Thomond Park to host soccer

Started by youbetterbelieveit, December 11, 2008, 10:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

youbetterbelieveit

Very interesting, ideal size of a stadium for some irish matches I would think.

Thomond Park to host soccer
Thursday, 11 December 2008 10:12
Officials at Thomond Park are ready to open their doors to soccer after UEFA approved the venue as an international soccer venue.

The stadium is believed to be in serious talks with some of the leading European soccer clubs about hosting a pre-season tournament in the near future.

Stadium Director John Cantwell has confirmed that such a move would be subject to ratification by the IRFU and the FAI.

Officials hope to announce more details early in the new year.

ziggysego

Soccer's a joke. Muscling into GAA and IRFU grounds ;)
Testing Accessibility

Zapatista

Where is and who owns Thomond park?

southderryman

Quote from: Zapatista on December 11, 2008, 11:36:26 AM
its in limerick, home ground of munster rugby

orangeman

Evil Genius

Quote from: Zapatista on December 11, 2008, 11:36:26 AM
Afaik, it was owned by the IRFU, who sold/passed ownership over to Munster Rugby. For the recent renovation, Munster Rugby raised/are raising approx half the cost, with the IRFU supplying the other half. In return, the IRFU gains 50% ownership, but MR plans to purchase this back over a period, so that they will once more own it outright.

The IRFU also owns Ravenhill, in Belfast.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

his holiness nb

How many does the stadium hold?

Would be good to see some international soccer brought to the people of the west.
Ask me holy bollix

AZOffaly

This is strange. I thought an international ground had to be all seater, or at least have the Croke Park 'fixed' temporary seating.

The capacity of Thomond Park is 26,000, but a good portion of that is made up of the existing North and South Terraces, as well as terracing in front of both new stands. I'd say 18,000 max if seats were put in there.

Zapatista

The FAI are worse than dead baseball stars.

If you build it they will come.