Ryanair to fine passengers who break bags rule

Started by muppet, January 21, 2009, 04:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan

What really pissed me off in Gatwick a couple of weeks ago was that our hand luggage passed the Ryanair baggage test having checked in online but the security knobs handing out the plastic bags decided that the young lads bag was too big for their measurements and cue a row between angry passenger security staff and Ryanair. Turns out that the BAA measurements are smaller than the Ryanair ones and each was passing the buck so to speak. End of Story was it cost me 30 sterling to check the thing. Not a happy camper. I only fly with Ryanair as an absolute last resort.   

pintsofguinness

The practicality of the situation however means that we cannot go around weighing everybody before boarding.  But when blubbergut McFat-Arse rocks up with his bags and I am 2kgs over with mine (I box at 78kgs), I am the one penalised.  Feckin hate it.
So what are you proposing?  ::)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

downgirl

Quote from: Declan on January 22, 2009, 11:49:34 AM
What really pissed me off in Gatwick a couple of weeks ago was that our hand luggage passed the Ryanair baggage test having checked in online but the security knobs handing out the plastic bags decided that the young lads bag was too big for their measurements and cue a row between angry passenger security staff and Ryanair. Turns out that the BAA measurements are smaller than the Ryanair ones and each was passing the buck so to speak. End of Story was it cost me 30 sterling to check the thing. Not a happy camper. I only fly with Ryanair as an absolute last resort.   

Was it much bigger than the required measurements?  That's just nitpicking. I suppose they are trying to squeeze as much money as possible out of you.

thebigfella

Sure it wasn't the other way round,

BAA Regulations

• 56cm (22in) tall
• 45cm (17.7in) wide
• 25cm (10in) deep.

Ryanair Cabin Baggage
Strictly one item of cabin baggage per passenger (excluding infants) weighing up to 10kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm is permitted. (handbag, briefcase, laptops etc must be carried within your permitted 1 piece of cabin baggage).

Shower of c**ts, the whole lot. I had Easyjet tell me I couldn't take hand luggage on, even though it was within regulations, because the flight was full and there may not be enough room. Wouldn't have minded but I was one of 3 people who paid for speedy boarding, so surely it's first come first serve. Worse too as it was a just before christmas and you had all the usual ****ers on the plane with about 20 bags of duty free and their entire christmas shopping.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: downgirl on January 21, 2009, 10:03:49 PM
I have a random question...will I be allowed to bring an alarm clock in as hand luggage (I am not putting a case in the hold)...or will they not let me through with it incase they think it's a bomb ???

I'd be careful with that alarm clock if I were you. You could end up with a good ticking off
Careful now

tyssam5

28 quid is dear alright I'd get 2 outfits for that price in Dunnes and some extra underwear too! Seriously though if you were doing a trip back and forward say weekly would it not be better to leave your gear over there, get it cleaned while your home at the weekend?

tyssam5

That's a weird one, there's no money in it for the security guys, you would think they wouldn't care? Thought it would be totally up to Ryanair what they carried. Suppose they probably give a kick-back to the security firm, wouldn't surprise me.

thebigfella

Even better one now, just changed the dates on a flight with Easyjet. Paid the difference in fair and fee by credit card and was charge 59 pence. Why the f*** was it six quid to book the flight originally on the same credit card.

Declan

QuoteBAA Regulations

• 56cm (22in) tall
• 45cm (17.7in) wide
• 25cm (10in) deep.

Ryanair Cabin Baggage
Strictly one item of cabin baggage per passenger (excluding infants) weighing up to 10kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm is permitted. (handbag, briefcase, laptops etc must be carried within your permitted 1 piece of cabin baggage).

That's interesting cause I put the bag in to both and it was slighlty over  the edge of the one at security but fit into the Ryanair one.

QuoteThat's a weird one, there's no money in it for the security guys, you would think they wouldn't care? Thought it would be totally up to Ryanair what they carried. Suppose they probably give a kick-back to the security firm, wouldn't surprise me.

That's what really annoyed me - pompous p***k as well he was - If I was traveling on my own I would have gone further with it as I had plenty of time before the flight but was traveling with the family so didn't pursue it. The really annoying thing was the amount of people who walked passed the same guy with one or more bags bigger than the young lads.

Denn Forever

You are flying Ryanair.   ???

You know the rules that are going to apply.  Why does everyone get upset with Ryanair?  You know all the bad stuff about them but you get upset when what you hear what is going to happen, happens. ::)

Ryanair does exactly what it says on the tin.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

downgirl

Flew Cork to Dublin with Ryanair this evening, checked in online, bag didn't get weighed or looked at or anything, and saw a girl with a bigish case and one of those massive handbags as her hand luggage...

I'd say it will be a different story going from Dublin to Cork though.

armaghniac

QuoteThat's a weird one, there's no money in it for the security guys, you would think they wouldn't care? Thought it would be totally up to Ryanair what they carried. Suppose they probably give a kick-back to the security firm, wouldn't surprise me.

There is a limit on the size of bag you can bring through security because the more bags there are the harder it is to search everything and the longer the queues get. This limit is smaller at UK airports than some places whereas Ryanair have a general limit and don't make it their business to enforce London airport limits. Mind you the sizes above make it seem that the airport limit is larger. But talk of kick backs is ridiculous.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

give her dixie

next stop, September 10, for number 4......