Late Late Show - GAA Special

Started by stephenite, January 08, 2009, 02:16:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

RedandGreenSniper

Job done, feel somewhat better now
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Dougal Maguire

I always like to listen to this to remind me of how big a bollox Plank Kenny is:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=A3xFxaVucmE
Careful now

thebandit

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 11, 2009, 08:36:05 PM
I know Cavans football history quite well. The first Ulster team to win all ireland, the winners of the only all ireland to be played outside the country. Kicked out of all ireland with Kerry for protests, trying to get into Leinster and then proposing to start their own province. All great stories of the GAA from earlier times. Every county must have them. This was supposed to be a celebration about the 125 years of the GAA, not 1970 - 1980 Football history. Some d4 rugger bugger with no understanding of the game must have been veting the content of the show as it was total joke

It sounds like the Ky Auvin boys need a show of their own!

Not a mention made of the Gallant John Joe either.

thebandit

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 11, 2009, 05:08:52 PM
Quote from: thebandit on January 11, 2009, 12:49:25 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on January 11, 2009, 12:08:29 PM
certainly it was a Kerry-Dublin love in. The west barely got a mention either nor the Rebels and all their great hurlers down the years  nor Crossmaglen.....   

When Peter Quinn tried to expand on 'the northern issue' Pat cut him off. The reality is that what happened in the north for 35 years barely affected the majority of the population in the 26 counties, and that for most people on the island, Mikey Sheehy's overrated chip was a far more significant event than the deaths of Hogan, McAnespie, Brown or the occupation of St Oliver Plunkett Park.

Ah ffs here we go again. Suddenly Pat Kenny speaks for every Gael south of the border? The man is as in touch with the GAA as I am on nuclear physics.

I would personally liked to have seen a lot more given to 'the northern issue' but I think you're blurring the waters comparing Mikey Sheehy's chip to events in the north. Moments like these relate almost entirely to events on the field, its not some anti northern conspiracy.

I agree with that, and it was right that the programme should focus more on the skills of the game rather than other events.

But I stand over what I said, for most people on the island, Mikey Sheehy's overrated chip was a far more significant event that these events, and that the great Cavan team of the 1940s, the great Down team of the 1960s, the county of Cork, and the great games of hurling and handball were sidelined in favour of Dublins only truly great team.

I stand to be corrected on this, but I dont think handball was mentioned at all.

Orior

Yis are all hard to please feckers
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Canalman

What's with the whinging lads? Did anyone seriously think it would be any good?

Watched a DVD instead called Cass. Utter dung and to be avoided at all cost.

Croí na hÉireann

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

spiritof91and94

A load of shite to say the least.
Why did they have Kevin Mussen in the audience and not interveiw him about being the first man to carry Sam over the border in 1960. Maybe they thought Brush Shiels was more value or Paidi 'Saturday Night Fever' O'Shea was more interesting.
Also Peter Quinn getting cut off was wrong.
Again a Kerry / Dublin love in.
RTE messed this one big time.

Doogie Browser

I still after three days cannot understand why the f**k Brush was on the show, it was embarrassing and everyone in the audience was thinking the same as he murdered the Fields of Athenry.  There are plenty more Irish entertainers with more direct links to the GAA than that tool, actually makes me angry when I think about it on reflection.
Bobby Davro would have been more value  :D

Hardy

Precisely. I thought I'd share with you the Brush paragraph of my email to RTÉ.

But sweet leppin Christ Almighty, what do you people have against Brush Shields? Why do you insist on dragging him from his richly-merited obscurity for a ritual public humiliation at every opportunity? It's not right and it has to stop. Elder abuse is against the law, you know. It's not  funny any more and my kids are getting fed up listening to me asking, as I watch drop-jawed through my fingers at poor Brush making a fool of himself for his RTÉ ringmasters once again, what exactly does RTÉ think Brush is for? I'm intrigued to find out, because the rest of us have no idea. Can you help?

ziggysego

Quote from: Doogie Browser on January 12, 2009, 12:29:17 PM
Bobby Davro would have been more value  :D

Bobby goes to more GAA matches than Brush ;)
Testing Accessibility

BerfArmagh

What a bag of piss the show was on friday night. It actually started quite well. I thought Bertie was very good & had a great deal of knowledge. What dunphy was doing there I don't know. As for Brush sheils the less said the better. Pat was his usual plank self, with an audience like he had, there could have been so much more to the show. I enjoyed heffo, kevin moran & Jack O Se etc... Hurling for the most part got a raw deal...

As for Pat spillane, hes not known as Pat the Bollix for nothing, jesus he has a high opinion of himself, you could nearly hear the audience collectively groan when he appeared..

You'd think there was no-one but Kerry & Dublin in the country & they saved the association from ruin...

TG4 should be much better

PS Where was Marty Morrissey?

Shamrock Shore

QuotePS Where was Marty Morrissey?

Probably hidden in the same cupboard as Brian Carteeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

mylestheslasher

Quote from: thebandit on January 12, 2009, 01:42:19 AM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 11, 2009, 05:08:52 PM
Quote from: thebandit on January 11, 2009, 12:49:25 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on January 11, 2009, 12:08:29 PM
certainly it was a Kerry-Dublin love in. The west barely got a mention either nor the Rebels and all their great hurlers down the years  nor Crossmaglen.....   

When Peter Quinn tried to expand on 'the northern issue' Pat cut him off. The reality is that what happened in the north for 35 years barely affected the majority of the population in the 26 counties, and that for most people on the island, Mikey Sheehy's overrated chip was a far more significant event than the deaths of Hogan, McAnespie, Brown or the occupation of St Oliver Plunkett Park.

Ah ffs here we go again. Suddenly Pat Kenny speaks for every Gael south of the border? The man is as in touch with the GAA as I am on nuclear physics.

I would personally liked to have seen a lot more given to 'the northern issue' but I think you're blurring the waters comparing Mikey Sheehy's chip to events in the north. Moments like these relate almost entirely to events on the field, its not some anti northern conspiracy.

I agree with that, and it was right that the programme should focus more on the skills of the game rather than other events.

But I stand over what I said, for most people on the island, Mikey Sheehy's overrated chip was a far more significant event that these events, and that the great Cavan team of the 1940s, the great Down team of the 1960s, the county of Cork, and the great games of hurling and handball were sidelined in favour of Dublins only truly great team.

I stand to be corrected on this, but I dont think handball was mentioned at all.

Handball wasn't mentioned but Paul Brady was in the crowd. I'm sure he was a bit bemused by the fact he was there and there was no mention. I'm certain Pat would not have recognised him anyway - maybe he should have claimed to have played on the Dublin team of the 70's!