Maigh Eo -v- Doire, Ballina, 01.02.2009

Started by Barney, January 20, 2009, 08:22:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

People ask me what to expect from Mayo this year and to be honest, I don't know what team JOM will have on Sunday or for the league campaign or championship so I'm not really expecting much from anything (league/championship) this year. I think JOM made a balls of the McD situation last year and while that's discussed on another thread (Mayo thread), I wonder if we will see Nallen this year? I haven't been Nallen's biggest fan over the past few years and I don't expect him to start on Sunday week. It's a long time since Mayo lost in Ballina so hopefully that will continue on Sunday. PS, does anybody know what is the story with Aiden Campbell?? And isn't it time we started bringing on members of the U-21 winning side from 06?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 24, 2009, 06:10:26 PM
People ask me what to expect from Mayo this year and to be honest, I don't know what team JOM will have on Sunday or for the league campaign or championship so I'm not really expecting much from anything (league/championship) this year. I think JOM made a balls of the McD situation last year and while that's discussed on another thread (Mayo thread), I wonder if we will see Nallen this year? I haven't been Nallen's biggest fan over the past few years and I don't expect him to start on Sunday week. It's a long time since Mayo lost in Ballina so hopefully that will continue on Sunday. PS, does anybody know what is the story with Aiden Campbell?? And isn't it time we started bringing on members of the U-21 winning side from 06?

Which ones do you suggest? Likes of Barrett, Ronaldson, Cuniffe, Howley, Higgins, Boyle, Kilcoyne, Conroy, Campbell, Barry Moran and O Shea have been in the senior team. Cafferkey would have been apart from injury. Of the 15 only Marcus Hannick and Dillon has nt I think. And they could do worse than look at Hannick imo.

RedandGreenSniper

Haven't seen Hannick recently but I wouldn't have thought he was of the standard two years ago. Campbell definitely seems to be off the hit list at the minute.

After that you have eleven of the starting team who will probably be in the Mayo championship squad this year - Kenneth O'Malley, Trevor Howley, Ger Cafferkey, Keith Higgins, Chris Barrett, Tom Cunniffe, Colm Boyle, Barry Moran, Seamie O'Shea, Aidan Kilcoyne and Mark Ronaldson. Campbell seems to be off the radar and Dillon and Hannick were always unlikely to make it. Michael Conroy has went backwards a bit unfortunately. But one of the subs is worth a mention. Enda Varley is flying with UL according to Redcol, he kicked seven points in the McGrath Cup semi-final. Given we have few quality inside men, he's worth a look
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 24, 2009, 11:51:22 PM
Haven't seen Hannick recently but I wouldn't have thought he was of the standard two years ago. Campbell definitely seems to be off the hit list at the minute.

After that you have eleven of the starting team who will probably be in the Mayo championship squad this year - Kenneth O'Malley, Trevor Howley, Ger Cafferkey, Keith Higgins, Chris Barrett, Tom Cunniffe, Colm Boyle, Barry Moran, Seamie O'Shea, Aidan Kilcoyne and Mark Ronaldson. Campbell seems to be off the radar and Dillon and Hannick were always unlikely to make it. Michael Conroy has went backwards a bit unfortunately. But one of the subs is worth a mention. Enda Varley is flying with UL according to Redcol, he kicked seven points in the McGrath Cup semi-final. Given we have few quality inside men, he's worth a look

Hmmmm. I ve this nag about Hannick. He played full forward on that team. He s a fine player and any senior club in my area would be glad of him. In fact he would probably be a linchpin. Unfortunately I think a lot of people see junior club and dismiss him. He s the main reason Killala are in A I semi. The few times I ve seen him this year he was outstanding but of course the county management were hardly around.
I saw all the matches in 2006 U21 campaign. I was one of about 10 Mayo people at the opening match in Carrick. Hannick was one of our most consistent forwards of the campaign and was always marked by a quality player. Kilcoyne was poor in every game except the final (e.g  he was hauled off v Leitrim) but a lot of people only saw the final and took that as the benchmark. Hannick acquitted himself well in the final and was only the width of the post from being man of the match contender. He s got qualities that we often yearn for in this county, size, brain, enough pace, can make runs and play as target. Good tecknique and can kick frees. What s not to like?

