Late Late Show - GAA Special

Started by stephenite, January 08, 2009, 02:16:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Heard him say it a few times. Surprised no one pulled him on it. At least we can rely on TG4 to provide us with something special. How did we survive without it?
Testing Accessibility

longrunsthefox

You're right again Ziggy- nothing beautiful about soccer expect when Everton play it  ;)

milltown row

Brush Shields.  was that the dodgey looking fella with the hat and crap coat?  he reminded me of the boys that "look after ya car sir" about Croke

whats his talent, why was he on and what da F*ck was he talking about? thought he was going to cry his lamps out at one point

Fuzzman

Well said LongrunstheFox.
I'd say we're gonna end the Pool's season in the next 2 weeks with defeats in the league and FA Cup

I totally agree about Brush Shiels. What an eejit and for a GAA show surely they could have had a better Dub entertainer.

I'd love to have heard more yarns from Keaveny or Heffo and was wondering was there ill feelings between Dara O'Shea and the Tyrone lads.
Mickey Harte hardly smiled all night and Dara sounded very edgy even though I thought it a little unfair of Pat to shove the Dooher picture into his face.

All in all I enjoyed the program but it could have been a lot better.
I think a lot of people are fed up with Spillane getting so much air time.
Am I right to say a lot of the older Kerry players are embarassed by the man?

Where was Brian Cody?
I thought it would have been better to talk to Cody and Harte as both are great speakers

We can only look forward to this TG4 series.

Shamrock Shore

I believe RTE ignored any suggestions from the 125 committee formed by the GAA as to the makeup of the show. I believe that there was shock and horror when they heard the line up but they were powerless.

I watched a bit more and all I can say is out of 10 I'd give the show 0

Nob nation was as funny as piles.
Scuab Shiels should be banished from all GAA grounds for life. What he did was worse than assaulting a ref.
Christy Cooney almost made me nod off
Dara would have been in his rights to tell The Plank to be amorous with himself and walk off.

All in all a complete dogs dinner and I look forward to the TG4 series.

Hardy

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on January 11, 2009, 03:27:35 PM
Christy Cooney almost made me nod off

I actually did fall asleep as soon as the Nicky and Christy act started. I remember the first 20 seconds or so and thinking to myself "not really Morecambe and Wise, more Wise and Wise". Then I was woken up by some gawky looking ginger hoor roaring, but at least the credits were rolling by that stage.

longrunsthefox

Right enuff that christy Cooney is less than inspiring... the charisma of a wet rag.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: thebandit on January 11, 2009, 12:49:25 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on January 11, 2009, 12:08:29 PM
certainly it was a Kerry-Dublin love in. The west barely got a mention either nor the Rebels and all their great hurlers down the years  nor Crossmaglen.....   

When Peter Quinn tried to expand on 'the northern issue' Pat cut him off. The reality is that what happened in the north for 35 years barely affected the majority of the population in the 26 counties, and that for most people on the island, Mikey Sheehy's overrated chip was a far more significant event than the deaths of Hogan, McAnespie, Brown or the occupation of St Oliver Plunkett Park.

Ah ffs here we go again. Suddenly Pat Kenny speaks for every Gael south of the border? The man is as in touch with the GAA as I am on nuclear physics.

I would personally liked to have seen a lot more given to 'the northern issue' but I think you're blurring the waters comparing Mikey Sheehy's chip to events in the north. Moments like these relate almost entirely to events on the field, its not some anti northern conspiracy.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Redhandfan

Quote from: Fr. Cyril McDuff on January 11, 2009, 01:59:56 PM
Anybody else notice Pat Kenny referring to "the beautiful game" (as in soccer) 2/3 times during to show? An insufferable tit of the highest order.

There were a few things that had me banging my head off the wall while watching this show.  That arsehole Brush Shiels murdering the Fields of Athenry, Pat Kenny not allowing Peter Quinn to elaborate on his point about Northern GAA members not always getting support from down south during the Troubles, and that comedian who I had never heard tell of and who didn't exactly have the audience in stitches with his unfunny impersonations.  However, Kenny's reference to "the beautiful game" on at least two occasions really sickened my hole and proved that he was not worthy of hosting a programme to mark 125 years of the GAA. 

The show was not all bad last Friday night but I felt it could have been better.  Kenny was responsible for a lot of the bad points and is the reason why I would avoid watching the Late Late any other weekend.  What a pity he didn't allow Des Cahill or the great Micheal to present the show in its entirety last Friday.

Dougal Maguire

The programme was a disgrace. I only saw up as far as Brush Shields and fortunately I had to go out and missed the rest. My sports mad kids who'd watch tiddlywinks on telly if it was on also stopped watching at that stage. RTE should be ashamed of itself. I couldn't believe it when they cut out the singing of The West's Awake, despite the fact that Eileen Dunne referred to it specifically. People should be writing to the newspapers to highlight their anger. I'm not from the south but I'd be pretty pissed off to see my license fee going on that sh*te
Careful now

The Voice Of Reason

RTÉ is very D4 focused, sometimes I get the feeling that they're a bit annoyed over the fact that they _have_ to show "bogball"  ::) ... so as a paranoid nordie, I wonder did RTÉ conspire to show the GAA in a bad light, so more people will see the "light" of "the beautiful game" and rugger?  :P

gerry

missed this as i was working and was going to watch it online but i do not think i will bother now going by the posts on here
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

ONeill

Wouldn't it have been great to have the 'legends' on the stage, fellas you don't hear much from - I wonder who has the oldest All-Ireland medal in either code. That'd be some quest if someone's up for it. 80 years ago perhaps? Some young buck on the Kerry 4-in-a-row side of 29-32?

The likes of Frank McGuigan, Sean O'Neill, Jim McKeever, Jody O'Neill, Joe Kernan etc could tell some tales from an Ulster football perspective. Not buckin Brush or Bertie or Eamon. Jaysss
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

mylestheslasher

I know Cavans football history quite well. The first Ulster team to win all ireland, the winners of the only all ireland to be played outside the country. Kicked out of all ireland with Kerry for protests, trying to get into Leinster and then proposing to start their own province. All great stories of the GAA from earlier times. Every county must have them. This was supposed to be a celebration about the 125 years of the GAA, not 1970 - 1980 Football history. Some d4 rugger bugger with no understanding of the game must have been veting the content of the show as it was total joke

Shamrock Shore

Email of disappointment sent to latelate@rte.ie

I'd encourage you all to do the same.