US plane crashes in Hudson river

Started by ExiledGael, January 15, 2009, 08:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: maddog on January 16, 2009, 10:48:11 AM
The Al-Queda pigeon club maybe.

Or the AFLP (Avian Front for the Liberation of Palestine)?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

rootthemout

lucky they had such an experienced pilot,saved their lives,and i thought he was just plane sailing :)

longrunsthefox

It is a beautiful walk along the Hudson in winter with the New York skyline in the background....

ziggysego

BREAKING NEWS: Due to all the protesting in England, Heathrow are going to use the Thames as the third runway.
Testing Accessibility

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: J70 on January 16, 2009, 05:17:41 AM
You're not dealing with animals that can be simply excluded by a fence.

If they were Palestinian geese I'm sure the Israelis would give it a go.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

ExiledGael

muppet

Quote from: Minder on January 16, 2009, 10:22:17 AM
Quote from: muppet on January 16, 2009, 10:13:15 AM
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_strike

The impact of a 5 kg (12 pound) bird at 240 km/h (150 mph) equals that of a 1/2 ton (1000 pound) weight dropped from a height of 3 meters (10 ft).

The aircraft would have been flying at least that speed and reports are it was Canada Geese.

Airlik it is unconformed that it was a double enigine failure unless you have seen that somewhere?

Passengers are confirming that the left engine failed.

They said on the news last night it was a double engine failure.

None of the passengers have said that as far as I've seen.

The Mayor Of New York Bloomberg said both engines failed. He may be right. I'm just surprised that the passengers can clearly describe the left one failing and dont seem to talk about the right one failing. Everything would go really really quiet when the second one went.

MWWSI 2017

Tyrones own

QuoteEverything would go really really quiet when the second one went.

That's true but surely if he had the right engine he would have been able to turn around and make an emergency landing
without feeling the need to dump her in to a river :-\
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Aerlik

Quote from: Tyrones own on January 16, 2009, 10:56:21 PM

That's true but surely if he had the right engine he would have been able to turn around and make an emergency landing

Correct.  Unless it was incorrectly loaded which is unbelievably, extremely, highly unlikely, if you get my drift.

Apparently that photo of all the people standing on the wing of the aircraft was taken by a woman using a camera attached to the end of a telescope from several blocks away.  On one of the Aussie shows yesterday you can clearly see the vignetting affect that is indicative of such a shot.  I hope to hell she has copyrighted that shot because if not she will regret it.  It is one of those shots that every photographer dreams of, the once in a lifetime shot that will be forever remembered.

On the same Aussie show, we were given the commentary of an American TV reporter who clearly stated that (and I paraphrase) the plane glided into "minus 6 degrees" water.  Umm, Physics wasn't my big thing at school but I do remember the bit about water freezing at zero degrees Celsius/32F.  Quality.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Aerlik

Quote from: Orior on January 16, 2009, 08:12:53 AM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 15, 2009, 09:10:01 PM
This is what a bird strike can do to a plane

I feel sorry for the swan.

Not a swan!

And that looks like either a Piper Chieftain or Navajo in behind. 
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: Aerlik on January 17, 2009, 04:34:48 AM

Correct.  Unless it was incorrectly loaded which is unbelievably, extremely, highly unlikely, if you get my drift.

Apparently that photo of all the people standing on the wing of the aircraft was taken by a woman using a camera attached to the end of a telescope from several blocks away.  On one of the Aussie shows yesterday you can clearly see the vignetting affect that is indicative of such a shot.  I hope to hell she has copyrighted that shot because if not she will regret it.  It is one of those shots that every photographer dreams of, the once in a lifetime shot that will be forever remembered.

On the same Aussie show, we were given the commentary of an American TV reporter who clearly stated that (and I paraphrase) the plane glided into "minus 6 degrees" water.  Umm, Physics wasn't my big thing at school but I do remember the bit about water freezing at zero degrees Celsius/32F.  Quality.

Aerlik, it wouldn't be frozen its a moving river (don't know the speed though) if anything the very top would have a thin sheet of ice if any.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

magickingdom

Quote from: Aerlik on January 17, 2009, 04:34:48 AM

aerlik, i know you know your flying but water freezes at different temp depending on salt content. the hudson would have alot of salt in it at that point so the freezing point is much lower, -10 is not uncommon. also as DH says its a flowing river..

Bud Wiser

Did they not have time to put life jackets on as someone has already observed?
We had an ould plane at home one time and I used to fly it around over Ballinakill and one day I got in a spot of bother over Drury's pub and tried to land her in the Nore river.  Ok, so I missed, but, I didn't miss by that much as you will see from what was left of my Massey Ferguson coloured Calor Gas propelled flying machine.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"