Ryanair to fine passengers who break bags rule

Started by muppet, January 21, 2009, 04:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebigfella

While I do agree with stopping people carrying more than one "large" bag or taking the complete p***, their weight limits for hand luggage now including laptops and other expensive equipment you can't put in the hold is clearly a joke. 10kg is also clearly not enough once you add a laptop, reading material/documents, the weight of the case ect..... Easyjet don't limit hand luggage weight, within reason, it just has to fit within the size guidelines.

I fly at least twice a week and I know how to pack light but their policy is just unworkable for people who travel for business reasons. There is just no way I'm checking in my suit carrier, I've seen the way they come out the other end, and the laptop is not an option. If I can only fly with Ryanair then I'll be paying their fine every time.

downgirl

I have a random question...will I be allowed to bring an alarm clock in as hand luggage (I am not putting a case in the hold)...or will they not let me through with it incase they think it's a bomb ???

armaghniac

Alarm clocks are fine, although I thought everyone just used their phone nowadays. No scissors, knives, bottles and the like.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Treasurer

Quote from: armaghniac on January 21, 2009, 10:15:19 PM
Alarm clocks are fine, although I thought everyone just used their phone nowadays. No scissors, knives, bottles and the like.

I flew Dublin/Birmingham return with a rather large penknife in my handbag.

I had one taken off me another time in Dublin though, a brilliant swiss knife. I was kicking myself -  had decided at the last minute to bring the handbag and couldn't believe I'd forgotten to take out the knife.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Treasurer on January 21, 2009, 10:22:41 PM

I had one taken off me another time in Dublin though, a brilliant swiss knife. I was kicking myself -  had decided at the last minute to bring the handbag and couldn't believe I'd forgotten to take out the knife.

Are you Macgyver?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: carribbear on January 21, 2009, 05:38:17 PM
I don't see a problem with this rule. Too many times you get people trying to fit all their luggage into the overhead compartments then its chaos when they get on/off planes.
Theres a standard size for a carry-on bag so that should be the default. If you can't fit it in under your seat or in the overhead storage then check the damn thing in.

I will however make an exception for small handbags but not the shopping bag size handbags. Thats just cheating.

It sickens my hole too

Treasurer

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 21, 2009, 10:24:31 PM

Are you Macgyver?

If I was McGyver I wouldn't need the knives now would I?  Piece of string and a safety pin would cover all emergencies.

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Treasurer on January 21, 2009, 10:26:10 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 21, 2009, 10:24:31 PM

Are you Macgyver?

If I was McGyver I wouldn't need the knives now would I?  Piece of string and a safety pin would cover all emergencies.

He always had a knife too...Oh and don't forget the chewing gum!
He was a legend though
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 21, 2009, 10:26:43 PM
Didnt reallise offaly was so rough.

You don't know the half of it...They eat their young up there
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Treasurer

Well you'd never know when you might be challenged to a duel.

downgirl

I do use my phone but this is a really loud one it usually takes something like that to get me up in the mornings...not a good morning person at all.

Aerlik

What really pisses me off about commercial operators is the use of "Standard" weights for the calculation of loading data for jets.  A "Standard" male Aussie is 86kgs.  Bollix.  I flew a 180kg+ patient the other day.  No kidding and we know he was that weight at least cos the weighbridge we had to use only went up to 180kgs. The scales went up to 130kgs.  The average male Australian is now over 95kgs I reckon.  Also the female is supposed to be 62kgs.  Again, bollix, the women in country WA are all well over 80kgs.

The practicality of the situation however means that we cannot go around weighing everybody before boarding.  But when blubbergut McFat-Arse rocks up with his bags and I am 2kgs over with mine (I box at 78kgs), I am the one penalised.  Feckin hate it.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

thejuice

Ryanair are charging £28 a bag now. f**k that. AerLingus is charging £20 a bag. f**k that also, but its cheaper. Does anyone else know of any other airline that flies Birmingham to Dublin? I've tried, BMI and EasyJet already.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Gnevin

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 21, 2009, 10:30:08 PM

You don't know the half of it...They eat their young up there
Is there any counties in Ireland  apart for Laois you don't think is a shithole ? ;)
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.