2009 Grand Slam Champions

Started by Dinny Breen, January 27, 2009, 11:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

The other thing lads is that a lot of these lads will be in the Lions squad together, I for one would find it hard to talk to someone after I had shattered their sporting dreams for the sake of a second place trophy.  I think the whole lot got to Jones and he just couldn't hack it, which for such a highly trained sports man is very strange and that is why I suspect there may be more to his thought process.  

Tim Buzaglo

Is this actually a serious discussion or have a whole load of wind up merchants got together this morning and decided to peddle this theory to the annoyance of the general population?  Probably the most ridiculous pile of clap trap seen in a thread that is not started by T Fearon/based on Northern political arguments.
Will we ever see another one?

full back

The final kick on Saturday was 48 metres out
His earlier kick was 49 metres, so it was well within his reach
While I acknowledge the doubters, is it really possible for him to drop it short by the minimum amount (short of hitting the crossbar) ?

stephenite

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 23, 2009, 12:11:47 PM
 I think the whole lot got to Jones and he just couldn't hack it, which for such a highly trained sports man is very strange and that is why I suspect there may be more to his thought process.  

The fact that he missed certainly means he couldn't hack it, however history is littered with those who have choked when the last kick of a game decides the outcome of the tournament. Did Baggio deliberatley miss the penalty in the shoot out of the World Cup final in 1994?

It's more mental than anything and all the training and coaching in the world won't help you when you're on the pitch and everyone is staring at you, the brain starts wondering about what'll happen if you miss and you're fucked.

Croí na hÉireann

Wouldn't watch much rugby apart from the internationals but really enjoyed the game on Saturday. Thought it was a horrible way to end it what with Jones dropping it short but the debate here is making up for that  :D (well apart from GNevins contributions). Thought we should have wound down the last few minutes by going from ruck to ruck. Fair play to O'Gara, nightmare in the first half but pulled it out in the second. O'Driscoll this year has led by example, has cut out the smirking, been focussed on the job and played some outstanding rugby. O'Connell has been rightly lauded as well but the unsung hero for me on Sat was Tommy Bowe. Made some fantastic breaks and didn't put a foot wrong. Great day for Irish sport, well apart from the Westmeath U21s...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

mrsandman

Quote from: Tim Buzaglo on March 23, 2009, 12:15:58 PM
Is this actually a serious discussion or have a whole load of wind up merchants got together this morning and decided to peddle this theory to the annoyance of the general population?  Probably the most ridiculous pile of clap trap seen in a thread that is not started by T Fearon/based on Northern political arguments.

Somebody has to be takin the piss, i definitely was. Although now that i think about it, Jones' kick at the end was definitely as easy one from 48yds, so he obviously dropped it short on purpose, deep down he wanted Ireland to win the Grand Slam, so he was tellin me anyway...but i reckon he got a big payoff. He does look good in green, maybe we should swap him for O'Gara.
Constipated People Don't Give A crap.

Dinny Breen

Surprised no-one has suggested that ROG probably had a couple of grand on Ireland with a -1 handicapp and that's the real reason he went over to SJ in the end..maybe SJ was in on it as well.
#newbridgeornowhere

mrsandman

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 23, 2009, 12:31:06 PM
Surprised no-one has suggested that ROG probably had a couple of grand on Ireland with a -1 handicapp and that's the real reason he went over to SJ in the end..maybe SJ was in on it as well.

You'll never believe it but Jones had 5 grand on Wales -2
Constipated People Don't Give A crap.

longrunsthefox

WHAT ABOUT HER EYES ? !!!   :D

Gnevin

Quote from: mrsandman on March 23, 2009, 12:35:05 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 23, 2009, 12:31:06 PM

You'll never believe it but Jones had 5 grand on Wales -2
I heard his family where the subject to a tiger kidnapping before the game too
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

AZOffaly

I don't think it's anything to do with money Dinny, but I'd not be surprised if Jones just, sub consciously or not, didn't go all out with that last kick. Maybe he just felt that with the Lions tour coming up it would have destroyed the Irish lads? I dunno, but I'd have backed him to kick that all day, he never looked like missing.

Dinny Breen

I was tongue in cheek AZ anyway hopefully Niall McNamee will feel something similar in the summer when he has his last minute peanlty and Offaly are 2 points down to Kildare  ;D
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 23, 2009, 12:39:21 PM
I was tongue in cheek AZ anyway hopefully Niall McNamee will feel something similar in the summer when he has his last minute peanlty and Offaly are 2 points down to Kildare  ;D

Different circumstances. Nialler will be trying to win the same prize as  Kildare that day, i.e. into the next round. If Jones had made that kick, Wales would have won a Triple Crown they don't care about, and Ireland would have won a hollow Championship, which would have sickened his Lion's teammates.

I doubt it was a conscious decision to miss, but something held him back.

Dinny Breen

QuoteI doubt it was a conscious decision to miss, but something held him back.

That's the beauty of sport and why Greg Norman has only 2 majors to his name.
#newbridgeornowhere

longrunsthefox

Rugby league legend Don Fox
The former Featherstone, Wakefield and Great Britain scrum-half and loose forward will always be remembered for his missed conversion attempt in the famous 1968 'watersplash' Challenge Cup Final between Wakefield and Leeds at Wembley.
He had already been named as man of the match and winner of the prestigious Lance Todd Trophy when he had the chance to win the match for Trinity but fluffed the goal from in front of the posts in atrocious conditions to leave Leeds 11-10 winners.
Kevin McCabe-Bill McCorry- Steve Davis 1985 final... sport is littered with these misses and that is the beauty of it...

WHAT ABOUT HER EYES?!!