2009 Grand Slam Champions

Started by Dinny Breen, January 27, 2009, 11:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

QuoteStrange discussion, it was the last kick of the game, there would have enormous lactic acid build up in the muscles, he was tired, he rushed the kick as suggested above therefore his breathing technique would have been all over the place and the mental strain alone would be immense, the kick was too high and although accurate was never going to travel far with that trajectory. Conciously or subconciously SJ did not miss that kick on purpose. Also SJ dd not play a full 80 in the six nations until Saturday he just was mentally or physically prepared to take such an important kick. Interesting theory though.

I accept all that, with the proviso that he is a professional sportsman, and irrespective of his fatigue etc., all of his training/preparation would surely have made him do something different with so much at stake.  Am I reading too much into this?

And why, why, why, after his famous rant about 'the jersey', did O'Gara not wear it when he should have been most proud to wear it? 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

maddog

Quote from: stephenite on March 23, 2009, 11:21:05 AM
Why did Dessie Dolan blast a sitter wide against Meath a few years back?

because he's shit ?

gallsman

Quote from: Billys Boots on March 23, 2009, 11:27:45 AM
QuoteStrange discussion, it was the last kick of the game, there would have enormous lactic acid build up in the muscles, he was tired, he rushed the kick as suggested above therefore his breathing technique would have been all over the place and the mental strain alone would be immense, the kick was too high and although accurate was never going to travel far with that trajectory. Conciously or subconciously SJ did not miss that kick on purpose. Also SJ dd not play a full 80 in the six nations until Saturday he just was mentally or physically prepared to take such an important kick. Interesting theory though.

I accept all that, with the proviso that he is a professional sportsman, and irrespective of his fatigue etc., all of his training/preparation would surely have made him do something different with so much at stake.  Am I reading too much into this?

And why, why, why, after his famous rant about 'the jersey', did O'Gara not wear it when he should have been most proud to wear it? 

Because he did the sporting thing and went to speak to and exchange shirts with his opposite number immediately after the whistle? He was most proud to wear it during the match, the fact he wasn't during the presentation is irrelevant.

Gnevin

Yes.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

magpie seanie

I'm sorry now BB's I'm not having that. O'Gara has had more than his share of criticism - some deserved, a lot not deserved. On Saturday he was battered and targetted by the Welsh as they knew he was one of our key men. He took it on the chin, dusted himself down and like a true champion produced the goods when the chips were down. After the final whistle he went over he showed he is a true sportsman commiserating with his opponent. If he is to take flak for that then I think that's very wrong.

Gnevin

Some people are never happy.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 23, 2009, 11:34:13 AM

I'm sorry now BB's I'm not having that. O'Gara has had more than his share of criticism - some deserved, a lot not deserved. On Saturday he was battered and targetted by the Welsh as they knew he was one of our key men. He took it on the chin, dusted himself down and like a true champion produced the goods when the chips were down. After the final whistle he went over he showed he is a true sportsman commiserating with his opponent. If he is to take flak for that then I think that's very wrong.

Or that they knew he was a weak link? Which he was for a fair bit of that game. Fair play to the man though he stepped up when it mattered with the drop goal and thats testament to him after a poor game.

I really cant believe anybody is suggesting Jones missed the kick on purpose. Look at the way the Welsh played that match, no quarter asked or given and clear enough there was no love lost between the sides, and its ludicrous to suggest he didnt want to land the kick. His reaction itself told a story, the man looked gutted.

Billys Boots

I'm not having a go at anyone, I'm just interested in the psychology of it all.  I thought it was acceptable practice (for a 'final' or deciding game in any sport) that the winning side did not exchange jersies with their opponents, in accepting the trophy, photocalls etc.  I'm perfectly happy to accept that it was a sporting gesture on O'Gara's part - but Gnevin tells me that sporting gestures aren't possible in high-level sport.  

Dinny Breen

Billy, I think you're more interest in the pyschology of Gnevin than Stephen Jones. I agree with Seanie I'm not O'Gara's biggest fan but what he did at the end was a testament to the man, rugby and sport in general.
#newbridgeornowhere

Gnevin

Quote from: Billys Boots on March 23, 2009, 11:45:56 AM
I'm not having a go at anyone, I'm just interested in the psychology of it all.  I thought it was acceptable practice (for a 'final' or deciding game in any sport) that the winning side did not exchange jersies with their opponents, in accepting the trophy, photocalls etc.  I'm perfectly happy to accept that it was a sporting gesture on O'Gara's part - but Gnevin tells me that sporting gestures aren't possible in high-level sport.  
The GAA had to outright ban the practice of exchanging jerseys as too many team where showing up in the wrong jerseys maybe the IRFU do to.  There are sporting gestures such as kicking a ball out for a injured player and there is throwing a game. One is a sporting gesture the other isn't

mrsandman

Quote from: Gnevin on March 23, 2009, 11:55:30 AM
Quote from: Billys Boots on March 23, 2009, 11:45:56 AM
The GAA had to outright ban the practice of exchanging jerseys as too many team where showing up in the wrong jerseys maybe the IRFU do to.  There are sporting gestures such as kicking a ball out for a injured player and there is throwing a game. One is a sporting gesture the other isn't

Your hardly arguein over whether o'Gara should exchange jerseys with jones or not? What the f**k has it to do with anybody who disagrees, its not your jersey hes swapping, unless your the president of the IRFU then I sincerely apologise. Otherwise catch a grip, he kicked the winning points.
Constipated People Don't Give A crap.

Billys Boots

I'm not having a go at O'Gara, genuinely.  I thought he showed great guts to take on the drop-goal, when his general play should have dictated (to his own head) that he wasn't having the best of games, and ... he might miss.  I just think it was odd, when he was the guy who pointed out (quite rightly IMO, as a bystander) that there appeared be be less passion for the Irish jersey (than the provincial jersies) in the squad, that he chose (consciously or subconsciously,as Dinny might say) this occasion to don the Welsh jersey.  I just don't understand why he did it - the idea that he considered that Jones had dropped it short, as a sporting gesture, and did it as an acknowledgement just seems credible to me, as do other theories presented here (apart from Dublin giving Tyrone a dig-out).  Will we ever know?

AZOffaly

mrsandman

Quote from: Billys Boots on March 23, 2009, 12:02:59 PM
I'm not having a go at O'Gara, genuinely.  I thought he showed great guts to take on the drop-goal, when his general play should have dictated (to his own head) that he wasn't having the best of games, and ... he might miss.  I just think it was odd, when he was the guy who pointed out (quite rightly IMO, as a bystander) that there appeared be be less passion for the Irish jersey (than the provincial jersies) in the squad, that he chose (consciously or subconsciously,as Dinny might say) this occasion to don the Welsh jersey.  I just don't understand why he did it - the idea that he considered that Jones had dropped it short, as a sporting gesture, and did it as an acknowledgement just seems credible to me, as do other theories presented here (apart from Dublin giving Tyrone a dig-out).  Will we ever know?

Does the fact the he wore it inside out help his arguement? Im not sure it will, i think he should just play for wales from now on the dorty turncoat  :D :D :D
Constipated People Don't Give A crap.

Gnevin

Quote from: Billys Boots on March 23, 2009, 12:02:59 PM
Yes your talking balls, he didn't drop it short as a sporting gesture, we did land on the moon, a lone nut killed JFK. God conspiracy nuts drive me mad.