School daze and nostalgia.

Started by Puckoon, January 26, 2009, 01:01:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

used any of ye lads play a game called muhammad ali , one lad used to line up in a shed against a wall and the object was to try and remove him, you would have about 50 lads in a line shouting muhummad ali untill he was removed then it was the next lads turn to get the shit kicked out of him . i probably have done a bad job explaining this then again maybe we only played it in cross and come to think of it is was fairly stupid  :D looking back i don't know how we won a club title at all when we were playing the shit at breaktime instead of kicking the pigs bladder around the pitch :D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Treasurer

Quote from: the Deel Rover on March 26, 2009, 11:45:42 AM
Quote from: ziggysego on March 26, 2009, 11:31:26 AM
Quote from: The Gs Man on March 26, 2009, 08:50:46 AM
Ice Cream in a big glass of lemonade.

Ah man, that was fantastic.

yeah we used to do it with coke a mighty kick out of it

The Coke (a cola) was for special occasions.  The lemonade and ice cream was the business on a hot summer's day (we used to have some back then).

illdecide

Quote from: Donagh on March 26, 2009, 02:22:49 PM
Quote from: Our Nail Loney on March 26, 2009, 12:47:46 PM
Get ready to fork out about a grand then in Cafollas!! Dear hole... Lovely though...

That's illdecides retirement plan you're 'dissing' there. 

I just sent him a message there to tell him "less of the dear hole" shit...Our Nail must be ordering enough food for giand haystacks ;)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

muppet

Quote from: the Deel Rover on March 26, 2009, 02:23:33 PM
used any of ye lads play a game called muhammad ali , one lad used to line up in a shed against a wall and the object was to try and remove him, you would have about 50 lads in a line shouting muhummad ali untill he was removed then it was the next lads turn to get the shit kicked out of him . i probably have done a bad job explaining this then again maybe we only played it in cross and come to think of it is was fairly stupid  :D looking back i don't know how we won a club title at all when we were playing the shit at breaktime instead of kicking the pigs bladder around the pitch :D

In other parts of the country it is called elections.
MWWSI 2017

The Real Laoislad

Never heard of that one but we played a game called butcher.
Basically what happened was 20 or so lads would line up at one end of a field,and the same amount at the other end.
The two groups would then run at each other,the first person you met from the other side you had to tackle them and get them down on the flat of their back and shout "Butcher" that person was then out of the game,you then got up and kept running to the far side of the pitch.
This sort of play continued until it got down to 1v1 and who ever came out the winner was the butcher champion!
You'll Never Walk Alone.

heganboy

the c&c van delivering brown lemonade to the house
playing "bulldogs" in the playground at school
the schmozzle breaking out when we played St Anthony's
coke on sale in the supermarkets war for 12 and a half p (Dunnes vs Crazy Prices)
My "fancy" jeans with a houndstooth pattern
white trousers, lemon shirt, white pleather tie and white cardigan for the scouts disco
being beaten by every team in Lurgan with scores that were 6-18 to 0-3
not getting why everyone didn't play football (gaelic)
going shopping in Belfast with the folks and going through the "ring of steel" to get into the town centre
Stopping for the KFC after being fragged around the "ideal home exhibition"
Not understanding why my da wouldn't buy one of these http://autocollections.com/index.cfm?key=1647&action=details&tab=inventory&cartable= and wanted a datsun instead

Is it just me or has all this emphasis on child safety have us breeding a bunch of spoilt little shits who are less safe than we were growing up

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Harold Disgracey

Attaching cards to the spokes of your bike with clothespegs & pretending you were riding a motorbike.
Playing marbles.
Football matches lasting for hours with at least 100 goals scored.
Playing Daley Thompson decathlon, manic miner etc on a Spectrum 48k.

The Gs Man

Quote from: illdecide on March 26, 2009, 02:35:11 PM
Get ready to fork out about a grand then in Cafollas!! Dear hole... Lovely though...

I just sent him a message there to tell him "less of the dear hole" shit...Our Nail must be ordering enough food for giand haystacks ;)

Was in the big one on Saturday there.  Your right Nail!  It's a dear hole!  Joey must be worth a clean fortune.  Rubbing your hands illdecide?
Keep 'er lit

illdecide

Quote from: The Gs Man on March 26, 2009, 03:59:58 PM
Quote from: illdecide on March 26, 2009, 02:35:11 PM

Was in the big one on Saturday there.  Your right Nail!  It's a dear hole!  Joey must be worth a clean fortune.  Rubbing your hands illdecide?

I'd love to sleeping with his daughter put it that way...I reckon there's more money is selling beer ;)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

fitzroyalty

What discount do you get then illdecide?  ;)

There used to be a remedial class in our primary school, for the 'less able' kids. This comprised of ones who had poor attendance, slow learners, travellers etc. Anyway for some reason they were christened "the benties" and we always fought with them in the playground. Most of them went on to become hoods and joyriders however, glad I haven't bumped into any since  :-\

The Gs Man

He gets free chocolate on his marshmallow ice.........
Keep 'er lit

Galwaybhoy

Building huts out of pallets, it still stands to this, up since the mid-90's, we didn't think it would last the one winter!
Playing Kick the Can - I loved that game
Getting the Dandy, Buster and Beano magazines every week
Getting Match and Shoot magazine every week
Playing the Ice Hockey/Madden football on the old double caterage on the old Sega Megadrive
Going through field after field out in the countryside exploring and not having to worry about getting caught for tresspassing.
Drinking Cola-Cow, either hot or cold, I loved that stuff, don't think you can get it anymore!
Spending the warm days cycling places, you don't see many kids on bikes these days.

Less emphasis on safety and no PC bull back then, great times!

the Deel Rover

raiding orchards and robbing tryes for the bonfires
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Tyrones own

Proging the Orchard in the mornings before boarding the bus to school
and selling them to the townies at break and lunch time at 5p each
couldn't get enough of them... Ah the innocent start for a budding young
entrepreneur 8)
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Niall Quinn

Getting in fights, sharing in a collective sense of humour that was at best facile, being jealous of the slick boys who were good at courting / football, not having any interest in schooling, smoking and drinking lots without really enjoying either.
My fuckin youth - what a load of crap.
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad