Great escape-club or county

Started by Drumanee 1, December 19, 2008, 12:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drumanee 1

what memory's do you have of your team getting out of a match with a win or draw,i remember derry v monaghan 1993 and derry went on to win the all-ireland,down v derry 1991,down kick a last minute free to draw and also go on and win the all-ireland.my own club bellaghy have had a couple of great escapes against dungiven and slaughtneil and went on to win the championship.

AZOffaly

This Years Model

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 19, 2008, 12:55:50 PM
Offaly 82,

Offaly 81

Offaly 94

You might as well add '98 AZ. Wexford rarely played as well as they did that day, only for Johnny Dooley to step up and do his thing. The memory of that day still breaks my heart. It doesn't help that I have the Offaly '98 video at home. No matter how many times I watch that goal I still can't see the ball from the moment it drops from the short 65 among a crowd of players to the moment it (apparently) hits the back of the net. Offaly went on to do quite well that year  >:( >:( >:(

My club were being beaten out the door in a Junior County Semi-Final, 8 points down with 5 mins to go. We clawed back 1-3 and then played a long ball in over the FF and FB. The goalie came out and collected it and went to pick out one of his wing-backs. Instead he kicked it straight into the arms of our CF who launched it straight back over his head from 35 metres as he made a desperate attempt to get back in his goal. Game over. We were quite embarrassed about it all ....  :P  .... and then we won the final handy ;D

nrico2006

Tyrone V Down 2003.  Wexford V Meath this summer. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

cornafean

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 19, 2008, 01:28:53 PM
Tyrone V Down 2003.  Wexford V Meath this summer. 

Did either match matter a whole lot in the end. Had Tyrone lost to Down in '03, I'm happy they would have beaten Donegal and Galway, and ended up in an AISF v Armagh, whom they beat in the final anyway, and a final v Kerry, whom they beat in the Semi.

Wexford this year would have easily handled Limerick, Kildare & Fermanagh to reach the last 8 v Cork. They could well have beaten Cork.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Kevin

Quote from: This Years Model on December 19, 2008, 01:18:00 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on December 19, 2008, 12:55:50 PM
Offaly 82,

Offaly 81

Offaly 94

You might as well add '98 AZ. Wexford rarely played as well as they did that day, only for Johnny Dooley to step up and do his thing. The memory of that day still breaks my heart. It doesn't help that I have the Offaly '98 video at home. No matter how many times I watch that goal I still can't see the ball from the moment it drops from the short 65 among a crowd of players to the moment it (apparently) hits the back of the net. Offaly went on to do quite well that year  >:( >:( >:(

My club were being beaten out the door in a Junior County Semi-Final, 8 points down with 5 mins to go. We clawed back 1-3 and then played a long ball in over the FF and FB. The goalie came out and collected it and went to pick out one of his wing-backs. Instead he kicked it straight into the arms of our CF who launched it straight back over his head from 35 metres as he made a desperate attempt to get back in his goal. Game over. We were quite embarrassed about it all ....  :P  .... and then we won the final handy ;D

Fair play for bringing up that painful memory. I remember the moment as if it was yesterday.

On the Offaly side of it I can remember sitting at Furlong's in the Catskills in a dreary rainy day thinking to myself: we had all that talent and all we have to show for it is the hijacked '94 All Ireland.

Then Dooley's bullet just before full time. I think Fitzhenry was screened because his reaction was late.

But then again that's no excuse at all. We always thought he could stop Offaly shots blindfolded. He had a big part of breaking our flow and will in 1996. I still have nightmares about 2004.

milltown row

we played McDees in the junior Hurling final a few years ago (our second team) i was on management team and we were always getting beat by mcdees right up to the final 5 mins. 6 points in it at that point.
McDees were going for their first All County championship final win in any code,  we had a mixture of young pups and some older ones including Da McGourty. we sent over a couple of frees late on and still they were 3/4 points up on 60 minutes. they had their kids all decked out in the colours and flags ready to run onto the pitch. the referee who's name escapes me signaled for 4 minutes. i started to gather up the sticks at this point, thanked their managers and wished them luck and see them at their club later for a few. with time almost up we found ourselves 2 points down and the referee give us a 60 metre free. Da McGourty came up from nets and struck the free in towards goal. keeper made a hash of it ball went up in the air and the ff knocked into the net, game over we won

McDees had problems with the changing rooms afterwards and the kids seemed a bit pissed off

armaghniac

How is a great escape different from a great comback? http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=8002.15

Probably in how close things get to the final whistle and how flukey the win is.

