Best known player you've marked

Started by 5 Sams, December 12, 2008, 10:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

under the bar

I marked Peter Canavan in the Knockmany Cup in 1980.  Restricted him to about 0-5

mannix

none really but played with a few  names,
shane ryan and tommy carey of westmeath.
Best I ever seen playing on the same field as me would be richie foran of soccer fame. he would be the first name on the dublin sheet if he wanted. unreal player.

illdecide

thats a hard one to remember as i've pretty much marked most  of the current Armagh forward line as well as inter county men from numerous counties all over Ireland (far to many to remember).

the one that sticks out was i went up to Castlewellan one night and marked Ciaran McCabe in midfield and got destroyed in 10 mins flat i was only a cub then and still learning, it was an education alright so from then on i realised my strengths were taking people out first before the score about 1-6...lol
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

off the laces

i know i have maked 4 all ireland winners, and a few other county panelists from around the province,but the most famous players i have marked must be Jerome Quinn and Paddy Heaney ;D ;D ;D
Keeps 'er' straight

Teachtaire

Jim Magilton - then he went to play soccer

TG4

I would have marked or been marked by a fair few county players.

Aaron Kernan
Ciaran McKeever
Paddy McKeever
Aidan O' Rourke
Duirmaid Marsden
Martin O' Rourke
Niall McCusker
Mark Lynch
Joe O' Kane
Kieran Toner
Kevin Dyas
Charlie Vernon

probably a few more that im forgetting

The GAA

Big ist tg4. toughest or easiest opponent?

TG4

hard enough to say.

actually never minded being marked by ciaran mc keever. always find him hard but fair

kernan was a bit of a nightmare always bombing forward

mc cusker just a beast of a man

behind the wire

Quote from: mannix on December 15, 2008, 05:31:22 PM
none really but played with a few  names,
shane ryan and tommy carey of westmeath.
Best I ever seen playing on the same field as me would be richie foran of soccer fame. he would be the first name on the dublin sheet if he wanted. unreal player.

was there not a story a couple of years back about richie foran telling the management at motherwell that he had to go home to dublin because his grandmother was ill when in fact he just went home so as he could play for st vincents in the championship? or something alongthose lines, just vaguely remember hearing about it and that motherwell werent too happy when they found out.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

boojangles

Quote from: Canalman on December 15, 2008, 12:48:32 PM
During my time as a journeyan club corner back I marked Charlie Redmond, Joe McNally,Jayo/Dessie Farrell (in the same cup game in Mobhi Road......Dessie replaced Jayo at half time....was the time when the county players turned out regularly for clubs) and an oldish P J Buckley.
Marked Dotsie O'Callaghan a few times in the hurling.

Sin é.

Marked Dotsie the summer before last out in Boston,great footballer.Lovely left boot.Still remember him nearly beating Tyrone minors on his own in 2001.Tink he is more into the Hurling these days but there isnt too many County football teams he wouldnt make.

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: boojangles on December 16, 2008, 12:48:47 PM
Quote from: Canalman on December 15, 2008, 12:48:32 PM
During my time as a journeyan club corner back I marked Charlie Redmond, Joe McNally,Jayo/Dessie Farrell (in the same cup game in Mobhi Road......Dessie replaced Jayo at half time....was the time when the county players turned out regularly for clubs) and an oldish P J Buckley.
Marked Dotsie O'Callaghan a few times in the hurling.

Sin é.

Marked Dotsie the summer before last out in Boston,great footballer.Lovely left boot.Still remember him nearly beating Tyrone minors on his own in 2001.Tink he is more into the Hurling these days but there isnt too many County football teams he wouldnt make.

a very famous inter county coach once said......if you want to be a great footballer, go to the states or retire... :D :D :D :D

Canalman

Last I heard Ritchie Foran played for O'Connell Boys/St Josephs, an outfit based in the north inner city. Had the misfortune many years ago to mark Roddy Collins who "played " for them at the time. I think that Foran's family are highly involved with the club.

I presume that he played elsewhere as a juvenile as this club have only started up a juvenile section recently.

Carmen Stateside

Horse Devlin and Ricey
Was sent off a few times against Ricey >:(
Cormac Mc Ginley and Mickey Magee was always the toughest challenge!

Marked Kevin Mc Cloy in a minor Hurling match back a few years ago, seemed like he was the same size then as he is now!

Let me add Sean Teague to that, had the pleasure of taking the full force of a Teague shoulder one night in a Martin Hurson cup game.  Think i would have been safer playing with the traffic that night, dont think i would have been hit as hard!

bigfrank

You were sent off Carmen,dont believe ya:) ;D ;D

Carmen Stateside

Oh if only i could get the pleasure to mark you Big Frank!!!! :D