Best known player you've marked

Started by 5 Sams, December 12, 2008, 10:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog

Johnny Mooney All Ireland winner 82, John Mitchells v Emeralds late summer 1991, he punched me in the crigs

maddog

Oh and Mark Grimley in training one day, we were still minors and as noone had showed for training they threw us in with the seniors, i just got flattened as soon as the ball was thrown in for the practice match

Declan

Smoking Joe McNally, Ciaran Duff, Mick Deegan

AZOffaly

Not going to get into my personal battles on the field, but the title of this thread reminds me of the story of a lad who played Masters football for Offaly back in the 90s at some stage. I'd say his inter county career was like my own, sporadic and brief, but he made himself available for Masters selection, and lo and behold he was picked. We'll call him Paddy.

Anyhow, Paddy is in the dressing room before the game, and is picked at half forward. He's thrown the jersey, picks it up and says 'Lorrd Jayysus. I'm a mightly Proud Man this day'.

So the game starts, and the ball is thrown in. Straight away a break comes out and the Laois wing back tears off down the field and taps over the opening score of the game.

Pat Doyle, an ex Ferbane great, is in the corner forward position, and lets a roar. 'Paddy, pick up that lad going forward, good man!'.

The game continues, and about 3 minutes later, from an Offaly kickout, the ball is punched forward by the Offaly midfielder, but Paddy's man picks it up again and plays a one-two with the centre forward before clipping it over the bar from about 30 yards out, with Paddy back standing with his hands on his hips and knowing Paddy, a blade of grass in the gob.

Pat Doyle, a competitive man all his career, is not impressed. 'For f**k Sake Paddy, will you FOLLOW that lad for Jaysus' Sake'.

Paddy looks around 'DOYLER!!!!'

'What?'

'What number's on my back?'

'12, what the f**k does that matter?'

'It's HIS f**king job to follow me!!!'

corn02

Couldn't really say I was marking boys while sitting on the bench. The odd gasme I played when we hadn;t the numbers resulted on me being put on the dud so big name players I encountered few.

The worst skinning I ever got was from Kevin ORourke who isa floating around the Armagh panel. I think I lasted about seven minutes before I was swapped to someone else. Absolutely destroyed.

North Longford

QuoteMarked Joe Brolly in a club game, gave a running commentary of the game the whole way thru, would ask you a question and before you gave him an answer he was away like a shot....cute heure.

Marked him twice when he was in Queens the year Derry won the All Ireland and I can concur completely with what was said above.

Canalman

During my time as a journeyan club corner back I marked Charlie Redmond, Joe McNally,Jayo/Dessie Farrell (in the same cup game in Mobhi Road......Dessie replaced Jayo at half time....was the time when the county players turned out regularly for clubs) and an oldish P J Buckley.
Marked Dotsie O'Callaghan a few times in the hurling.

Sin é.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: corn02 on December 15, 2008, 11:48:10 AM
Couldn't really say I was marking boys while sitting on the bench. The odd gasme I played when we hadn;t the numbers resulted on me being put on the dud so big name players I encountered few.

The worst skinning I ever got was from Kevin ORourke who isa floating around the Armagh panel. I think I lasted about seven minutes before I was swapped to someone else. Absolutely destroyed.

Superb footballer. Wouldn't have marked him but he friggin took my place on an u16 team when we were joined. I'd been perserved with most of the year but management finally took the decision that a talented footballer at 12 or 13 was a better option than a big slow and useless 15 year old. Hauled me off halfway through a league final only for the replacement to score a goal to get us a replay and I was left on the bench for the last 2 games of the season (both finals). Emotionally scarred for life so I was.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Declan on December 15, 2008, 10:50:50 AM
Smoking Joe McNally, Ciaran Duff, Mick Deegan

Joe McNally fell on top of me in a compromise rules game in Australia earlier this year, I was fairly slow getting to my feet after that :P
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

corn02

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on December 15, 2008, 12:59:48 PM
Quote from: corn02 on December 15, 2008, 11:48:10 AM

Superb footballer. Wouldn't have marked him but he friggin took my place on an u16 team when we were joined. I'd been perserved with most of the year but management finally took the decision that a talented footballer at 12 or 13 was a better option than a big slow and useless 15 year old. Hauled me off halfway through a league final only for the replacement to score a goal to get us a replay and I was left on the bench for the last 2 games of the season (both finals). Emotionally scarred for life so I was.

Least you got a bit of ball, I was the waterboy - and the best darned waterboy on the team!

Goats Do Shave

Probably Brian Mallon – Don't think he scored against me in the Championship... 2 weeks later, he destroyed me in the league final!

Lecale2

I marked MIckey Linden in Mayobridge one night.

He was marked all around the shins and ankles and never got a touch of the ball all evening. South Down u14 Hurling League circa 1976.

Onion Bag

I have marked Stevie Mc Donnell on a couple of occasions (Well Tried to anyway)
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

rrhf

I marked Big Joe mc Nally filled with Bud in a game of psychoball in a swimming pool in Grand Canaria in September 96, and I thought Meath brought bruises.   

Maroon Heaven

Roy Malone - Nearly took my shoulder out as well from a shoulder he gave me