculous. Its simply the different nature of each game
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Hardy

Quoteyou'll have to take 65's. only fair

So you're saying it's easier to score points in hurling. Isn't that the opposite of what you've just been arguing?

muppet

Quote from: Hardy on January 30, 2009, 07:21:01 PM

So you're saying it's easier to score points in hurling. Isn't that the opposite of what you've just been arguing?

Where's my chimp?
MWWSI 2017

Maroon Heaven

;D ;D ;D ;D
Just got in before me

Zulu

Having lived in predominantly hurling counties all my life I can't say I've ever come across anti-hurling football men, all the football folk also follow the hurling in my experience. But I'd be equally quick to condemn a football 'snob' as i am a hurling one if they are out there. However getting back to the point, the one thing I can guarantee from my own experience is that the ratio of successful attempts from a free, if taken by all the senior players in any dual club, would be far higher for the hurling than the football.

QuoteZulu i play football and Hurling for Naomh Gall, i'd say were are a good enough football team and a good intermediate hurling club. my opinion is based on my own judgement.

your pathetic attempt at saying hurling is easier is based on your judgement

Once again you fail to either read or understand my post, I've never said that football is more skillful than hurling, I said some skills in hurling are easier than their equivalent in football, free taking being one. I've never concerned myself whether one sport was more skillful than the other, because as you say yourself, it is a matter of opinion and in the end of the day totally irrelevant.

Hardy

muppet

MWWSI 2017

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Hardy on January 30, 2009, 07:16:04 PM

Does that mean we are the chimps  :D
How about we go a step further and organise a gaaboard faceoff!!
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Declan

QuoteWe'll have to organise a competition, LL. I'll tell you what - I don't know how good a footballer you are and it doesn't matter. I've never played hurling in my life. I'll bet you €100 that if we meet up - maybe before some championship match later in the year - and you take 20 45s with the football and I take 20 45s with the hurley, I'll score more points than you.

Jaysus you could sell tickets for that one - who would us Dubs shout for??? The Royal or the Laois man whose missus is a Dub but who hasn't let that spoil his high opinion of all things Dublin!!!!!!!!  

The Real Laoislad

Sure if you think it is easier to score points in hurling then you shouldn't have a problem taking them from 65?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

muppet

Update:

The shootout is postponed as the chimp has kidnapped Tony and climbed to the top of the (now bent) goalposts.

Apparently the chimp has relatives in Tyrone.
MWWSI 2017

Hardy

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 30, 2009, 07:37:23 PM

Sure if you think it is easier to score points in hurling then you shouldn't have a problem taking them from 65?

Sure if you think it's easier to score points in football then you shouldn't have a problem with me  taking them from 45?

Hardy

Muppet I'm confused now. I don't know whether it's oranges or bananas I'm supposed to be using and now a second chimp has appeared on the scene.