I always thought that Kevin Costello( another player affected by junioritis) was a classy footballer and how anybody thought that Dillon was a better 11 or anything else I ll never understand. Replacing Dillon with Cost. was the winning of the 06 AI but instead of commending the management on an enlightened substitution I would dismiss them for their flawed judgement throughout the campaign. The half forward line spluttered throughout with only the youngster Campbell holding his end up. I would nt put Dillon and Hannick in the same boat.

I would always have put Costello ahead of Varley but I have nt seen Varley in some time. Always capable of taking good scores. But we need lads who can win hard ball inside against evil corner backs. If he can do that I d pencil him in. I m begining to get a bit sceptical about third level form. Older lads show up well at this time of year - Mort, Ronaldson as well. But Andy Moran s been doin that for years and come Summer looks like he on a threadmill.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: moysider on January 25, 2009, 12:49:39 AM

Hmmmm. I ve this nag about Hannick. He played full forward on that team. He s a fine player and any senior club in my area would be glad of him. In fact he would probably be a linchpin. Unfortunately I think a lot of people see junior club and dismiss him. He s the main reason Killala are in A I semi. The few times I ve seen him this year he was outstanding but of course the county management were hardly around.
I saw all the matches in 2006 U21 campaign. I was one of about 10 Mayo people at the opening match in Carrick. Hannick was one of our most consistent forwards of the campaign and was always marked by a quality player. Kilcoyne was poor in every game except the final (e.g  he was hauled off v Leitrim) but a lot of people only saw the final and took that as the benchmark. Hannick acquitted himself well in the final and was only the width of the post from being man of the match contender. He s got qualities that we often yearn for in this county, size, brain, enough pace, can make runs and play as target. Good tecknique and can kick frees. What s not to like?

He probably is worth a look on the basis of what I hear was good club form last year but I'm just not convinced. I was at all the games for the Under 21's that year too but I just can't share you're appraisal of Hannick's input. He was decent the first day against Leitrim (played on Good Friday iirc) but the reality is that from then on he was hanging onto that full-forward spot almost as much as Dillon was hanging onto the number 11. Conroy and Ronaldson did very well in the corners and I think they were the forwards, along with Campbell, for whom we could be most grateful for getting us to the final. Kilcoyne was poor up to then but watched the final recently and in fairness he was class but sin sceal eile.
Can't see how Hannick could have been a man of the match contender. He badly missed a great goal chance and the point was kickable too, although under pressure. If I recall correctly he was only on the ball a handful of times and it was no surprise when he and Dillon were taken off.
But I did see him playing with Killala a good few times since and played against him (mainly during their first run to the All-Ireland semi-final) and he did look the business for them, but the level of football wasn't hectic. Still he was good under pressure. And he has improved so, as I say, maybe he's worthy of a look. All irrelevant now anyone cos there doesn't seem to have been any trawl of the county for players this year . .

Regarding Kevin Cos', a good player, very smart footballer who has a lot to offer. Size probably against him though but a good playmaker. Varley has strength, that's one huge facet of his game. He is very hard push off the ball. Third level form, who's to  say? But he certainly has put his hand up to be worthy of a look. He's left footed so wouldn't be 100% comfortable at 15 but that's not the end of the world either. He has a great kicking range too but needs to find consistency imho.

Looking around the country at the different counties and the amount of players they have tried out  to date. We haven't tried out half enough . . .

