speeding ticket

Started by overdabar, December 04, 2008, 04:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

... until you apply for a mortgage, a credit card, an Australian visa, a US visa, a driving licence somewhere, etc.

flog the lot

i got a fine for not wearing seatbelt in new zealand over a year ago, fine was sent to my home address as well, have never paid it and never heard anything more about it....

full back

As someone says be careful with this one
There is a scam going around where the scanners have an inside person in car rental companies & they get peoples details & send out fake fines.
Another one is scammers standing outside a car rental firm & getting people to fill in a questionaire or something similar in order to get their home address so they can send out fake fines.
If you are considering paying it, call the Victoria cops first

Onion Bag

Bin it to f**k, and if the letters continue to get heavier, try and contact them to find out what the story is
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: full back on December 05, 2008, 09:28:39 AM
There is a scam going around where the scanners have an inside person in car rental companies & they get peoples details & send out fake fines.
Another one is scammers standing outside a car rental firm & getting people to fill in a questionaire or something similar in order to get their home address so they can send out fake fines.

It was on "the real hustle" one night

full back

Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on December 05, 2008, 10:31:05 AM
Quote from: full back on December 05, 2008, 09:28:39 AM

It was on "the real hustle" one night

Spot on, thought I read it but it must have been there I seen it

el_cuervo_fc

It was on about ones doing it in Spain I think.

I know a few people who have got speeding tickets back from Australia and never done anything about it.  they've never had any comeback on them.

I'd say let it sit for the time being, if you keep getting hassled then you could always check the validity of the police station and phone number online.  Then you could give the police station a call to check it out

overdabar

I'm 99 percent sure its genuine. the place and time it said i was, is correct and it is from the police with all the legal info with it, not some dodgy collection agency. i see theres a place on the form saying if you were not the driver please give the name of who it was. i might just fill it out with some made up name or just say it wasn't me and send it back, don't think it'll go any further than that. at least that way I'm passing the blame and it wont affect me

illdecide

I would fax/e-mail the police to find out first off all if it's genuine and if so pay it as it's only about 80-90 quid. You just don't know what powers they have if you didn't pay up. Your name could be black listed and refused entry into other internation destinations as someone else mentioned earlier...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

revsperminute

Sorted

illdecide

I'm afraid you'll just have to bend over and take like a man...as it looks like your screwed saan.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Bud Wiser

Ring the station in Swords and ask to see the Sergeant in charge of the shift that was on at the time.  When he asks you what you want say you want to make an appointment to see the superintendent to tell him what happened and they will tell you forget about it.  If that does not work write a letter to the Garda Ombudsman TODAY explaining in detail what happened and if you do end up in court bring a copy with you.  In future just keep an electric shaver in the door pocket beside you and as they approach swap the phone for the shaver and the nlook on their face is priceless.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

rosnarun

Quote from: AFS on December 05, 2008, 06:33:37 PM
Quote from: overdabar on December 04, 2008, 04:50:02 PM
Received in the post yesterday a letter from Victoria police in Australia, a speeding ticket for speeding while out there on my honeymoon in October. was wondering should i just bin it or can they make me pay it? will it come back to bite me on the ass if i don't? i have no intentions of returning there for the next 20/30 years. the fine is about $160 bucks and i was doing a 108 in a 100 km/hr zone. feckers. My intention at the minute is to bin it unless i am advised otherwise. Any advice.

I defo pay the fine overdabar if I was you. For the sake of 80 or 90 quid there's no knowing how it could f**k you up in the future. You say you've no intention to head back in the next 20/30 years but you can't be sure where you're life will take you. Even if you or your wife never head back you could end up with family, even kids, in Australia and something outstanding like this could prevent you from ever visiting them in the future.

OR if the booting doesn't work they may imprison the kids untill you go and pay that speeding fine. between that and kicking shit out of the abos they dont really have a while lot else to do
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

thebigfella

Received in the post yesterday a letter from Victoria police in Australia, a speeding ticket for speeding while out there on my honeymoon in October. was wondering should i just bin it or can they make me pay it? will it come back to bite me on the ass if i don't? i have no intentions of returning there for the next 20/30 years. the fine is about $160 bucks and i was doing a 108 in a 100 km/hr zone. feckers. My intention at the minute is to bin it unless i am advised otherwise. Any advice.

Don't listen to anyone who says pay it on this thread. I had loads of fines and outstanding tax owed after I left Oz and have been back numerous times since. Also don't listen to any of the nonsense about it affecting your entry to the US, credit rating ect.... The Aussie cops have no jurisdiction to send in debt collectors nor or they gonna put you on Interpol's most wanted list  :P

J70

Quote from: AFS on December 05, 2008, 06:33:37 PM

I defo pay the fine overdabar if I was you. For the sake of 80 or 90 quid there's no knowing how it could f**k you up in the future. You say you've no intention to head back in the next 20/30 years but you can't be sure where you're life will take you. Even if you or your wife never head back you could end up with family, even kids, in Australia and something outstanding like this could prevent you from ever visiting them in the future.

I'd agree with this. As long as you are sure it is legit and given that it is such a small sum, I would take care of it now and be done with it. It might be very minor, but you never know when how you deal with something like this, minor or not, could come back to haunt you in the future.