Impact of first news memory

Started by longrunsthefox, January 23, 2009, 03:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

My son of seven pointed at the front of the Irish News history making picture this week of Barack Obama  swearing in for President. I was startled when he said, "that's Barack Obama' and he seemed very taken with him as everyone else is. First time I have seen him take any notice of current affairs or world news.
I was wondering what other posters first memory of local or international news is and how it impacted on their minds then.  To start the ball rolling my very first news memory was when I was about eight... 1968.  Bobby Kennedy's assasination. I remember a few adults and especially in one shop saying 'a pity it wasn't that b*****d Paisley.' (True!). I figured it out in my child head that all these people must be good but some better than others... and turned out Paisley weren't so bad after all!!   ::)   

The GAA

milltown row

usually the bombs going off in belfast, and the shankill butchers.

John Lennon's death and Elvis croking it on the bog

The Gs Man

Keep 'er lit

fitzroyalty

primary school being blow up by the provos...was too young to appreciate the days off though  ;)

milltown row

your school!!!!  intergrated school ;)

Doogie Browser

Unfortunately mostly troubles based for me also, likes of Brighton bomb, Newry bomb etc, George Seawright getting stiffed always stands out too for some reason.  
The Challenger disaster was an early one as well, John Craven's Newsround was my source of current affairs events in the 80's.  

ziggysego

My first news memories are funerals on the local news.

Internationally... I would say Lockerbie Bombing.
Testing Accessibility

Treasurer

The first story that I remember really taking an interest in was the case of missing child, Mary Boyle.  She was around the same age as myself and I just couldn't comprehend how she could just go missing.

full back

Not sure if it is my first, but the Newry bombing stands out in my memory

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Treasurer on January 23, 2009, 04:30:38 PM
The first story that I remember really taking an interest in was the case of missing child, Mary Boyle.  She was around the same age as myself and I just couldn't comprehend how she could just go missing.
That was a very sad story Treasurer, before my time but always was a story I followed.  Convicted child killer Robert Black was arrested a few times in relation to her abduction.  He is an evil bastard and I think he was in Ireland at the time of her abduction but there was no other link, so don't think he has ever been charged about it.

5 Sams

July 1969...one small step for man...etc...etc....

Fcuk I'm gettin old :-\
The Aristocrat Years

fitzroyalty

Shamrock Shore

The kidnapping of Tiede Herrama and the subsequent siege in Monasterevin.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: 5 Sams on January 23, 2009, 04:41:11 PM
July 1969...one small step for man...etc...etc....

Fcuk I'm gettin old :-\
What about September 1968 then 5sams??  A step too far?