The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minus15

for me alonso is class. i think we should keep him. hes only 26 or something so you could still get a hefty amount for him in a couple of years. I also like the idea of Barry. Think Rafa maybe just wants to take a different approach to the midfield replacing the pass master with someone with a bit more buzz to get around the pitch. in effect taking up the role of gerrard in midfield allowing him to continue further forward. With Masch there I think he could cope on his own as a holding midfielder and Barry would help.
But in an ideal world i would like to see both at Anfield next season. for the big games xabi and masch in the middle. barry down the left. dirk on the right or hopefullly a new winger and gerrard behind torres. Alonso just has to stay. foot injury kept him out for a good 4 months. against arsenal at anfield in champ league he was immense. u just couldn't replace him in my opinion.
If the funds are available keep him and ship lucas out on loan to villa or someone to make room for barry!

The Real Laoislad

I like Lucas and would like to see more of him next season....
Don't argee with Kuyt on the wing next season i think we need two new wingers right and left
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Minus15

i agree with u on both counts in that i like lucas and there has to be better out there than kuyt. but for the work he puts in if liverpool havent signed a good winger then hr will be in the team most of the time. Lucas i dont think will get a huge amount of game time compared with the other midfielders. i just feel a year of regular football in a team likely to be in Europe would be good for his development. and a loan to Villa may be enough to bring the barry fee down enough to keep alonso.

Mentalman

I would be sad to see Xabi move on. A genuine class midfielder in the best traditions of holding the ball and passing. Unfortunately not enough of that type of football has been seen from him over the last 18 months for one reason and another. In saying that the only reason I could see for moving him on at this point are that he is genuinely unhappy at Anfield - either with his role in the system, the manager or life in England generally - or that he may have long term fitness issues. Either way he would be a loss and a major gain for Juventus or which ever club are lucky enough to get him.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

stevo-08

Alonso is a technically class player but for whatever reason he has been in very poor form for the last 18months. And I always thought he lacked a bit of pace and has got found out on a few occassions for that.

With Gerrard, Mascherano, Lucas & possibly Barry, we wont be lacking in the CM area. We need to add quality on the wings & possibly another partner for torres up front. Would love to see alono staying in the club, but unfortunately we need to raise money before spending so I can see Rafa's logic.

If he does go, I wish him all the best in Turin.

Minder

Would also be sad to see him go but his form has been indifferent the last 12-18mths, one thing that does not go in his favour is he is not athletic and can be over run by a strong running midfielder (Essien for example). He was great at controlling the tempo of the game because his passing was so good and varied,not sure who is going to do a similar job (and if Barry is the answer i would love to know what the question is) A couple of years ago he was a bigger miss to the team than Gerrard. He maybe just needs a fresh challenge.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Norf Tyrone

Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

stevo-08

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on May 30, 2008, 09:20:41 AM
Quote from: An Fear Rua on May 29, 2008, 08:28:22 PM
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N160045080529-0847.htm

good to see

Never knew about the Irish fella before. Where was he from?

must admit I was surprised to read that myself. Always thought it was 38 Italians and 1 Belgian that died that day. It's even mentioned that way in another section of the LFC site  http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/lfc_story/heysel/

But certainly Patrick Radcliffe is one of the 39 fans who never came home that day. Not much about him on the net - from Northern Ireland and worked in the Public Records Office.

corn02

Did not know that, anyonme know what part he was from.

Chrisowc

Carrickfergus I think?  Could be wrong though.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

magpie seanie

Alonso is an excellent midfielder but obviously his face doesn't fit with Benitez' tactics.

corn02

Perhaps Fifa 6-5 ruling tipped the balance.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 30, 2008, 01:38:39 PM
Alonso is an excellent midfielder but obviously his face doesn't fit with Benitez' tactics.

I doubt that seeing as Benitez bought him and he's pretty much been a regular ever since. I think he'd like to hang onto him if he could but obviously we have to sell players in order to buy players.

Uladh

Quote from: corn02 on May 30, 2008, 01:44:36 PM
Perhaps Fifa 6-5 ruling tipped the balance.

Like that'll see the light of day

stevo-08

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 30, 2008, 02:09:10 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on May 30, 2008, 01:38:39 PM

I doubt that seeing as Benitez bought him and he's pretty much been a regular ever since. I think he'd like to hang onto him if he could but obviously we have to sell players in order to buy players.

Spot on GBB. No doubt Rafa would love to hang onto Alosno, if for only the CL games alone. But we just dont have the financial clout of Man U or Chelsea who can just buy as they wish. Alonso had 2 superb years at Liverpool but his form has dipped significantly since and he was sometimes found wanting against the top teams in the PL due to his lack of pace.