speeding ticket

Started by overdabar, December 04, 2008, 04:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

overdabar

Received in the post yesterday a letter from Victoria police in Australia, a speeding ticket for speeding while out there on my honeymoon in October. was wondering should i just bin it or can they make me pay it? will it come back to bite me on the ass if i don't? i have no intentions of returning there for the next 20/30 years. the fine is about $160 bucks and i was doing a 108 in a 100 km/hr zone. feckers. My intention at the minute is to bin it unless i am advised otherwise. Any advice.

corn02

Pay the fine or you will get a booting.

SidelineKick

Best going over and talking to someone about it face to face.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

EC Unique

Def bin it. What can they do?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Some I know from the North once tried a similar trick with a ticket from the South and ended up getting a letter from London with the ticket exchanged into sterling so there's obviously some sort of international co-operation.

Are you in the North or the South? Possibly there's an agreement with Australia I don't know. If you want, you could just wait to see if anything else comes of it and if ya get a letter from your own authorities, pay it at that stage though by then they'll had added on an administration sum I'm sure.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

overdabar

I'm from the north. i was just goiong to ignore it then few people put doubts in my mind

Puckoon

For 160$ its one of those things that might hang over you for years, evertime you get a phone call from an un known number, or a strange letter head in the post.

May as well pay it for peace of mind.

Canalman

Definitely pay it overdabar. Your name could end up on some international database as a defaulter and you might as a worse case example find yourself barred entry to the USA or even find your credit rating screwed.
Btw the Victoria police are imo the most petty (and also the most useless) shower you will ever come across.

stiffler

How did the hoors get your home address?

Getting a fine for doing 5mph over the speed limit seems a bit steep.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

el_cuervo_fc

you'd need to be careful with this sort of thing.  There's a lot of scams like this going about.

Sometimes it can be as simple as you renting a car and the ones in the car hire place taking a photocopy of your passport.  The information is then passed on to scam your money. 

I'd say bin it

wrecked_em

on a similar subject, when I was 1st year in university the tv license man came to our door and caught me. I answered in my boxers so couldn't really tell him I didn't live there.  I had to show him ID with my name but no address.  I was given a month to get the tv license sorted but I couldn't get the hoors i lived with to cough up so I didn't bother.  The court summons then came with a date to appear in the petty sessions court.  I didn't appear and a subsequent letter detailing that I was found guilty and was ordered to pay the license fee, and £120 in addition fees.  Needless to say I ignored it and moved out of the house a few weeks later at the end of term.  I didn't sign a contract for the rent of that house so I don't think I am traceable.  However, to my knowledge I am the only person I know with my name.  This is 5/6 years ago now.  Anything to worry about and if so, what can they do.  I'd do the time instead of paying them to be honest.

el_cuervo_fc

The Dog will be at your door.

I couldn't see them tracking you down, and if they did, just deny all.  Someone could have given them your name.  I'm sure the fella who called round your door won't remember the details of his visit. 

we used to give false names all the time when we were students in Belfast

Fear ón Srath Bán

You'd want to be careful here, that they have your address is scary enough, and I wouldn't put it past them to have the debt collectors on to you.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

rosnarun

just send a letter saying not known at this address. house im in is getting court orders for people who havent lived there in years. feck all they can do if they cant find you
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere