26 Counties residents defaulting on parking fines in the occupied 6

Started by T Fearon, January 27, 2009, 02:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil Genius

Quote from: his holiness nb on January 28, 2009, 01:31:18 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on January 27, 2009, 03:35:41 PM
Of course, it is also in the interests of everyone in NI to encourage shoppers and tourists etc from across the Border. In which case they should consider replicating something I saw in a small tourist town in North Wales recently, where parking was at a premium. Basically, there were a number of small car parks where you had to buy a ticket, but you could get the cost reimbursed against subsequent purchases in nearby shops and bars etc.  Away from the main road (i.e. where the tourists congregated), the car parks were regular "Pay and Display", and on the edge of town (i.e. too far for lazy day-trippers to walk), they were free. That way, everyone benefited - locals, businesses, Council and Visitors.

With a bit of ingenuity, there's no reason why NI towns couldn't introduce something similar as an incentive to cross-border visitors, with the sanction being that any Southern-registered car which still doesn't have a ticket gets clamped.

Sounds like a decent plan, but surely you mean ALL cars without tickets should be clamped, not just Southern registered cars?

No, I don't mean all cars without a ticket should be clamped. The problem with clamping is that as well as being much more expensive than merely issuing a parking ticket, it means that the offending vehicle will only remain in the wrong place longer than it otherwise might have, so compounding the problem, not solving it.

Therefore, clamping should be reserved as a deterrent only to be used for those for whom ordinary parking tickets are ineffective i.e. vehicles from another* jurisdiction.

* - You may substitute "any non-UK registered car" for where I originally posted "any Southern-registered car". And in the Republic, domestic-registered cars should only get a ticket, but all others be liable to be clamped.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

his holiness nb

Quote from: Evil Genius on January 28, 2009, 05:20:58 PM
* - You may substitute "any non-UK registered car" for where I originally posted "any Southern-registered car". And in the Republic, domestic-registered cars should only get a ticket, but all others be liable to be clamped.

Well thats more like it, and less controversial  ;)

And I actually agree with you  :-\
Ask me holy bollix

downgirl

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 28, 2009, 01:52:14 PM
Quote from: downgirl on January 28, 2009, 01:39:40 PM
Well whoever owns the M50 now (is it the Irish government or a private company?) will be losing out from northern cars going through that toll... I have been through it a few times and haven't received any bills, and my dad have been through it 10 times or more and only got 4 bills.  Maybe it will even out with the parking fines not being paid  :D
You will get a bill. It may be several months later, but it will come, and it will be more expensive that if you had paid in advance or straight after.

No its not, the ones my dad were for £2.43 each or something. 

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 28, 2009, 01:54:49 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 27, 2009, 09:13:32 PM
never paid for parking on the street in my life.  I pay road tax to drive on the road and I'm expected to pay agian if I want to stop the car?  They can go f**k themselves.
On-street parking charges are generally to stop people parking on the street for long periods of time (i.e. several hours or all day). It's generally only enforced in town/city centres. It allows people to park up and run and do a few messages, rather than people taking up these spaces all day. There is logic to it.

People who have to park somewhere all day pay road tax too, they'd be allowed to drive around all day on the road their paying for so why arent they allowed to park all day?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?