US plane crashes in Hudson river

Started by ExiledGael, January 15, 2009, 08:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Fear ón Srath Bán

A bird-strike so close to a take-off is the airport's fault. No aeronautical technology is capable of dealing with that.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

J70

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on January 16, 2009, 12:48:24 AM
A bird-strike so close to a take-off is the airport's fault. No aeronautical technology is capable of dealing with that.

How close to take-off did the bird strike happen?

The plane took off out over the East River and would have been over the Bronx within seconds.

Tyrones own

Quote from: J70 on January 16, 2009, 01:23:42 AM

How close to take-off did the bird strike happen?

The plane took off out over the East River and would have been over the Bronx within seconds.

I caught 20 minutes of Savage on the way home from work this evening, he reckoned it was probably Global warming that had
the poor geese confused :D.... fcuk it I had to laugh at that.. :D
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

J70

Airports generally have wildlife people on staff to manage the bird threat . However, there is no possible way of keeping birds out of flight paths 100% of the time - all you can do is reduce the risk and take steps to minimize their presence on the airport grounds and flight paths as much as you can. You're not dealing with animals that can be simply excluded by a fence. There are thousands of flights in and out of NYC every day - they do a pretty good job considering.

Aerlik

Quote from: hardstation on January 15, 2009, 09:54:44 PM
Pilot did well. Lucky it wasn't Aerlik, he'd have put her up the buckin main street.

Fuckin apt...AND they'd not have got their feet wet or lost luggage, AND they'd have been readily accessible for CNN to interview whilst buying me pints of stout and lauding me the hero.  Aye, tiocfaidh mo la!

That aside, birdstrike is a serious thing no matter what size the machine.  I have pictures of a Chieftain aircraft (9 seater) which clocked a hawk on final approach into Derby Western Australia.  It smashed through the captain's window and he managed to land the plane too. 

It doesn't matter what size the bird it will do damage whether it be to a wing or an engine and big turbine engines are not designed for bird ingestion, no matter what the manufacturers might say with their promos for the A380 engines.  For a double engine failure though, well there must have been a whole flock of them go in.  I have seen B737s grounded in Pt.Hedland and Broome after striking small birds and the engine going ape-shit.

I actually almost hit a wee bird yesterday morning but it had the brains to jook under the prop.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

gerry

pilot done a great job to bring the plane down in one piece and for everyone to walk away
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

mannix

nyc is along a huge migratory path for birds, so much so that they knock off the empire state lights at night to stop them flying into it and killing themselves and injuring people below. weird but true.

I had a humming bird every summer in the back garden at the flowers and shrubs when i lived in queens, looked it up online, he would fly from mexico every early summer to the north east.But he would not knock a kite never mind a plane.

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Maiden1

There are no proofs, only opinions.

muppet

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_strike

The impact of a 5 kg (12 pound) bird at 240 km/h (150 mph) equals that of a 1/2 ton (1000 pound) weight dropped from a height of 3 meters (10 ft).

The aircraft would have been flying at least that speed and reports are it was Canada Geese.

Airlik it is unconformed that it was a double enigine failure unless you have seen that somewhere?

Passengers are confirming that the left engine failed.
MWWSI 2017

Minder

Quote from: muppet on January 16, 2009, 10:13:15 AM
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_strike

The impact of a 5 kg (12 pound) bird at 240 km/h (150 mph) equals that of a 1/2 ton (1000 pound) weight dropped from a height of 3 meters (10 ft).

The aircraft would have been flying at least that speed and reports are it was Canada Geese.

Airlik it is unconformed that it was a double enigine failure unless you have seen that somewhere?

Passengers are confirming that the left engine failed.

They said on the news last night it was a double engine failure.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Hardy

Quote from: muppet on January 16, 2009, 10:13:15 AM
reports are it was Canada Geese.

Just as well it wasn't an El Al flight then, or Israel would be bombing Toronto already.

mylestheslasher

Did ye see the 9 O Clock news on RTE. That Eilieen one (her of the GAA late late show fame) asks Charlie Bird what happened. Charlie says the plane collided with some birds. Eileeen asks has a terrorist strike been ruled out. WHat the f**k is she on about? Terrorist Geese!! I thought Fox news was bad.

maddog

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 16, 2009, 10:47:04 AM
Did ye see the 9 O Clock news on RTE. That Eilieen one (her of the GAA late late show fame) asks Charlie Bird what happened. Charlie says the plane collided with some birds. Eileeen asks has a terrorist strike been ruled out. WHat the f**k is she on about? Terrorist Geese!! I thought Fox news was bad.

The Al-Queda pigeon club maybe.