Maigh Eo -v- Doire, Ballina, 01.02.2009

Started by Barney, January 20, 2009, 08:22:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Estimator

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7863761.stm

Mayo 0-10 1-9 Derry 

A second-half goal from James Kielt proved vital as new Derry boss Damien Cassidy enjoyed a winning start in Division One of the National League.
Derry, the league champions, trailed by six points to five after playing against the breeze in the first half.
The influencial Paddy Bradley came on in the second period and helped set up underage star Kielt's crucial score.
Mayo level on 0-9 to 1-6 but Derry clinched victory with points from Paul Carton, Kielt and Paul Young.
Boss Cassidy was delighted with the contribution of the young players he had introduced to the senior set-up during the McKenna Cup.
"They certainly had a big bearing on this performance," said the Oak Leafers manager.
"It is great they have stepped up to show they have the quality to play at this level.
"It sends out a message to the other players that they have the hunger and it will increase competition for places."
Cassidy admitted they would have to look at a possible lack of discipline as four players had to be replaced under the new yellow cards rule during the game.

Have the BBC made mistakes yet again, I thought Seamy Bradley got the goal and one of the final 3points??
Ulster League Champions 2009

Karl Kennedy

Quote from: Estimator on February 01, 2009, 05:25:58 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7863761.stm

Mayo 0-10 1-9 Derry 

A second-half goal from James Kielt proved vital as new Derry boss Damien Cassidy enjoyed a winning start in Division One of the National League.
Derry, the league champions, trailed by six points to five after playing against the breeze in the first half.
The influencial Paddy Bradley came on in the second period and helped set up underage star Kielt's crucial score.
Mayo level on 0-9 to 1-6 but Derry clinched victory with points from Paul Carton, Kielt and Paul Young.
Boss Cassidy was delighted with the contribution of the young players he had introduced to the senior set-up during the McKenna Cup.
"They certainly had a big bearing on this performance," said the Oak Leafers manager.
"It is great they have stepped up to show they have the quality to play at this level.
"It sends out a message to the other players that they have the hunger and it will increase competition for places."
Cassidy admitted they would have to look at a possible lack of discipline as four players had to be replaced under the new yellow cards rule during the game.

Have the BBC made mistakes yet again, I thought Seamy Bradley got the goal and one of the final 3points??

I think Kielt and Bradley were wearing the wrong numbers.

RedandGreenSniper

Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

muppet

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 01, 2009, 05:29:58 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 01, 2009, 04:35:52 PM
What are you insinuating there Muppet?

I'm not going to post negatively about a player, particularly a Mayo one. You'll have to figure it out.

But you have posted negatively about him, that's clear to see, you're just not being specific. Ya can't throw out a line like that about a lad.

Quote from: muppet on January 31, 2009, 06:22:14 PM
Quote from: moysider on January 30, 2009, 11:30:34 PM
Quote from: muppet on January 30, 2009, 05:11:09 PM

Barry Moran must be running out of chances. Time to deliver.
I'm not sure Andy Moran is a certain starter but if hits his best form he should be in.

Correct me if I m wrong Muppet as I could be missing something but is this not a bit severe on Barry Moran?  Now I admit that I m biased here as I ve always had time for Barry Moran and always felt if he came through at senior he would be a major boost. In Summer 07 he was one of our few bright lights playing at ff and I thought most people thought he did well and it was a welcome development. He did nt feature last year and I assumed it was because he was hurt. So what chances has he passed up on?

I agree with all in the first bold part.

The answer to the second bold part is difficult to know but I wouldn't lay all the blame at the managment.

I haven't. I just said time to deliver and he must be running out of chances.

You are trying to get to me post something I don't want to on one hand and then tell me I can't throw out a line like that on the other, even though I didn't say anything. Which is it?
MWWSI 2017

the Deel Rover

Not a great result today and a very poor second half performance by mayo then  again having been only 15 yards away from that man who had that massive heart attack it puts football into perspective hopefully he will be ok fair play to the order of malta for their work in reviving him 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Barney

Its only the first of February but the alarm bells are ringing big time.

Have we learned anything since last Summer? I don't think so.

Whatever the reason there was no fight in the team today, they looked leaden footed and completely disinterested. 6 frees for touching the ball on the ground (it was hard to avoid with the conditions but then again maybe some fellas could have held on to it, or not have bounced it); no tackling (maybe that was because of the ridiculous new rules) and given a complete run around which leaves us in a completely perilous position in the league already when you look at some of the fixtures coming up.

For five minutes they kicked the ball into Barry Moran and things went well. THen the game plan went out the window. In the second half we struggled in midfield and being against the wind the ball wasn't kicked in to poor ould Barry. Why not bring him out?

