These New Rules are a joke

Started by BallyhaiseMan, January 03, 2009, 09:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

80/85 whatever. It's still crazy that if this is correct we have 85 lads one yellow card away from a 2 week suspension.

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 06, 2009, 03:03:08 PM
80/85 whatever. It's still crazy that if this is correct we have 85 lads one yellow card away from a 2 week suspension.
That can't be right though. I think the Indo got it wrong.

Getting two yellow cards on two separate occassions within 12 months resulted in a one match suspension. That was fair and just.

I can't believe the Indo are correct in saying that now  getting one yellow card on two separate occassions would result in a suspension.  That would be a nonsense.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Hound on January 06, 2009, 03:58:53 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 06, 2009, 03:03:08 PM
That can't be right though. I think the Indo got it wrong.

Getting two yellow cards on two separate occassions within 12 months resulted in a one match suspension. That was fair and just.

I can't believe the Indo are correct in saying that now  getting one yellow card on two separate occassions would result in a suspension.  That would be a nonsense.

That's my point Hound.

Fear ón Srath Bán

One aspect that I think may be understated somewhat is the relative paucity of substitutes if they're (the six subs) going to provide cover for both the yellow cards and injuries – it's hardly a duck feather duvet of an insurance blanket.

Taking the worst (cynical) case scenario: the Kerry  ;) manager is prepared to take a chance on incurring no more than three injuries, therefore he feels that he can 'afford' to have three of the starting fifteen swapped out of the game, after they have softened up one of the opposition dangermen. This means that 1. He needs to be very sure that, whomsoever the referee may be, he doesn't brandish a red for the obvious foul that is going to rough his opposite number up 2. He needs to be sure of this on three separate occasions 3. He must be very hopeful indeed that there is adequate cover on the bench for any injuries that subsequently arise for any position on the field 4. He wins, because if he loses after such a blatant display of thuggish gamesmanship he could find himself rather shorn of support, from any quarter.

Far too many risks there for any manager worth his salt I'd say, even if he's only taking a risk with one or two of his starting fifteen. QED
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

guevara

The GAA are just too bloody stubborn to adopt another sports succesful system!!!!

A points system in terms of discipline would sort the whole mess out. Revert back to old "Yellow" & "Red" card system.
Giver referees a claer list of fouls that if committed reward in Yellow or Red card.
For example third man tackle yellow straight away, deliberate jersey holding yellow, striking automatic red, any sort of abusive language to ref Red.

If player receives a Yellow 3 points for Red its 5. Reach certain total you face suspension. Straight Red your Suspended.
One disciplinary body & allow players to be punished for incidents on the field even if referee misses it (Red card incidents only).
Use media to prove innocence or guilt in terms of getting boys suspended or exonerated.
If County board appeal a suspension when they know fine well the player is guilty the County board gets warning then next time it happens they are fined. Removes all the nonesense of County Boards appealing decisions to hold up bans being handed out.

Lastly remove the whole abuing of officials from game. Take Rugby example if Ref has prob he speaks to team Captains & possibly player involved. Anyone who abuses an official off straight away with a hefty ban.
You may argue some officials are crap I know I do but only way to improve the game is having the scenario were Refs can logically explain why they came to a decision without being hounded by 4 & 5 players. There is very little respect shown to them & if there were more we would have more hope of attracting guys better suited to the job eg ex players !!
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

Zulu

QuoteThe problem with that Zulu, is consistency, and that's the core problem with any rules like this. What one ref deems a yellow card, another will deem not worthy of a tick.

Consistency will always be a problem AZ it won't be unique to this system.

QuoteA points system in terms of discipline would sort the whole mess out. Revert back to old "Yellow" & "Red" card system.
Giver referees a claer list of fouls that if committed reward in Yellow or Red card.
For example third man tackle yellow straight away, deliberate jersey holding yellow, striking automatic red, any sort of abusive language to ref Red.

If player receives a Yellow 3 points for Red its 5. Reach certain total you face suspension. Straight Red your Suspended.
One disciplinary body & allow players to be punished for incidents on the field even if referee misses it (Red card incidents only).
Use media to prove innocence or guilt in terms of getting boys suspended or exonerated.

I disagree that the above is any better than what we have now, in your system a player could commit a yellow card offense 2 or 3 times before he gets really punished, under this system he commits it once and he is gone. So I believe lads will be less inclined to commit these type of fouls thus leading to less frees and more flow to the game.

QuoteLastly remove the whole abuing of officials from game. Take Rugby example if Ref has prob he speaks to team Captains & possibly player involved. Anyone who abuses an official off straight away with a hefty ban.
You may argue some officials are crap I know I do but only way to improve the game is having the scenario were Refs can logically explain why they came to a decision without being hounded by 4 & 5 players. There is very little respect shown to them & if there were more we would have more hope of attracting guys better suited to the job eg ex players !!

I agree but I don't think comparing football to rugby is fair, rugby is an easier game to ref and it is easier to call the captains together for a chat, in football the captains could be at opposite ends of the field, this type of craic would take too much time and captains have too little influence anyway.

guevara

Rugby easier to ref than GAA?
I agree to differ. Rugby has a lot more contact, contact is encouraged in gaa its best to avoid contact.

