Ex-treasurer told to repay €100,000 stolen from GAA

Started by thebandit, January 29, 2009, 05:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebandit

From independent.ie

QuoteA FORMER GAA club treasurer has been warned by a judge that she must repay almost €100,000 she stole from it if she wants to avoid a long jail sentence.

Patricia Carroll (49), from Chapel Street, Kilfinane, Co Limerick, has put her family home up for sale in a bid to repay Blackrock GAA club in south Limerick the €98,316 she stole between October 2005 and March 2007.

However, Judge Carroll Moran was informed that because of the current economic climate, the mother, who comes from a well-respected GAA family, has been unable to sell the property.

Ms Carroll, who pleaded guilty at Limerick Circuit Court to multiple charges of forging cheques to the value of €34,773 and stealing €63,543 from the weekly club lotto, has been jailed until tomorrow's sentencing.

Prosecuting barrister Michael Collins told the court that the club's balance sheets had been altered by the guilty party to cover her tracks.

Lotto

Although Ms Carroll did not attend the lotto draws, she insisted that the money be dropped into her home so it could be lodged in her account, the court heard.

Retired Det Gda Tim Hartnett told the court that the club learned their finances were not in order in 2007 when a man who sanded their GAA field was left with an outstanding bill of €7,780, while Limerick dog track received a cheque for €3,200 which bounced.

Club chairman George Douglas called to Ms Carroll's home, and was informed that she was in financial difficulties and the club's solicitor advised Mr Douglas that they contact the gardai.

Det Gda Hartnett said she admitted taking the money over the course of four interviews, but did not realise the amounts were so high.

Ms Carroll's family come from the Kilmallock/Kilfinane area of Limerick and she has one daughter. Her father was a well-respected member of Blackrock GAA club and also served on the county's south GAA board. She had no previous convictions prior to these offences.

Mr Collins said the GAA club operated on a shoestring budget and relied on the support of the local community and were struggling "big time" as a result of the theft.

Defence barrister Mark Nicholas said her house has been put up for sale and an offer of €80,000 was made, but it fell through. The house remained on the market and a second auctioneer has been appointed.

"She is utterly regretful for what she did and has no trappings of wealth. Her reputation is in tatters. She is now ridiculed and that will continue for the future," commented Mr Nicholas, who added that what happened to the GAA was "a disgrace".

He added that Ms Carroll was quite prepared for a legal charge to be put in place on her property for the GAA club.

Judge Moran noted that the legal charge for the club would be better than nothing, but said it "will not help the GAA club for the foreseeable future".

"They (Blackrock GAA) need the money in liquid form," he said.

"I'm not making any promise that I will not impose a prison sentence, but there is no question that the money must be refunded to the club if there is any alternative to a long prison sentence," Judge Moran said.

"Clearly, I accept we are living in a time when there is no movement in residential property. Nobody knows how long this will last, but it won't last forever. It's all very well bemoaning the present economic state, but where does it get us," he continued.

Judge Moran adjourned the case until tomorrow and ordered that Ms Carroll be kept in custody until then.

Maguire01

You're right - it has nothing to do with qualifications and everything to do with honesty and integrity.

QuoteMr Collins said the GAA club operated on a shoestring budget and relied on the support of the local community and were struggling "big time" as a result of the theft.
If they operated on a shoestring budget, surely they should have noticed that €100k was missing a bit sooner?!

thebandit

She was obviously a well respected and trusted member of the community in order to have had this sort of access to club funds. You'd have to be very sorry for her family. But she should be made pay every penny back or face jail - regardless of the state of the property market.

tyssam5

So I know the property market not superb right now, but what kind of a house can you put up for E80k?

Billys Boots

Sure the money was only resting in her account, Dougal!
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

bingobus

What the hell did she do with €100,00 with in 18 months. She must have cleared her mortgage or went on one hell of a spending spree.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 29, 2009, 10:02:54 PM
You're right - it has nothing to do with qualifications and everything to do with honesty and integrity.

QuoteMr Collins said the GAA club operated on a shoestring budget and relied on the support of the local community and were struggling "big time" as a result of the theft.
If they operated on a shoestring budget, surely they should have noticed that €100k was missing a bit sooner?!

who would know ?
How many people have access to your clubs financial dealings or current bank balance ?

longrunsthefox

there is nothing has been as open to swindling down the years as GAA club money especially in the North with no chance of police being called in. Is such a temptation...take few quid and next thing way over your head... just a theory  :o

thebandit

There are roughly 78 weeks in 18 months

€100,000 divided by 78 weeks = €1282.05.

Any other advice needed sir?

Hardy

Quote from: bingobus on January 30, 2009, 05:42:10 PM

Month, I meant month  ;D  ;D Thanks f**k the receptionist checks my outgoing post.

You're still a little on the high side, though - but only by a factor of a thousand. :P

bingobus

Quote from: Hardy on January 30, 2009, 06:29:00 PM
Quote from: bingobus on January 30, 2009, 05:42:10 PM

Month, I meant month  ;D  ;D Thanks f**k the receptionist checks my outgoing post.

You're still a little on the high side, though - but only by a factor of a thousand. :P

I deducted my monthly fee. (€5,555 per month - 100,000/18 months  ;) )

Main Street

Is this an unusual judgement?
The fact that she can not sell the property should not mitigate against her punishment but this is a first offense
and she is prepared (I think) that the club could be given the deeds to the property.
Her remorse appears to be total and also her willingness to repay all she stole.

Anyway I'd consider that the club are liable to a certain degree for not having proper check and balance procedures.
The level of temptation was high.
The practice of having proper procedures in place are to make fraud much more difficult to enact and the connected people are less likely to consider fraud  as a way out of their own difficulties.
Many basically good and decent people can be thrown off balance by temptation. It can start of as  'I'll only take a bit and I'll put it back next month' type of thing

Maguire01

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 30, 2009, 03:41:40 PM

who would know ?
How many people have access to your clubs financial dealings or current bank balance ?

Surely more than one person - that's my point!

Zapatista

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 31, 2009, 01:02:09 PM

who would know ?

I'd say if the books were doctored well you would have no idea untill the cheque bounced.

Maguire01

Quote from: Zapatista on January 31, 2009, 01:06:19 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on January 31, 2009, 01:02:09 PM

who would know ?

I'd say if the books were doctored well you would have no idea untill the cheque bounced.
So no one else would sign off a bank rec / see bank statements? really?