2009 Grand Slam Champions

Started by Dinny Breen, January 27, 2009, 11:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneboi

People on this board said during the week that if Ireland win the championship without a grand slam then it wud have been fantastic. If Jones had sunk that pentalty you would wonder would O'Driscol have even went up for the trophy. It would have been total heartbreak after that battle!

Like Square Ball said my heart is just starting to work properly now!

Bord na Mona man

Jaysus!  ;D
I thought if Henson was taking that last penalty it was going over, when Jones stepped up there was always a chance he'd leave it short. It would have been a tragedy if Ireland had lost the Grand Slam though.

Great stuff from O'Gara with the drop goal. I remember the same happened in 2003.
Jones put the Welsh in the lead at the death and O'Gara replied with a drop goal to win it.
Great win!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: tyroneboi on March 21, 2009, 07:36:57 PM
People on this board said during the week that if Ireland win the championship without a grand slam then it wud have been fantastic. If Jones had sunk that pentalty you would wonder would O'Driscol have even went up for the trophy. It would have been total heartbreak after that battle!

Like Square Ball said my heart is just starting to work properly now!
I don't think many people thought they'd be so determined to throw it all away through stupid penalties! Serious drinking in Ireland and Cardiff tonight.

I assume they'll be given a parade in Dublin?

Our Nail Loney

Only sorta taking it all in now, I am not a big rugby fan, only the six nations, big european games and internationals for me but that was great sporting drama, so happy for the boys there, especially ROG for getting the drop goal after all the stick he has got the last while...

As for O'Driscoll, what more can be said about him that hasn't already? He is a legend, how many times has he got the six nations man of the match awards? I don't think I have ever seen anyone get as many of these awards as him... Player of the tournament by a long way, single handedly dragged Ireland at times..

ziggysego

Great stuff. Thought it was over with the Welsh, but thankfully we got the Grand Slam. Well done lads.
Testing Accessibility

tyroneboi

Fair play to Kidney the man must be some coach. I was a touch skeptical of his appointment at the start thinking he was too familiar with a lot of his players but what a guy. Very humble and down to earth. Nice touch to mention all the layers which make up Irish rugby and to credit Eddie O'Sullivan as well.

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on March 21, 2009, 07:55:41 PM
Only sorta taking it all in now, I am not a big rugby fan, only the six nations, big european games and internationals for me but that was great sporting drama, so happy for the boys there, especially ROG for getting the drop goal after all the stick he has got the last while...

As for O'Driscoll, what more can be said about him that hasn't already? He is a legend, how many times has he got the six nations man of the match awards? I don't think I have ever seen anyone get as many of these awards as him... Player of the tournament by a long way, single handedly dragged Ireland at times..

O'Driscoll is unbelievable. Without knowing too much about the olden days of Irish rugby but surely he and O'Connell will go down as the two most inspirational and influential Irish players ever. When times got tough today in the last 10 mins these two men really got going!

Oraisteach

It sounded phenomenal--can't wait to see it on TV tomorrow.

Donagh

Amazing game - great to see Ireland finally do the Grand Slam. Been knocking on the door almost ten years now - they deserve it!

Doogie Browser

Fantastic, so proud of them!  Even though it was nearly snatched away, we had played so well.  Nice to hear ROG there thank Barry McGuigan, Nicky English and David Humphreys (I think) for their well wishes before the game.
Jack Kyle is such a gentleman too.

Shamrock Shore

Me nerves are shot. I aged 10 years from 78 mins to the end.

I looked at the clock.........78.10

I looked at it (I thought) a minute later. 78.20

WTF.

Serious drama. Like a junior scriptwriter's first attempt. Would have been dismissed as too far fetched.

Congrats to Ireland.

ziggysego

I know exactly what you mean Shamrock, couldn't believe how slow the final two minutes were going.
Testing Accessibility

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on March 21, 2009, 07:55:41 PMAs for O'Driscoll, what more can be said about him that hasn't already? He is a legend, how many times has he got the six nations man of the match awards? I don't think I have ever seen anyone get as many of these awards as him... Player of the tournament by a long way, single handedly dragged Ireland at times..
O'Driscoll really is in a different class.
I just saw the caption during the match the was player of the tournament in '06 and '07.
He will collect the '09 award too.
I also think he probably doesn't get enough credit in Ireland for his standing in the sport. Perhaps the ordinary man on the street mightn't warm to him, but without him there would have been no Grand Slam.

Harold Disgracey

Just got a text from a mate at the match, it had two words and just about sums today up "f**king magic"

FL/MAYO

Was watching it on Setanta Broadband at work, we got a call with 20 minutes to go and missed the end of the game. Had to get the final score using the computer on the fire engine, the call lasted a lifetime...at least we won in the end, pissed that I missed the end I hope Setanta repeat it tomorrow.

ziggysego

Get a UK proxy and watch it on BBC iPlayer.
Testing Accessibility