My initial reaction today was that maybe it would be better for JOM and for Mayo football if there was an amicable parting even at this time of the year. His heart doesn't seem to be in it. His excuses during the FBD pissed people off and I'm sure he'll have similar sob stories about today. Of course it is too early to be talking like that but if there are more gutless displays like today he may not see Summer football.

mannix

Hope he is ok too, as I was 600 miles away I had to make do with a broken down midwest service. jesus that billy fitz always seems to be up for our opponent, "oh pat harte was lucky it went over the bar" versus "oh thats a good point there by bradley" he really should listen to a rerun of himself.Anyway , Mayo lose a close one, hope that they knuckle down and can win a few but the group is very strong, even dublin looked fairly good last night and tyrone seem to be able to pick up scores at will and will be hard beaten again this year by all.Ciaran whelan diving was the bright spot for me, hes a gas man.Some say Mayo were lifeless today, not sure what to think of it but that something positive has to happen this year or else. And the barry moran trial at ff according to midwest was ok but they stopped kicking it in on him, much like the championship game in 2007 in derry.

the Deel Rover

Your not too happy barney are you and i would agree with your analsis of the game like you said in the 2nd half we were been beaten at midfield yet there were no changes till late in the match when mort was taken off also you would wonder how conor was fit to come on but not to start
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: the Deel Rover on February 01, 2009, 08:37:24 PM
Not a great result today and a very poor second half performance by mayo then  again having been only 15 yards away from that man who had that massive heart attack it puts football into perspective hopefully he will be ok fair play to the order of malta for their work in reviving him 

That was frightening, thank God the Order of Malta were able to work on him and fingers crossed he'll make a full recovery

Rossfan

Quote from: Barney on February 01, 2009, 08:52:30 PM
Its only the first of February but the alarm bells are ringing big time.

Whatever the reason there was no fight in the team today, they looked leaden footed and completely disinterested. ; no tackling ( and given a complete run around
My initial reaction today was that maybe it would be better for JOM and for Mayo football if there was an amicable parting  His excuses during the FBD pissed people off     if there are more gutless displays like today he may not see Summer football.

Reminds me of Ros and a certain Mayoman manager at this stage in 2008.... ::) :D ;D ;D ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

the Deel Rover

It was surreal r and g i dont know how the game continued while the whole park knew that some man could be perhap s dying . My heart went out to the young lad that was with him his son perhaps
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

RedandGreenSniper

Its a tough one to know what to do in that situation but I wasn't concentrating on the match for the next ten minutes, I kept looking in that direction hoping the guy would be okay. I was near the tunnel so it was awful hard to know how bad it was but I saw someone giving him CPR so I knew it wasn't good. The response from the medical people at the ground seemed to be very good, fair play to them

RedandGreenSniper

Some quick thoughts on the game itself

- Very disappointing result. We faded alarmingly in the second half and brought the ball into so many cul de sacs. I'd be inclined to agree with Barney about the lack of heart but wouldn't rush to any judgements just yet. I noticed the Mayo huddle before the game lasted about ten seconds and there was just a murmur of a 'come on' whereas Cassidy had Derry in for about 3-4 minutes and they looked up for it for a team not meant to be too pushed about the league. Our first half display was promising but we left it inside at half-time.

- of the new lads, Ger Cafferkey saw plenty of ball come the way of his man but I reckon he got on top and now that he has the debut (I think) under his belt, he will be all the better for it. Donal Vaughan looked very shaky/nervous in possession and gave away some bad ball but he I wouldn't be too hard on him. He drove forward relentlessly near the end in fairness to him and I'd prefer to see him at wing-back. Mickey Sweeney was good imo. Not a pitch or day suited to him but his workrate is good and he will always ask questions of his man. Should have done better with the goal chance but he fielded the ball brilliantly in the first place.

- Midfield was very good in the first half, save for a couple of cheap turnovers but very poor in the second half, esp since Joe Diver came on. McGarrity looked rusty but showed a good attitude. The same can be said for Parsons. In defence our half-back line was shapeless enough. Gardiner often left a massive hole on our right wing with his bursts forward.

- Too often we engaged in short passing when a more direct route was needed. A few times we gave away cheap possession in this regard but, to be fair, there weren't too many targets up front as our half-forward line was also shapeless, with Dillon showing occasionally, Trevor hardly showing in the second half and Billy Joe back in defence.

- Barry Moran worked well at full-forward in the first ten minutes but then they stopped giving him the ball. He was a passenger in the second half. Also Conor Mortimer was definitely fit enough too start. Andy Moran looks short on confidence and far too many of our players were unwilling to shoot. Not a good sign.

- Bottom line, I was pesimistic about the game but I gave Derry too much credit. They weren't as good as I thought they would be. We, unfortunately, were worse than I imagined.

EDIT - Did anyone else think Clarke's kickouts were absolutely awful, esp in the second half? Perhaps he was injured, to be fair, but if he was he should have been taken off because they weren't clearing the '45 and were hanging in the air too

whiskeysteve

Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

RedandGreenSniper

Joe Diver made a big difference when he came on. Lynn looked good in the first half. Kielt really looks the part, kicked 1-3, took the goal well and kicked one savage point. Eoin Bradley was dangerous but, typically, picked the wrong option too often. Doherty was effective without killing himself. Brian Og McAlary was yellow carded and had his hands full with young Mikey Sweeney