2009 Grand Slam Champions

Started by Dinny Breen, January 27, 2009, 11:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Interesting that Mike Ruddock (Welshman, who also coached Wales to a Grand Slam) has two sons playing for Ireland (U20s) rather than Wales, even though they both play and live in Wales. Mike's wife is Irish so perhaps they were born over here.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Hound on February 06, 2009, 10:58:28 AM
Interesting that Mike Ruddock (Welshman, who also coached Wales to a Grand Slam) has two sons playing for Ireland (U20s) rather than Wales, even though they both play and live in Wales. Mike's wife is Irish so perhaps they were born over here.

I'm pretty sure one of them was originally playing for Wales at underage level. He must have switched recently.

The one with the Irish name Ciaran Ruddock was born in Wales while the one with the Welsh name Rhys Ruddock was born in Ireland.

Tankie

Well the Big day has finally arrived. Ireland to win today! - Grand Slam in the bag  ;)

Should be a good day out whatever happens tho. Be careful if anyone is driving up tho boys as the roads look like shite on the news in some parts!
Grand Slam Saturday!

muppet

I have a good feeling about this game despite having lost the last 7 to France.  I'll be landing in Drumcondra at 3 and again around 7 hopefully smiling.

Q: Name the players who have scored a hat-trick of tries in the 6 (5) nations against two different nations?

Note: Thanks to John McGill from this site for the tickets.
MWWSI 2017

the Deel Rover

Good win by the under 20's last night . A penalty kick in the last few minutes to win it 9-6 not a great game . The number 8 for ireland (i forget his name) had a great game
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

TacadoirArdMhacha

England look poor enough here - only really fit to capitalise on Italy mistakes, particularly from their scrum half in the first half. BBC commentators seem very unhappy. Italy had done very well possession wise but were the masters of their own downfall.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

maggie

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on February 07, 2009, 04:41:15 PM
England look poor enough here - only really fit to capitalise on Italy mistakes, particularly from their scrum half in the first half. BBC commentators seem very unhappy. Italy had done very well possession wise but were the masters of their own downfall.

Aye, Austin Healy as the 'match analysist' is not amused.
Hes prob wishing he had signed up to the SCD tour instead.

magickingdom

Puckoon

Excellent start to the campaign from a relatively rejuvenated Ireland. Playing with more confidence, composure and a good all around display.

Some shimmy by big Easlip.

FermPundit

Superb game and credit must go to both sides for playing expansive, entertaining rugby. Some excellent individual perfomances from Brian O'Driscoll and Jamie Heaslip. A special mention to Gordon D'Arcy after coming back from his injury nightmare.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Main Street

That was some battle out there. Those French guys are teak tough.
At last the Leinster pansys rolled up their (virtual) sleeves and were magnificent.

AZOffaly

I thought that was great, and the Irish looked like a real team for the first time in ages. The O'Driscoll try was pure Munster and Leinster combined with O'Connell winning great ball off the top of the lineout, O'Leary quick to O'Gara, O'Gara lovely flat pass and O'Driscoll doing his magic against the drift defence, Delighted for O'Driscoll especially, and D'Arcy as well. Tough 12 or 18 months for both of them guys.
Heaslip was great at the ball carrying, especially of the base of the scrum, made yards every time. I thought the rest of the team all played well, and the forwards in the loose were very good as well. It's very hopeful looking.

One thing I didn't like, and it's a product of these ELVs, was the kicking away possession. France in that mood are deadly on the counter, and you need to be up quick in the chase. We weren't because the kicks were too far ahead a good few times, and we nearly paid a few times.

Overall though, happy with that, and a win next weekend will really set up the England game. Italy won't be as bad again though, they improved in the second half today.

Lar Naparka

What's seldom is wonderful!
France has gotten out of jail so many times in the past (rem 2 years ago?) that I couldn't sit down until the ref blew the final whistle. The same man had made so many howlers throughout the game that anything was possible with him until the game had ended.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

FermPundit

With D'Arcy coming on and doing well in the second half, will Paddy Wallace now be sacrificed for the Italian game? The injury in the first half seemed to disrupt his game but I'd probably stick with him for the match in Rome
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Dinny Breen

QuoteAt last the Leinster pansys rolled up their (virtual) sleeves and were magnificent.

::)

Agree with AZ looked like the pride and passion is back in the Jersey, will have a look again at the game and give some objective analysis however I might be biased but I thought Kearney, BOD and in particular were immense today and all lot of credit must go Kidney's way, those Irish players looked like they believe again.
#newbridgeornowhere