Linux OS

Started by Mickey Linden, January 24, 2009, 09:29:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mickey Linden

well lads I bought a new acer netbook. It has Linux OS on it. Does anyone know much about it? Does mobile broadband work on it?
Would it be hard to put windows onto it? It doesnt have a cd drive. cheers

ONeill

Yep, wireless works. Great for on the spot surfing (the acer) but can be fairly limited for anything beyond that. You can buy an external cd drive. 

Be careful with this:

Got this with XP and 1gb RAM. Absolutely loved it. Did everything I wanted it too and more. Took it virtually everywhere with me. Then just after I had finished raving about it to anyone who would listen, I pickedit up with one hand and must have held the underside a bit more firmly than usual. Of course, the next time I powered up, couldn't type because half the keys were now typing the uppercase, which has happened to me before on other thin laptops over the years, but I have always previously been able to find a fix around. Not so for this little acer aspire. There must be some extra sensitive soft spot on the underside and came to the conclusion it was a physical soft spot and mechanical damage had been done. Fortunately this happened before day 28 so was able to return. Now I am without a notebook and starting my search again. Just wanted to log this for the record as I can't imagine I will be the only person to come across this issue...
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

imtommygunn

Linux is pretty much as powerful as windows these days with less of the "quirks". I'd stick with it.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Mickey Linden on January 24, 2009, 09:29:37 AM
well lads I bought a new acer netbook. It has Linux OS on it. Does anyone know much about it? Does mobile broadband work on it?
Would it be hard to put windows onto it? It doesnt have a cd drive. cheers

unless you are an experienced linux user, or want to learn how to use it and want to take weeks/months before you can properly do so
then I'd install windows (xp or vista pro - with the latter you will need min 3gb RAM imo) over it.
Format the laptop and install then.

Too many users come to their workplace helpdesks asking for help etc and while you may get a bit of help, most are run by way of being told not to perform any extra curricular activity that is especially not part of their remit, and unless a company that uses linux, or you happen to have a support person thats a linux enthusiast that will help you after work hours etc, you will be paddling your own canoe when stuck or needing problem resolution.

i'd avoid the headache and install windows, plus all the apps that are industry standard and allow you to create/send/read docs/spreadsheets/presentations with most of the rest of the worlds users (eg MS Office - word, excel, powerpoint, Visio, ms project etc).

I'm not a microsoft fan, but thats whet most of the world uses, and these emulation programs are just never quite good enough...

...from what I have witnessed with users coming in with macs and linux/unix laptops and begging for help...

Mickey Linden

Quote from: ONeill on January 24, 2009, 10:11:45 AM
Yep, wireless works. Great for on the spot surfing but tis fairly limited for anything beyond that. You can buy an external cd drive. 

what service provider for mobile broadband would u recommend Oneill? Im working down in Dublin at the minute and just want it fr surfing the web in the evenings.

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: Mickey Linden on January 24, 2009, 01:52:30 PM
Quote from: ONeill on January 24, 2009, 10:11:45 AM
Yep, wireless works. Great for on the spot surfing but tis fairly limited for anything beyond that. You can buy an external cd drive. 

what service provider for mobile broadband would u recommend Oneill? Im working down in Dublin at the minute and just want it fr surfing the web in the evenings.

Dont tell him O'neill...He'll only be online more then and keep on signing me up for more crap!!
B
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

nifan

I use linux all the time (home and work) and it is great.
Id agree with lynchbhoy to a degree that it takes a bit of getting used to for certain things, but the latest versions are generally as easy to use as windows, and much more powerful if you are wishing to play around and learn a bit.

I am a computer programmer so that does help, but the wife etc can use my laptop no problem