But this aint about Rugby! Far to many guys these days are getting booked not because they are deliberately fouling players its because they have made two or three fouls & its seen by refs that one black book two your booked ( in old system)
There is no intepretation from refs to say " ok I thought the player was genuinely trying to play the ball there" or "ok it was foul but not intended" then I wont tick or book him. But there seems to be clear instructions which result in boys getting booked in games for nothing!

Also if you actually look at the amount of times a Rugby ref ever speaks to the captains is largely only once twice a game. I dont think its big ask to ask a corner back or full forward (captain) to jog to ref to be told " Listen calm your no 2,6,9, whatever down or he's gone. This way 1 players face conseqiences of letting there team & captain down & 2 they2 they cant argue they werent given sufficient warning.
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

Zulu

QuoteAlso if you actually look at the amount of times a Rugby ref ever speaks to the captains is largely only once twice a game. I dont think its big ask to ask a corner back or full forward (captain) to jog to ref to be told " Listen calm your no 2,6,9, whatever down or he's gone. This way 1 players face conseqiences of letting there team & captain down & 2 they2 they cant argue they werent given sufficient warning.

Can't they ref talk to them like he does now? For example there is a bit of argy bargy between 7 & 11 of one team and 2 & 15 of the other, I think it would be stupid for the ref to have to locate the the 2 captains (who might be at opposite ends of the field) and tell them to find the 4 players and talk to them rather than calling them over himself and saying look boys any more of that and ye'll get booked/sent off.

QuoteBut this aint about Rugby! Far to many guys these days are getting booked not because they are deliberately fouling players its because they have made two or three fouls & its seen by refs that one black book two your booked ( in old system)
There is no intepretation from refs to say " ok I thought the player was genuinely trying to play the ball there" or "ok it was foul but not intended" then I wont tick or book him. But there seems to be clear instructions which result in boys getting booked in games for nothing!

I agree totally but you'll have other lads calling for consistency. In fairness unlike rugby football is a muti directional game and tackles came come from anywhere with far more off the ball contact. The tackle is open to massive interpretation, so it is a very difficult game to ref, now IMO having said all that the quality of referring is generally poor but the only thing I would take from rugby is the advantage rule, to keep the game flowing and have less frees.

guevara

The rule should be that its the third man in who gets most punishment because at end of the day he isn't going to help matters unless he's pulling his team mate away.
2 guys on 1 team are at 2 from another Yellow card the 4! then take captain tell him they are on last warning.
How many stoppages do we have these days? tons. Hence the emergence of the Maor Uisce. It isn't because they are bringing on water they are there its because Managers are taking advantage of the numerous stoppages to get instructions to players.

As Ive said this wouldn't be happening 20 times a game the ref may want to speak to captains 2 maybe 3 times a game & as a result will result in fewer lengthly stoppages caused by these melees we see every year now were 30 boys pile in all chests out pushing & shoving.

We don't see it in other more aggressive sports why should we in GAA? If players realise they have greater consequences as a result of certain actions then they will discontinue to do them.

Michael Jordan

Tyrone Dreamer

I can see a huge problem here if refs continue to referee games as they did previously. At the minute if a corner back goes out and pulls/shoulders etc an attacker of the ball then the umpire usually calls the ref over and both players are booked. It would be a shame if the best attackers in the country are sent off in the early stages of a big game for feck all.

These new rules are far to risky with the referees we have and could ruin games. We'd be safer investing time in training and improving referees performances. Far to many games are being ruined by whistle friendly refs who at every opportunity stop play to issue a tick and at the same time penalise the attacking team by slowing the game down. These rules wont solve anything, just cause a mess.

Malone Aristocrat

QuoteQueens manager Aidan O'Rourke has opened a hornet's nest by questioning the harshness - and validity - of suspensions meted out under the experimental rules.

The Armagh man was without Paul Courtney for last night's facile win over Antrim after the midfielder picked up yellow cards in successive matches - and thus incurred a two-week ban.

O'Rourke opted not to field Courtney. However, he feels confident he would have been able to get away with using the player had he chosen to do so...

"As things stand, the experimental rules were brought in for the McKenna Cup and other provincial competitions but there was no supplementary disciplinary rules brought in with the new rules.

"By the letter of the law, two double-yellows within 48 weeks bring you the suspension, but you can't get two yellows with these new rules, so it seems unfair. Boys are getting two-weeks suspension for two relatively small misdemeanours.

"We have looked into it and it is our understanding that we are in the right. Last year's rules are being used for the provincial competitions and I think we could fight it and win if we needed to.

"It means Paul may be missing out on matches that he really shouldn't have to miss, and that isn't on."

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=105698

A fortnight for two of these yellow cards inside 48 weeks?

A month when you gt the third yellow?

AZOffaly

This is crazy. I suspect the authorities didn't consider this. Imagine getting 2 yellow cards, months apart, and getting a 2 week ban. Crazy stuff.

The GAA

what wold third or fourth yellow cards over a season mean?

laceer

I think the new rules worked alright today.The ref wasn't ticking and booking layers after every tackle and the players were trying to tackle properly (most of the time) Not too sure about the 2 yellows = 2 weeks ban though

Open yer eyes Man

I thought he was quite sensible about applying the new rules and probably didn't apply them as much as he could have.  He did let a awful lot go and didn't have much choice with the yellows.