IolarCoisCuain

There's a delay naming the Mayo team until they see if Conor Mort can get his nose fixed after getting it busted. Conor can be trying on the nerves, but his scores would be badly missed.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5822&Itemid=39

RedandGreenSniper

Here's my stab at the team that'll play (not necessarily the team I'd like to see btw)

Clarke

O'Malley Ger Cafferkey Donal Vaughan
Gardiner Cunniffe Kelly

McGarrity Parsons

Harte Dillon Trevor Mort
Conor Barry Moran Mikey Sweeney

If Conor doesn't make it I'd say Andy Moran will get the call-up. Also I'd say he'll opt for Harte above BJP so that he can have a look at Harte while he's in the country. He obviously sees something in Tom Cunniffe, hope he's right

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 28, 2009, 01:09:31 PM
Here's my stab at the team that'll play (not necessarily the team I'd like to see btw)

Clarke

Gardiner Cunniffe Kelly

McGarrity Parsons

Harte Dillon Trevor Mort

If Conor doesn't make it I'd say Andy Moran will get the call-up. Also I'd say he'll opt for Harte above BJP so that he can have a look at Harte while he's in the country. He obviously sees something in Tom Cunniffe, hope he's right

I m expecting BJP Andy and Austin to start and maybe Barry Regan. What team would you like to see Sniper?

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: moysider on January 28, 2009, 01:49:42 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 28, 2009, 01:09:31 PM

Clarke

Gardiner Cunniffe Kelly

McGarrity Parsons

Harte Dillon Trevor Mort

I m expecting BJP Andy and Austin to start and maybe Barry Regan. What team would you like to see Sniper?

I think Austie's place in the wider scheme of things is not what it was last year. Barry Moran seems to have started at full-forward in all the challenge games. He's college tied for the FBD but I reckon JOM is going to give him his head there for the league. A few of the Mitchels lads are adamant that's his best position too.
I'd like to see that full-forward line I've mentioned above start but I wouldn't mind either if Ronaldson started in front of Sweeney. Both are similar players - clever, eye for goal and a handful to mark but failings are size and a shooting range. I reckon Harte, Dillon and Trevor is our best half-forward line but BJP would be very close to that also.
Personally I'd like to see Barry Kelly in midfield, see how he gets on and don't rush McGarrity back in.
In defence I'd sooner see Vaughan at wing-back than the corner - he offers an awful lot going forward and may be too light yet for the corner (although that could be said about wing-back too). I'd like to see McLoughlin in too but the fact that he's been away for the FBD means he might not be high up the pecking order yet. Vaughan definitely seems to be JOM's more popular choice for the corner.
Maybe JOM sees Tom Cunniffe as his centre-back for championship. I still think Trevor Howley is the best option. While he is out why not try someone new there - Pat Kelly - rather than playing someone like Cunniffe whose form in that position we know.
Has JOM had to name a squad for the league?

This would be the team I'd prefer
Clarke
O'Malley Ger Caff Kevin McLoughlin
Gardiner Pat Kelly Vaughan
Kelly Parsons
Harte Dillon Trevor Mort
Conor Mort Barry Moran Mikey Sweeney

IolarCoisCuain

Anthony Hennigan makes a stab at a team in the Western:

http://www.westernpeople.ie/news/story/?trs=eycwqlkfgb&cat=sport

Impossible though it is to select the full team, likely starters would look to include goalkeeper David Clarke, defenders Liam O'Malley, Peadar Gardiner, Pat Kelly and Tom Cunniffe, Tom Parsons and perhaps Billy Joe Padden at mid-field, with the Mortimers, Conor and Trevor, Alan Dillon, Andy Moran and Austin O'Malley in attack.

If any journalist in the county has Johnno's ear it must be Hennigan after their time together on the radio show. Like Moysider, Austin seems a more likely pick for Johnno at full-forward than Barry Moran to me, based on the manager's previous selections. Whether that's right or wrong, well, who knows, really? We'll just have to wait and see.

INDIANA

don't want to butt in lads, but O Malley was blessed to be starting for vincents last year and will be under pressure this year. I wouldn't see him as a cast iron automatic starter for vincents. I don't know how that translates to inter county but there you have it.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: INDIANA on January 28, 2009, 02:54:46 PM
don't want to butt in lads, but O Malley was blessed to be starting for vincents last year and will be under pressure this year. I wouldn't see him as a cast iron automatic starter for vincents. I don't know how that translates to inter county but there you have it.

