Dido - another one on the OWC hitlist

Started by Donagh, December 08, 2008, 02:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donagh

'Thoughtless' Dido criticised over IRA rebel song on new album

By Mail On Sunday Reporter   ::)
Last updated at 11:35 PM on 06th December 2008

Dido has included a verse from a Republican protest song on one of her new tracks

As one of pop music's golden girls, she has amassed a £10million fortune from her catchy yet inoffensive songs.

But one of the tracks on Dido's latest album takes a surprisingly political twist, and is likely to upset some fans.

The singer, whose late father was of Irish descent, has included in it a verse from a Republican protest song once banned by the BBC.

In Let's Do The Things We Normally Do, Dido (real name Florian Cloud De Bounevialle O'Malley Armstrong) sings lines from The Men Behind The Wire, a rebel tune written 30 years ago in tribute to the provisional IRA men interned in the Seventies.  ::)

The song, penned by Paddy McGuigan, a member of the Barleycorn folk band from the infamous Falls Road in Belfast, is now associated with extreme republican movements such as Continuity IRA and the Real IRA:o

The lines borrowed by Dido include: 'Armoured cars and tanks and guns, Came to take away our sons, But every man must stand behind, The men behind the wire.'

Last night, the use of the lyrics on Safe Trip Home, the singer's third album, was described as 'thoughtless' and an insult to those whose families had suffered at the hands of the IRA.

Gregory Campbell, MP for East Londonderry and Minister for Sports, Arts and Leisure in the Belfast devolved government, said: 'Given her Irish roots, it is inconceivable that she doesn't know the background of the wording.

'She must know it was written about people who were murderers, arsonists and terrorists::)

'She should clarify her position so that her fans and the wider public knows where she stands on these things.'

Dido's new album is said to have been inspired in part by the death in 2006 of her father William O'Malley Armstrong, a publishing executive.

Though he was born in Pakistan, his mother Maeve was an Irish Catholic and his father Alfred was an Ulster Protestant, and he was educated in English Catholic schools.

Dido has previously said in interviews that many of her earliest childhood memories are of traditional Irish songs that her father used to sing to her and her brother Rollo as children every night.

Rollo, 42, himself a musician, collaborated on the new album.

southderryman

Quote from: Donagh on December 08, 2008, 02:47:11 PM
'Thoughtless' Dido criticised over IRA rebel song on new album

By Mail On Sunday Reporter   ::)
Last updated at 11:35 PM on 06th December 2008

Dido has included a verse from a Republican protest song on one of her new tracks

As one of pop music's golden girls, she has amassed a £10million fortune from her catchy yet inoffensive songs.

But one of the tracks on Dido's latest album takes a surprisingly political twist, and is likely to upset some fans.

The singer, whose late father was of Irish descent, has included in it a verse from a Republican protest song once banned by the BBC.

In Let's Do The Things We Normally Do, Dido (real name Florian Cloud De Bounevialle O'Malley Armstrong) sings lines from The Men Behind The Wire, a rebel tune written 30 years ago in tribute to the provisional IRA men interned in the Seventies.  ::)

The song, penned by Paddy McGuigan, a member of the Barleycorn folk band from the infamous Falls Road in Belfast, is now associated with extreme republican movements such as Continuity IRA and the Real IRA:o

The lines borrowed by Dido include: 'Armoured cars and tanks and guns, Came to take away our sons, But every man must stand behind, The men behind the wire.'

Last night, the use of the lyrics on Safe Trip Home, the singer's third album, was described as 'thoughtless' and an insult to those whose families had suffered at the hands of the IRA.

Gregory Campbell, MP for East Londonderry and Minister for Sports, Arts and Leisure in the Belfast devolved government, said: 'Given her Irish roots, it is inconceivable that she doesn't know the background of the wording.

'She must know it was written about people who were murderers, arsonists and terrorists::)

'She should clarify her position so that her fans and the wider public knows where she stands on these things.'

Dido's new album is said to have been inspired in part by the death in 2006 of her father William O'Malley Armstrong, a publishing executive.

Though he was born in Pakistan, his mother Maeve was an Irish Catholic and his father Alfred was an Ulster Protestant, and he was educated in English Catholic schools.

Dido has previously said in interviews that many of her earliest childhood memories are of traditional Irish songs that her father used to sing to her and her brother Rollo as children every night.

Rollo, 42, himself a musician, collaborated on the new album.

there's another stocking filler sorted  ;D

Puckoon

So, what's this got to to with OWC? Conversely, what would the general opinion of dido be if her new album contained lyrics saying "no surrender to the IRA?

T O Hare

"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Gabriel_Hurl

Tonto

Ahh, yes I can see it now; Donagh running out to the shop to buy Snoop Dogg's new song with the lyrics "in Dungeon deep, I know what fate awaits me...".  Or maybe "we're up to our knees in Fenian blood" would be more comparable?  Who knows?

Anyway, what this has to do with OWC I have no idea.  Regardless, it is unfortunate that an international artist would seemingly try to promote militant republicanism long after the SFIRA have surrendered both their weapons and their principles in favour of the half crown.

Donagh

Quote from: Puckoon on December 08, 2008, 02:54:24 PM
So, what's this got to to with OWC? Conversely, what would the general opinion of dido be if her new album contained lyrics saying "no surrender to the IRA?

About as much as Holly from Kent, Rose McGowan or the wee lad from X-Factor.

Donagh

Quote from: Tonto on December 08, 2008, 03:05:48 PM
Ahh, yes I can see it now; Donagh running out to the shop to buy Snoop Dogg's new song with the lyrics "in Dungeon deep, I know what fate awaits me...".  Or maybe "we're up to our knees in Fenian blood" would be more comparable?  Who knows?

Anyway, what this has to do with OWC I have no idea.  Regardless, it is unfortunate that an international artist would seemingly try to promote militant republicanism long after the SFIRA have surrendered both their weapons and their principles in favour of the half crown.

How exactly is she promoting militant republicanism?

nifan

Quote from: Donagh on December 08, 2008, 03:12:36 PM

What did they say about the wee lad from x-factor - i thought it was some republicans who overdid the outrage when he sang on that hero song?

Donagh

Quote from: nifan on December 08, 2008, 03:19:41 PM
What did they say about the wee lad from x-factor - i thought it was some republicans who overdid the outrage when he sang on that hero song?

Some loons over there objected to him playing hurling for Dungiven and said some uncomplimentary things about his family for wearing what they thought was a Dungiven geansaí.

nifan

well that is indeed tragic.

I doubt that much of OWC was up in arms however

Puckoon

Quote from: nifan on December 08, 2008, 03:19:41 PM
Quote from: Donagh on December 08, 2008, 03:12:36 PM

You'd be correct nifan. There was no thread on the gaaboard about it.

Donagh

Quote from: nifan on December 08, 2008, 03:24:30 PM
well that is indeed tragic.

I doubt that much of OWC was up in arms however

I didn't notice too many objecting but I suppose when you have the mods cheerleading the bigots I don't expect too many would raise an objection for fear of getting banned.

Lecale2

Is that really her full name? No wonder she uses Dido.

thejuice

I think this goes back to lyrical interpretation. Yes Dido is using the lyrics from that song but taken in the context of the song she is using it it refers to something completely different. Of course I wouldnt expect Gregory Campbell to figure that out. He's just an arsehole. Does he really conclude that Dido is some sort of RA-head just from these four lines in a song. If you took that approach to every form of music you would be offended by everything.

He's clearly looking to be offended. I'll send him some Gorogoroth or Cannibal Corpse to listen to.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016