2009 Grand Slam Champions

Started by Dinny Breen, January 27, 2009, 11:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

When O´Driscoll hit the international scene with a bullet wasn't he the D4 pin up golden boy of the Rugby scene?
Nowadays, especially at the end of a game game, he looks like he has morphed into a  punch drunk docker with 10 thousand hangovers notched.

Nobody can complain about his working class cred.

ludermor

Quote from: Gnevin on March 23, 2009, 04:32:39 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on March 23, 2009, 04:24:38 PM
Well "crouch, touch, hold, engage" must have been in the old rules cos I definitely heard it as well.
It used to be crouch , hold ,engage but the hold wasn't long enough so it was changed to crouch , pause ,engage. However the distance between the front rows was getting to big so it is now.  Crouch , touch ,pause ,engage.

http://www.rugbyrefs.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-1632.html

Good discussion from refs when the new rules were introduced.

aroundincircles

Watched my first FULL rugby match ever on saturday i have to say  the level of discipline towards the referee is unreal and then when game was over the level of respect the players seem to have for each other, this is maybe something us gaa folk could do in perfecting i really enjoyed the game i was never a rugby fan before saturday i would even say i was a "begrudger" now i would describe myself as nearly converted after seeing what it means to alot of people in every corner of ireland as a result of all i have seen and heard this last few days well done to all concerned i hope you all really enjoy your moment of glory.

tyroneboi

Just to add to the debate earlier today about whether Jones missed on purpose or whatever, I genuinely dont believe that to be the case. People said that he took the kick quickly, Jones has a pretty quick routine as it is and the last kick was no different to his other kicks really. Then there was the way he charged/threw himself at O'Gara's drop goal at the end suggests that he desperately wanted to win the game. The kick at the end brought together a mixture of pressure and tiredness and both these factors were a massive influence in missing the kick. 80 minutes of heavy tackling is bound to take its toll on any player. The similar kick in the first half that he scored was done with very little pressure attached to it at that time with half time in 2 minutes.

As someone said out earlier though, some people are never happy!

muppet

In 2003 (I think) Jones dropped a late goal to put Wales ahead with a couple of minutes to go. O'Gara who had just come on for Humphries then mishit a drop goal attempt but it limped over to give us the win.

Jones would have wished to have had another kick that day for the win and when the offer turned up last saturday there is no way he would have wanted to miss it.
MWWSI 2017

bcarrier

Id say Jones actually kicked ball further than Hensons earlier effort.

See brian moore is gracious as usual..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/ireland/5032640/Greatness-is-still-unproven-for-Irelands-euphoric-Grand-Slam-winners.htm

some good responses.

AZOffaly

Lads, I can't believe any of ye are seriously taking the bait that has been thrown about in regard to Jones? Have ye been drinking since Saturday? :D

Hound

Back from a fantastic weekend in Cardiff. What an occassion. And how close we were to despair. (The comments about Jones missing on purpose are pure idiotic).

The noise in the stadium when Philips made the late break in the 2nd half that led to the DG, was the loudest I've ever heard at a match. The Millenium Stadium is a magnificent venue.

ludermor

Did anyone hear Eddie O'Sullivan on the last word yesterday? I must say he came across very well and was extremely gracious and genuine.

gallsman

Quote from: ludermor on March 24, 2009, 10:42:21 AM
Did anyone hear Eddie O'Sullivan on the last word yesterday? I must say he came across very well and was extremely gracious and genuine.

He was never anything but. Half the bad words said about O'Sullivan stem from that plank Hook. On RTE's homecoming programme, he refused to acknowledge that O'Sullivan deserved any praise or recognition whatsoever, much to the amusement of Pope and McGurk.

Capt Pat

Quote from: tyroneboi on March 23, 2009, 08:16:48 PM
Just to add to the debate earlier today about whether Jones missed on purpose or whatever, I genuinely dont believe that to be the case. People said that he took the kick quickly, Jones has a pretty quick routine as it is and the last kick was no different to his other kicks really. Then there was the way he charged/threw himself at O'Gara's drop goal at the end suggests that he desperately wanted to win the game. The kick at the end brought together a mixture of pressure and tiredness and both these factors were a massive influence in missing the kick. 80 minutes of heavy tackling is bound to take its toll on any player. The similar kick in the first half that he scored was done with very little pressure attached to it at that time with half time in 2 minutes.

As someone said out earlier though, some people are never happy!

He did not miss that kick on purpose, that is an absolutely ridiculous assertion. The other thing is if I was to attempt such a thing I would put it wide or drop ot well short, it actually dropped about a yard short. What sort of a man do you think Stephen Jones is that he would try such a thing.

rrhf

I would be more concerned with all the players kissing the president.  Have they no decorum? 

ziggysego

She seemed to be enjoying herself.
Testing Accessibility

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: gallsman on March 24, 2009, 10:47:00 AM
Quote from: ludermor on March 24, 2009, 10:42:21 AM

He was never anything but. Half the bad words said about O'Sullivan stem from that plank Hook. On RTE's homecoming programme, he refused to acknowledge that O'Sullivan deserved any praise or recognition whatsoever, much to the amusement of Pope and McGurk.
You'd have to feel a bit Eddie O'Sullivan.
For the first couple of years he was going up against the best team in the world in the 6 nations. Something Kidney hasn't had to contend with.
In 2007 Ireland were good for the Grand Slam and were unlucky to lose to France.
Granted he let things slip towards the end of his reign, but he definitely brought Ireland a long way on from the "give it a lash" days of old.

thewobbler

Have to echo the comments above from Eddie O'Sullivan. His managerial stint might have ended acrimoniously, but he couldn't have come across as more gracious or more supportive when on the Last Word the other evening. The mark of a leader.