26 Counties residents defaulting on parking fines in the occupied 6

Started by T Fearon, January 27, 2009, 02:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

QuoteThere is no legal or practical way a parking firm can recover non-payment from people in another jurisdiction.

This is not quite true. With a similar problem, Dundalk just handed over the list of people who had multiple unpaid tickets to debt collectors, who provided a shock to quite a few folks in the Newry/S Armagh area. People who own cars often have loans and having a judgement against you can be inconvenient. Not feasible if someone has a ticket or two, but very feasible if you are taking the piss. One "mexican" student at QUB has 500 tickets.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Maguire01

Quote from: T Fearon on January 27, 2009, 03:28:58 PM
Evil Genius there is no "lost revenue" in this instance as such. If everyone parked legally there would be no revenue from this source whatsoever, therefore it is a windfall revenue at best.
Surely some of these tickets are due to people not paying for on-street parking? Is so, then it clearly is a loss of revenue.

What's the story with arrangements in place that we (in the north) can be chased for M50 toll charges, yet charges can't be followed up the other way around? Surely the the politicians in the North should make arrangements to either chase these fines or to cease cooperation with the recovery of M50 tolls from northern drivers?

armaghniac

QuoteSurely the the politicians in the North should make arrangements to either chase these fines or to cease cooperation with the recovery of M50 tolls from northern drivers?

The North is insular on these matters as in so many others. They cannot cease cooperation as the EU has requirements for authorities to cooperate with the enforcement of fines but they don't seem to be able to figure out how to avail of such cooperation with the Freestate.

charlie stubbs

Quote from: full back on January 27, 2009, 02:57:02 PM
Just clamp them, same as the fcukers round CP do.........

just what i thought when saw the thread

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 27, 2009, 02:45:52 PM
What goes around comes around...

I'm perfectly happy with that arrangement. 

never paid for parking on the street in my life.  I pay road tax to drive on the road and I'm expected to pay agian if I want to stop the car?  They can go f**k themselves.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

comethekingdom

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 27, 2009, 09:13:32 PM

never paid for parking on the street in my life.  I pay road tax to drive on the road and I'm expected to pay agian if I want to stop the car?  They can go f**k themselves.

No harm to you pints but that is a stereotypical northern attitude - use away and pay for nothing! Parking charges are there for a number of reasons, namely to eliminate parking chaos and raise revenue for upkeep of public streets carpark etc. I dont agree with arseholes that clamp for no reason but there has to be some way of keeping law and order.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: comethekingdom on January 27, 2009, 10:10:18 PM

No harm to you pints but that is a stereotypical northern attitude - use away and pay for nothing! Parking charges are there for a number of reasons, namely to eliminate parking chaos and raise revenue for upkeep of public streets carpark etc. I dont agree with arseholes that clamp for no reason but there has to be some way of keeping law and order.
What's northern about it?
If I park wrong and get clamped then fair enough - that's the punishment -  but after paying road tax why do I have to pay again to stop the car?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

his holiness nb

Quote from: Evil Genius on January 27, 2009, 03:35:41 PM
Of course, it is also in the interests of everyone in NI to encourage shoppers and tourists etc from across the Border. In which case they should consider replicating something I saw in a small tourist town in North Wales recently, where parking was at a premium. Basically, there were a number of small car parks where you had to buy a ticket, but you could get the cost reimbursed against subsequent purchases in nearby shops and bars etc.  Away from the main road (i.e. where the tourists congregated), the car parks were regular "Pay and Display", and on the edge of town (i.e. too far for lazy day-trippers to walk), they were free. That way, everyone benefited - locals, businesses, Council and Visitors.

With a bit of ingenuity, there's no reason why NI towns couldn't introduce something similar as an incentive to cross-border visitors, with the sanction being that any Southern-registered car which still doesn't have a ticket gets clamped.

Sounds like a decent plan, but surely you mean ALL cars without tickets should be clamped, not just Southern registered cars?
Ask me holy bollix

downgirl

Well whoever owns the M50 now (is it the Irish government or a private company?) will be losing out from northern cars going through that toll... I have been through it a few times and haven't received any bills, and my dad have been through it 10 times or more and only got 4 bills.  Maybe it will even out with the parking fines not being paid  :D

Maguire01

Quote from: downgirl on January 28, 2009, 01:39:40 PM
Well whoever owns the M50 now (is it the Irish government or a private company?) will be losing out from northern cars going through that toll... I have been through it a few times and haven't received any bills, and my dad have been through it 10 times or more and only got 4 bills.  Maybe it will even out with the parking fines not being paid  :D
You will get a bill. It may be several months later, but it will come, and it will be more expensive that if you had paid in advance or straight after.

Maguire01

On-street parking charges are generally to stop people parking on the street for long periods of time (i.e. several hours or all day). It's generally only enforced in town/city centres. It allows people to park up and run and do a few messages, rather than people taking up these spaces all day. There is logic to it.

armaghniac

QuoteSounds like a decent plan, but surely you mean ALL cars without tickets should be clamped, not just Southern registered cars?

The proper thing with clamping is that it should be introduced for people that haven't paid their tickets. In Dublin it is too severe, a ticket is a proper response to overstaying on a meter. Scofflaws who don't pay the tickets should be clamped. In the North they will clamp you if your road tax is one day out (and in the post) but not if you have hundreds of unpaid parking tickets. 

Bensars

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 28, 2009, 01:52:14 PM
Quote from: downgirl on January 28, 2009, 01:39:40 PM
You will get a bill. It may be several months later, but it will come, and it will be more expensive that if you had paid in advance or straight after.

I recently recieved two of these beauties through the post. 4 very clear photographs of reg within both.

I thought there was an agreement betweeen the relevent bodies north and south in regards of sharing details on car ownership. Someone banned in south would also be banned in north etc.     or am i wrong ?