Armagh v Fermanagh 1993 Athletic Grounds
Crossmaglen v Pearse Og in Keady a few years ago.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

saffron sam2

Quote from: Drumanee 1 on December 19, 2008, 12:53:51 PM
what memory's do you have of your team getting out of a match with a win or draw,i remember derry v monaghan 1993 and derry went on to win the all-ireland,down v derry 1991,down kick a last minute free to draw and also go on and win the all-ireland.my own club bellaghy have had a couple of great escapes against dungiven and slaughtneil and went on to win the championship.

Your memory, my friend, is playing tricks on you. Derry beat Monaghan handy at Casement Park in 1993.  
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Bogball XV

Quote from: saffron sam2 on December 19, 2008, 09:09:04 PM

Your memory, my friend, is playing tricks on you. Derry beat Monaghan handy at Casement Park in 1993.  
Wasn't that handy, Brolly came on and turned the game round, nailed down the problem corner forward position and was instrumental in Derry going on to take their one and only all ireland.  Drum is most likely referring to the year prior where Monaghan were giving Derry a wild stuffing 8/9 points at half time (Stephen McGinnity?) but Derry fought back to draw the game.

saffron sam2

Quote from: Bogball XV on December 19, 2008, 10:12:58 PM

Wasn't that handy, Brolly came on and turned the game round, nailed down the problem corner forward position and was instrumental in Derry going on to take their one and only all ireland.  Drum is most likely referring to the year prior where Monaghan were giving Derry a wild stuffing 8/9 points at half time (Stephen McGinnity?) but Derry fought back to draw the game.

Nailed it down so well in fact that Stephen Mulvenna started there in the Ulster final.

Bogball XV

Quote from: saffron sam2 on December 19, 2008, 10:19:00 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on December 19, 2008, 10:12:58 PM

Nailed it down so well in fact that Stephen Mulvenna started there in the Ulster final.
Aye, but that was coleman all over, he knew the ulster final would be handy and that Brolly was the type of character who needs motivating ;)

saffron sam2

Quote from: hardstation on December 19, 2008, 10:39:41 PM
No, bogball, if my memory serves me right, from seeing this game, on video, a few years ago, it was Derry who were leading by 8/9 points, at half time.
Monaghan buried 3 goals and went 2 points up.
Bateson sored a goal, to put Derry a point up.
Monaghan got a late point for a draw.

And, as far as I remember, it was Gerry McClorey reffing it.

I could be wrong though.

Shooting fish in a barrel, hardstation. I fear Bogball XV has been drinking. Or maybe there is a more sinister medical explanation.

You wouldn't have a copy of the video? I'm sure there would be takers for that one.

Bogball XV

Quote from: hardstation on December 19, 2008, 10:39:41 PM
No, bogball, if my memory serves me right, from seeing this game, on video, a few years ago, it was Derry who were leading by 8/9 points, at half time.
Monaghan buried 3 goals and went 2 points up.
Bateson sored a goal, to put Derry a point up.
Monaghan got a late point for a draw.

And, as far as I remember, it was Gerry McClorey reffing it.

I could be wrong though.
I'll agree with that HS, shocking memory loss, but it was 15.5 years ago, and not being in possession of the said video what chance did i have?  As to Sam's allusions about me beering etc, sadly not the case, there may however be an underlying medical condition :'(

Tyrones own

Minor championship final with Eglish in '87 :o against Carrickmore, 10 points to 1 down at half time came back to beat them by a point...
They then beat us by a point two weeks later in the league Final :'(
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann