what sport is the Art of striking a dead ball between 2 Posts the most difficult

Started by Maroon Heaven, January 29, 2009, 06:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Zulu on January 30, 2009, 05:18:05 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on January 30, 2009, 01:49:07 PM
QuoteI don't play hurling but like everyone else I'm sure have a stick in the house. I would be confident of knockin it between the posts from 50 yards out. Definitely easier than the footballing equivilant.

Simple to sort out really - if you took a random Joe of the street who hadn't played Gaelic or Hurling and gave him a chance to attempt a free on the 45 with a football and with a stick and ball, I doubt he would even get the ball flicked up never mind connect with it.  I would be confident that he could get the football close if not over.

As has be pointed out before, few lads are complete novices when it comes to kicking a football so that isn't a true comparison but even if it was there is no way a complete novice would kick a 45 and out of ten I'd confidently say he wouldn't get anymore than one or two even close. Taking frees in hurling is one of the easier skills of the game, the difficult part of hurling for most people is controlling the ball but once they have the ball in the hand many of the skills of hurling are quite easy.

You are completely leaving out the fact that the novice has to rise the ball with the hurl to strike the ball over the bar,it was never part of the scenario that the hurler has the ball in the hand before he shoots
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Zulu

The point I was making is that scoring from a free is one of the easier aspects of hurling, a complete novice (if such a thing existed) at football would find it just as hard to kick a free as he would to puck a free over the bar. I've played as much hurling as I have football but one thing I've found to be true of hurling folk is that they think all the skills of hurling are difficult to master and they definitely all think any hurling skill is more difficult to perform than its football equivalent but this isn't true and the free is certainly one example of this.

milltown row

Rubbish
by your definition then football is harder to master than hurling. so for instance a soccer player can strike a ball over the bar as the skill is not difficult to master. and he'd have a problem kicking a Gaelic football over the bar because it's more difficult ??? ???

very simple. if your club is a dual club then ask the football only players (you know the ones, always on the treatment table, getting their winter green on and fixing their hair) to try striking the ball over the bar with a hurl, then go to the hurling only lads and i'll bet they'll have far more success

Maroon Heaven

One of the easiest things in hurling is lifting the ball dead off the ground and striking it.... Some of you hurlers would swear it takes some gift handed down from god....

The skill of hurling revolves around striking the ball on the run, catching and the wrist action during play...

If you had a team of 6 year olds training with hurls and gaelic balls you'll find the kids would be scoring points using hurls rather then place kicking...

Maroon Heaven

Say we had Shefflin, Peter Canavan, Wilkinson and Vinitari standing on the Touchline at the 40, who would you bet your house on scoring...

Shefflin for me, then Canavan then Wilkinson... Vinitari would be allowed move his ball in so he has at least a 40% angle

BallyhaiseMan

Played a bit of rugby in my time,found a rughy ball  far easier to kick from the ground,id have no doubt i could hit 5-6/10 from 40-45 metres.
Playing Gaelic Football my whole life,
and still i can only hit  an odd 45 over the bar.

Hardy

Quote from: milltown row on January 30, 2009, 06:12:59 PM
very simple. if your club is a dual club then ask the football only players ... to try striking the ball over the bar with a hurl, then go to the hurling only lads and i'll bet they'll have far more success

I presume you mean get the hurlers to kick a football? In that case, I'd put any money you like on any random set of footballers taking hurling frees from say 45m to outscore heavily any random set of hurlers kicking a football from the same distance. Or from a lot closer in, for that matter. For the reasons given by Bordnamona man and from observing the relative scoring rates from hurling 65s, for instance and football 45s.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Zulu on January 30, 2009, 05:48:22 PM
The point I was making is that scoring from a free is one of the easier aspects of hurling, a complete novice (if such a thing existed) at football would find it just as hard to kick a free as he would to puck a free over the bar. I've played as much hurling as I have football but one thing I've found to be true of hurling folk is that they think all the skills of hurling are difficult to master and they definitely all think any hurling skill is more difficult to perform than its football equivalent but this isn't true and the free is certainly one example of this.

Agree, they'd sicken your hole.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Minder

But its true pints,hurling has a far higher skill level than football. I was always told that football was for those that could not master hurling.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Hardy

I'd guess you were told that by hurling people?

Fastest field game in the world, you know. Does anyone know what that means?

east down gael

i have a friend who would be quite athletic but never really played much sport.if i brought him down to a pitch and gave him a hurl,an o'neills,an american football and a rugby ball i reckon after say a week of practice he would have managed to score with each ball.
    if i put a sliotar down on the sideline and asked him to cut it over the bar a la joe canning,i could come back in a year and he still wouldnt have come close!

Zulu

Rubbish
by your definition then football is harder to master than hurling. so for instance a soccer player can strike a ball over the bar as the skill is not difficult to master. and he'd have a problem kicking a Gaelic football over the bar because it's more difficult ??? ???

very simple. if your club is a dual club then ask the football only players (you know the ones, always on the treatment table, getting their winter green on and fixing their hair) to try striking the ball over the bar with a hurl, then go to the hurling only lads and i'll bet they'll have far more success

What I said, if you care to re-read my post, is that there are aspects/skills of football which are more difficult than hurling to master and vice versa. I won't get into a debate with you about which sport is 'more skillful' as that is surely the most pathetic argument that GAA men can engage in. Your point, if that what it is, about soccer and football is nonsensical and your comment on footballers indicates you're from the  'football is only for bad hurlers' brigade, the most pathetic of all GAA men.

I've played with many lads over the years who were good at both codes and many lads who were poor at one or the other, there was no trend. I know plenty of very good hurlers who, despite playing as much football, are woeful footballers, likewise I know very good footballers that are useless hurlers, that is the nature of sport.

In my club most lads played both codes all the way up to U21 (at least) and all of them would be better at scoring frees in hurling than football, why? because it is easier, none of them would have any difficulty in the technique, the ball flight is truer and wind or underfoot conditions are less of a factor. But so what? Does that make hurling less of a game or inferior to football? Of course not and why some hurling 'heads' get all hot and bothered at the very notion that someone would suggest that any aspect of hurling isn't one of the most difficult things in the world to master I'll never know. I've been involved in hurling all my life to one degree or another but I've never bought into the 'riverdance' of sport bullshit that some fellas go on with.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Hardy on January 30, 2009, 06:40:02 PM
very simple. if your club is a dual club then ask the football only players ... to try striking the ball over the bar with a hurl, then go to the hurling only lads and i'll bet they'll have far more success

I presume you mean get the hurlers to kick a football? In that case, I'd put any money you like on any random set of footballers taking hurling frees from say 45m to outscore heavily any random set of hurlers kicking a football from the same distance. Or from a lot closer in, for that matter. 

I would put any money on it that your wrong...
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 30, 2009, 06:48:24 PM
Quote from: Zulu on January 30, 2009, 05:48:22 PM

Agree, they'd sicken your hole.

I'd say they are nearly as bad as the staunch football men who belittle hurling...
You'll Never Walk Alone.

milltown row

Zulu i play football and Hurling for Naomh Gall, i'd say were are a good enough football team and a good intermediate hurling club. my opinion is based on my own judgement.

your pathetic attempt at saying hurling is easier is based on your judgement, thats ok i think your talking rubbish, i also find that most, footballers who don't play hurling, are less manly, but again thats just my judgement ;D