Maigh Eo -v- Doire, Ballina, 01.02.2009

Started by Barney, January 20, 2009, 08:22:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedandGreenSniper

Obviously JOM doesn't like the idea of Dillon as centre-half forward. Be interested to see how Trevor does there and Barry Moran inside.

A lot of eyes will be on the full-back line. Hope Vaughan does well because for me the corner is not his best position by any means
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Mayo4Sam

Decent team, be interesting to see how vaughan, GC and sweeney get on
some players on that i wouldn;t consider good enough to win an AI
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

MacDanger

Reasonably strong team.

Would have liked to see B Kelly in MF rather than McG. Also though we could have played someone else at wing back rather than Pat Kelly, not a bad player but I just think we have better options on the wing.

Who would have been the last Ballinrobe and Kiltane players to start for Mayo in a meaningful game? Prob one of the Careys from Kiltane?

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on January 30, 2009, 11:16:20 AM

Well, it's a good thing it's only the first game of the league so, isn't it? The All-Ireland isn't usually played until September.  ::)

That's not really the most helpful comment in the world Mayo4Sam, in fairness. Let's keep some perspective here.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: MacDanger on January 30, 2009, 11:30:19 AM
Reasonably strong team.

Would have liked to see B Kelly in MF rather than McG. Also though we could have played someone else at wing back rather than Pat Kelly, not a bad player but I just think we have better options on the wing.

Who would have been the last Ballinrobe and Kiltane players to start for Mayo in a meaningful game? Prob one of the Careys from Kiltane?

Last Ballinrobe player to start anyway would be Kenneth O'Malley, 2007 v Galway. Kiltane? Hmmn I dunno. Lindsay and Ed Barrett might have played FBD but that would be the height of it I'd say so probably Sean Carey

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on January 30, 2009, 11:38:54 AM

Well, it's a good thing it's only the first game of the league so, isn't it? The All-Ireland isn't usually played until September.  ::)

That's not really the most helpful comment in the world Mayo4Sam, in fairness. Let's keep some perspective here.

What i mean is some tried and tested players, BJP and gardiner being 2, would prefer to see some new lads being used in these positions.
I agree there is a time and a place for both these players, eg tyrone last year but surely we need to be looking at alternatives

MacDanger

RedandGreenSniper

I wouldn't be looking for an alternative for Gardiner M4S, he has loads to offer. And Billy Joe has critics but he's one of our most underrated players imo. Outstanding in the 06 final when all others were caving in around him. I wouldn't be worried if we had him wing-forward for championship. You can't try out too many lads at once either, league points have to be won and its easier for newer lads to do well if they've old heads beside them.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on January 30, 2009, 11:45:19 AM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on January 30, 2009, 11:38:54 AM

What i mean is some tried and tested players, BJP and gardiner being 2, would prefer to see some new lads being used in these positions.
I agree there is a time and a place for both these players, eg tyrone last year but surely we need to be looking at alternatives

I wouldn't like to a baby in your bathwater old stock.  :D

It's only the first game of the league. Plenty of time yet to move fellas in and out and around and about.

Mayo4Sam

Well i think theres no good in saying in may we've no new blood in
I think after FB the area we need the most work in is the HF line, scoring HFs, we have enough workers on the team, we need another HF, IMO, considering we have Dillon defo and hopefully harte

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 30, 2009, 11:09:05 AM
1, David Clarke (Ballina)
2, Liam O'Malley (Burrishoole)
3, Ger Cafferkey (Ballina)
4, Donal Vaughan (Ballinrobe)
5, Peadar Gardiner (Crossmolina)
6, Tom Cunniffe (Castlebar)
7, Pat Kelly (Kilmaine)
8, Ronan McGarrity (Ballina)
9, Tom Parsons (Charlestown)
10, Billy Joe Padden (Claremorris)
11, Trevor Mortimer (Shrule/Glencorrib)
12, Alan Dillon (Ballintubber)
13, Andy Moran (Ballaghaderreen)
14, Barry Moran (Castlebar)
15, Mikey Sweeney (Kiltane).

At at glance I can see that JOM is going for a different style of play and attack.
Dillon at centre forward had a play maker role, sending in decent ball to the forwards instead of penetrating runs.
Having Trev at CF we should see more stinging attacking runs from him. Dillon and BJPs job will be to score or get on the end of attacks more.
Having a big target man will also give us the option of root one, first time, long ball attacks, which is what defenders hate. Its better to have that and having Andy Moran, Sweeney and Mort (when he gets back) having a target man to work off. I hope it works out... it should.

