School daze and nostalgia.

Started by Puckoon, January 26, 2009, 01:01:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

I'd thought about this thread a while back, but forgot about it until two things happened this week. First, the impact of the first news story thread ( which I've really enjoyed). Secondly, I was dragged to a shoe shop the other day, and for the first time in a decade I guess, I had on me a pair of Dr martens.

What reminds you of your youth, either at home or at school?

Dr martens and kickers remind me of the CBS.

Liverpools old crown paint sponsered shirt and john barnes advertising lucozade sport "after 90 minutes of sheer hell", top of the pops on a Thursday night, the pussy cat crawling along the roof at the start of coronation street ( for years that signalled bed time for me), american football on channel 4 and westerns on BBC 2 on a Tuesday night.

These things, and I'm sure many more make me nostalgic for my childhood.

Puckoon

It definitely wasnt your bath - unless your talking about the Sunday night ombnibus edition.

full back

Wrestling on a Saturday on ITV (was always an extra treat when it showed the American wrestling)

Where In the World & Glenroe on a Sunday night

The smell of freshly cut grass signalled the Summer holidays were close at hand

Drinking hot soup @ 50p a cup in the Athletic Grounds watching Armagh (usually getting beat) in the freezing cold when NFL games were played before Xmas

Billys Boots

We always had our baths after Dr. Who on a Saturday evening.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

nrico2006

The smell of cut grass brought joy.

Gladiators on a Saturday night followed by Blind Date, Magyver on a Tuesday night, Beverly Hills 90210 on RTE, The Incredible Hulk, Knightrider and the A-Team on a Saturday afternoon.  The summers were great, 2 months seemed like an eternity but now time just zooms by.  Kickers or POD shoes and Under 18 Discos (Foam Parties), Bottles of Lazer, waiting with excitement to get the new United jersey, out 'raiding' the farms for the Halloween Bonfire....
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Dinny Breen

QuoteWe always had our baths after Dr. Who on a Saturday evening.

You had BBC? Posh Git!!!!

#newbridgeornowhere

Billys Boots

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 26, 2009, 10:27:48 AM
QuoteWe always had our baths after Dr. Who on a Saturday evening.

You had BBC? Posh Git!!!!

We lived in the 'shadow' of Cairn Hill (RTÉ transmitter), so we even had UTV sometimes.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Estimator

Any of the following TV programmes:

Knight Rider
AirWolf
Street Hawk
A-Team
Ulster League Champions 2009

Gnevin

Was I the only one who never thought it was big deal to have a bath?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Doogie Browser

Going out to play and being told not to come back 'until it was dark'

Treasurer

Loafers with steel studs hammered into the heels - not good on the nuns' wooden floors, which was probably why we loved them.

winsamsoon

Most of the above, heading otu to play football all day and playing till it was dark and saturdays was tv day when Airwolf and the A-team was top bill also watching the sunday game on sundays or going down with ma da to watch my club play. Things like this you wouldn't change but it is a dying breed.

Another i remember was when we used to get out at break time in primary school for a wee carton of milk (class) That was until the bitch known as Thacher took it away  ;)
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Gnevin

Quote from: winsamsoon on January 26, 2009, 10:55:27 AM
Most of the above, heading otu to play football all day and playing till it was dark and saturdays was tv day when Airwolf and the A-team was top bill also watching the sunday game on sundays or going down with ma da to watch my club play. Things like this you wouldn't change but it is a dying breed.

Another i remember was when we used to get out at break time in primary school for a wee carton of milk (class) That was until the bitch known as Thacher took it away  ;)
Awe the Milk, I always remember getting it in June and it being so warm it had nearly turned to cream in the carton.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

5 Sams

Quote from: Gnevin on January 26, 2009, 11:04:20 AM

Awe the Milk, I always remember getting it in June and it being so warm it had nearly turned to cream in the carton.

Thats another one....I remember having good weather in June :-\
The Aristocrat Years

Donagh

I remember the wee half pint bottles before the cartons.