Don't worrt INDIANA that comment will be very popular with a few of the anti-Austie brigade here! I think he has had his chance and is just not a runner and if JOM persists with him then I'd be worried

Barney

Austie's time has passed - he just doesn't have it at this level. Unfortunate but true.

I think JOM will go along the lines of the team that played against Cork.

The central spine of Cafferkey, Cunniffe, McGarrity, Parsons, Trevor and Barry Moran looks a positive start to build a team around.

Looking forward to seeing Vaughan and hopefully McLoughlin.

Liam O'Malley has disappointed on many occasions. He is too loose and will have to convince that he deserves another season of chances.

I don't think Pat Kelly is the answer. He has the physicality and is good going forward but once the ground hardens he will be in bother.

Up front I'd like to see something different. I don't think Sweeney has any answers and is much of a muchness to others on the panel. Barry Regan deserves some kind of chance.

What I would like to see over the league is:

A. A development of a team for championship football.

B. A more commonsense tactical approach including some attempt at a defensive game plan.

C. Players taking responsibility on the pitch and digging in when the going gets tough with a never-say-die attitude.

D. A strong performance in Salthill/Tuam to lay down a marker for the Connacht Championship.

If we get those kind of things a lot of the likely sins we will see can be accepted.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Barney on January 28, 2009, 07:53:24 PM
Austie's time has passed - he just doesn't have it at this level. Unfortunate but true.

I think JOM will go along the lines of the team that played against Cork.

The central spine of Cafferkey, Cunniffe, McGarrity, Parsons, Trevor and Barry Moran looks a positive start to build a team around.

Not sure about Trevor at centre-half forward. I'd prefer Dillon but could be worth a go too. I've said my piece about Tom Cunniffe, the rest I'd be very confident about.

Looking forward to seeing Vaughan and hopefully McLoughlin.

Liam O'Malley has disappointed on many occasions. He is too loose and will have to convince that he deserves another season of chances.

I don't think Pat Kelly is the answer. He has the physicality and is good going forward but once the ground hardens he will be in bother.

Up front I'd like to see something different. I don't think Sweeney has any answers and is much of a muchness to others on the panel. Barry Regan deserves some kind of chance.

Think Liam O'Malley is still worth a go. Perhaps its as much to do with the lack of corner-backs as anything but I still think he's a solid option. I'd prefer Aidan Higgins in there but JOM doesn't see this for whatever reason. Either way with Ger Cafferkey at full-back and possibly Vaughan/McLoughlin in the other corner, someone with a bit of experience is needed for now.

Pat Kelly perhaps not an option at wing-back because of pace, I'll agree with ya there. I'll be curious to see how he gets on at centre-half back though.

Both Sweeney and Regan deserve a shot during the league. But I'd be more confident in Sweeney's chances at this point in time.

What I would like to see over the league is:

A. A development of a team for championship football.

B. A more commonsense tactical approach including some attempt at a defensive game plan.

C. Players taking responsibility on the pitch and digging in when the going gets tough with a never-say-die attitude.

D. A strong performance in Salthill/Tuam to lay down a marker for the Connacht Championship.

If we get those kind of things a lot of the likely sins we will see can be accepted.

I agree 100%. Here's hoping . . .

rosnarun

we have to think of sunday as a new beginning for a lot of the younger player as they have had a year to develop . i was very much against playing cunniffe and boyle last year as i didnt think they were ready. but this year will be the real test for them.
If the like of Vaughan. o loughlin  and sweeney show promise then they should be used carefully and not exposed like cunniffe and boyle were last year . we have to accept that our plaer are not coming into the team ready made but they should be coming into a squad atmosphere where they can take their game to another level.  we must be patient
Except with AOM hes rubbish
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere