NFL DIV3

Started by mattockranger, January 27, 2009, 01:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Juts an observation mate- None of your players seem to fufill their potential at senior level. Has to be a reason for it. Based on that You'll struggle to make the last 16. Tipp are a better outfit than they are given credit for but at the same time -you would have expected with down's track record they would be beating them.

Throw ball

Never got to see much of match but would like to say well done to Tipp. Read an article about their manager in Tribune a week or two ago. He seems quite a character but is doing a good job. Would also like to say that when Daniel Hughes scored that great solo point it was good to see him go round a defender who a left the arm in and not grap the arm and try and win a free. Lets hope we see more like this from other forwards in the summer!

mournerambler

Does anyone know what the attendance was for the game? I'd say there wasn't 1000 people at it due to those gobsh_tes in Croke Park deciding to play it in Longford.

Maguire01

Quote from: mournerambler on April 25, 2009, 10:36:35 PM
Does anyone know what the attendance was for the game? I'd say there wasn't 1000 people at it due to those gobsh_tes in Croke Park deciding to play it in Longford.
It looked brutal on the TV. Even worse once the Sligo fans left. At the end of the second game there was probably only about 500 there. Should have been in Dublin.

mountainboii

Quote from: INDIANA on April 25, 2009, 10:21:44 PM
Juts an observation mate- None of your players seem to fufill their potential at senior level. Has to be a reason for it. Based on that You'll struggle to make the last 16. Tipp are a better outfit than they are given credit for but at the same time -you would have expected with down's track record they would be beating them.

Have they really had that many great underage teams?

The 1999 minor team provided a lot of players but Down weren't in great shape at the start of the decade so this team was never going to be able to solve all their problems. The 2005 minor team are only beginning to make their mark at senior level, and unfortunately for Down the guy that made that team special no longer plays gaelic football.

They've won a few Ulster U21s in the last 3 or 4 years, maybe these lads will come good over the next year or two  :-\ Hopefully not  :P

mournerambler

And what do you have to shout & roar about, given the fact that your an Armagh supporter?

INDIANA

They have AFS they lost to galway in an u21 all-ireland final in 2004/2005? they own the minor all-ireland in 2005 they've won the last 2 u21 ulster titles and are in an all-ireland u21 final this year- what the hell happens to them that they tend to underperform so badly at senior level. They'd do worse than get the likes of mickey linden involved at senior level.

mountainboii

Quote from: mournerambler on April 25, 2009, 11:35:27 PM
And what do you have to shout & roar about, given the fact that your an Armagh supporter?

Very sensitive, aren't we?  ::)

In the absence of any Down supporter making a contribution, I was merely trying to answer INDIANA's question. If you actually read what I posted you'd see my main point is that much of Down's underage success has come in the last 3 or 4 years and that its maybe a year or two too early to be expecting many off these teams to be making waves at senior level. What's wrong with that?

mournerambler

Quote from: INDIANA on April 25, 2009, 11:48:09 PM
They have AFS they lost to galway in an u21 all-ireland final in 2004/2005? they own the minor all-ireland in 2005 they've won the last 2 u21 ulster titles and are in an all-ireland u21 final this year- what the hell happens to them that they tend to underperform so badly at senior level. They'd do worse than get the likes of mickey linden involved at senior level.
In fairness INDIANA I'd say Micky is a wee bit over the hill ;D

mountainboii

Quote from: INDIANA on April 25, 2009, 11:48:09 PM

They probably would've expected to get more from the 2005 U21 team, can't really explain that. But most of the lads from their 2005 minor team/ 2008 and 2009 U21 teams would only be 21-22 at the most so maybe its a year or two too early to write them off. I expect lads like Peter Fitzpatrick and Paul McComiskey to be big players for them for the next decade.

mournerambler

Quote from: AFS on April 25, 2009, 11:49:43 PM

In the absence of any Down supporter making a contribution, I was merely trying to answer INDIANA's question. If you actually read what I posted you'd see my main point is that much of Down's underage success has come in the last 3 or 4 years and that its maybe a year or two too early to be expecting many off these teams to be making waves at senior level. What's wrong with that?
Just a few facts AFS;
All-Ireland Minor titles in 1977, 1987, 1999, 2005
All-Ireland U21 title in 1979
Maybe you would be best saving your expert analysis for your own County's imminent demise :D

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: mournerambler on April 25, 2009, 11:58:41 PM

Just a few facts AFS;
Maybe you would be best saving your expert analysis for your own County's imminent demise :D

First time I heard a Down man tell me about Armagh's imminent demise was in July 2002.  :)

Also think that the 1977 and 1979 lads will struggle to make an impact this year.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

mournerambler

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on April 26, 2009, 12:02:11 AM

Just a few facts AFS;

First time I heard a Down man tell me about Armagh's imminent demise was in July 2002.  :)

Also think that the 1977 and 1979 lads will struggle to make an impact this year.
I was only stating fact & that AFS' post about most of our underage success coming in the last 3-4 years wasn't true, not my problem if your fellow County man loses track of Down's All-Ireland successes!

mountainboii

Just a few facts AFS;

My thoughts exactly.  :D ::)

Jeez, I shouldn't have opened my mouth. I genuinely didn't think I was being critical of Down at all. If anything, I felt I was defending them against the criticism that their players are not fulfilling their potential, by highlighting the fact that many are still too young to be written off.

mountainboii

Quote from: mournerambler on April 26, 2009, 12:12:10 AM

Just a few facts AFS;

I was only stating fact & that AFS' post about most of our underage success coming in the last 3-4 years wasn't true, not my problem if your fellow County man loses track of Down's All-Ireland successes!

Did you seriously not realise that we were on about recent successes? i.e. players and teams that are still relevant? I'm pretty sure INDIANA wasn't on about Down minor teams from 3 decades ago when he spoke about underage players not developing.