The backs look solid too. I have high hopes for Donal Vaughan and Ger Caff. No harm in having some experience in each line with O Malley in the FB line and Gardiner in the HB line.

The midfield picks itself. hopefully McGarrity will find form again. I liked what I read about his own performance last year in the papers. he seems hungry for it again. All in all an fine team for this time of year. Id have some confidence this time, although a lot will depend on fitness given the time of year.

Mhaigh Eo Abu  ;D

FL/MAYO

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 30, 2009, 11:09:05 AM
Just on Mid West now, Mayo team named, along expected lines, Mort obviously injured, could play yet though I'd reckon

1, David Clarke (Ballina)
2, Liam O'Malley (Burrishoole)
3, Ger Cafferkey (Ballina)
4, Donal Vaughan (Ballinrobe)
5, Peadar Gardiner (Crossmolina)
6, Tom Cunniffe (Castlebar)
7, Pat Kelly (Kilmaine)
8, Ronan McGarrity (Ballina)
9, Tom Parsons (Charlestown)
10, Billy Joe Padden (Claremorris)
11, Trevor Mortimer (Shrule/Glencorrib)
12, Alan Dillon (Ballintubber)
13, Andy Moran (Ballaghaderreen)
14, Barry Moran (Castlebar)
15, Mikey Sweeney (Kiltane).

BJ Padden (Claremorris) is this correct, if so when did he transfer?

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on January 30, 2009, 12:33:07 PM
I think after FB the area we need the most work in is the HF line, scoring HFs, we have enough workers on the team, we need another HF, IMO, considering we have Dillon defo and hopefully harte

Cafferkey is new blood. Vaughan is new blood. Mikey Sweeney is new blood. And even though it seems like he's been around for ages Barry Moran really hasn't played that many games for Mayo.

The knock on O'Mahony isn't that he doesn't try new blood. It's the that the new blood hasn't been as good as the old blood, and maybe some of that old blood was dumped too early.

Willie Joe has done marvellous archive work at the Mayo GAA blog. You can see the 2006 team here, the last team O'Mahony didn't pick: http://mayogaablog.com/?page_id=427. Five survivors. Picking players hasn't been a problem. Getting them to play well has.

moysider

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on January 30, 2009, 01:53:44 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on January 30, 2009, 12:33:07 PM

Cafferkey is new blood. Vaughan is new blood. Mikey Sweeney is new blood. And even though it seems like he's been around for ages Barry Moran really hasn't played that many games for Mayo.

The knock on O'Mahony isn't that he doesn't try new blood. It's the that the new blood hasn't been as good as the old blood, and maybe some of that old blood was dumped too early.

Willie Joe has done marvellous archive work at the Mayo GAA blog. You can see the 2006 team here, the last team O'Mahony didn't pick: http://mayogaablog.com/?page_id=427. Five survivors. Picking players hasn't been a problem. Getting them to play well has.

I ll go along with that Iolar.

I like the cut of this team for the opening round. Unless they play like a drain I m expecting a home win. If the 2 young lads in fb line settle in it would be a great boost.

kevmy

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 30, 2009, 11:11:17 AM
Obviously JOM doesn't like the idea of Dillon as centre-half forward. Be interested to see how Trevor does there and Barry Moran inside.

A lot of eyes will be on the full-back line. Hope Vaughan does well because for me the corner is not his best position by any means

I'd be that way inclined myself. I think Dillon has done all his best work for the county on the wing. I think thats his best position

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 30, 2009, 11:50:21 AM
I wouldn't be looking for an alternative for Gardiner M4S, he has loads to offer. And Billy Joe has critics but he's one of our most underrated players imo. Outstanding in the 06 final when all others were caving in around him. I wouldn't be worried if we had him wing-forward for championship. You can't try out too many lads at once either, league points have to be won and its easier for newer lads to do well if they've old heads beside them.

I've no problems with BJP on the wing. As you said he was one of the few players to perform in the 06 final. I'd leave him there though he is not an intercounty FF, FB or midfielder.

Overall not a bad team I'd like to see the young lads settle in and get a decent settled defence before the end of the league. I think pretty much the best forwards we have have nailed down a position. Theres only really two spots open if you take it that Dillon, the 2 Morts and Andy Moran will start the championship. That leave the likes of BJP, Pat Harte and Kilcoyne fighting it out for a place in half forwards and Mikey Sweeney, Barry Regan and Barry Moran looking for a place inside