Liverpool Players supporting Michael Shields

Started by StGallsGAA, December 04, 2008, 08:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bacon

Having read all of the posts here and done a little bit more research I don't know why the Liverpool players and club are 100% behind this guy. He is a convicted felon (attempted murder) until he is pardoned (if he ever is). The club should not be getting involved and Setanta should never have broadcast the footage of the protest.

My take on the whole thing is that this lad probably would not have been convicted in the UK or Ireland. Not because he isn't guilty; but because of the behaviour of the police while collecting evidence. In common terms a technicality.

I really don't know if he is guilty or not so in common law I will give him the benefit of the doubt.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

corn02

Quote from: StGallsGAA on December 05, 2008, 07:01:13 PM
Whoever it was that stated Georgiev is only certain it was Shileds to make sure of the compensation is no better than the person who threw the paving slab in my eyes.

Agreed.

Rav67

Quote from: corn02 on December 06, 2008, 11:59:22 AM
Whoever it was that stated Georgiev is only certain it was Shileds to make sure of the compensation is no better than the person who threw the paving slab in my eyes.

Agreed.

Surely it's bollocks as well as insensitive.  How would any compensation be dependent on him accusing Shields of the crime?

corn02

Quote from: Rav67 on December 06, 2008, 12:02:24 PM

Agreed.

Surely it's bollocks as well as insensitive.  How would any compensation be dependent on him accusing Shields of the crime?

True? You still across the sea Rav?

nifan

Quote from: Rav67 on December 06, 2008, 12:02:24 PM

Agreed.

While it might be bollocks, I had heard in Bulgarian law a conviction is necessary for someone to recieve compensation, though it was through this incident i heard it so it may not be accurate.

Rav67

Quote from: AFS on December 17, 2008, 06:20:28 PM
It seems Jack Straw can let him out if he wants

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/merseyside/7788070.stm

I thought Straw had been given licence to pardon him before, I read an article by Brian Reade in the Mirror about 2 months ago which suggested that he could and attacked Straw for not doing it.

Corn02- still across the wahter, working down in Bournemouth.  You still plugging away trying to become the new Paddy Heaney?

Lecale2

The Bishop of Liverpool was on the wireless earlier calling for a Judge to review the case. I'd say that's what Jack Straw will do. The review will take a year or 18 months.

Straw is worried that the transfer of British prisoners from foreign prisons will stop if they believe he will just pardon them.

corn02

Quote from: Rav67 on December 18, 2008, 01:29:36 AM
Quote from: AFS on December 17, 2008, 06:20:28 PM
It seems Jack Straw can let him out if he wants

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/merseyside/7788070.stm

I thought Straw had been given licence to pardon him before, I read an article by Brian Reade in the Mirror about 2 months ago which suggested that he could and attacked Straw for not doing it.

Corn02- still across the wahter, working down in Bournemouth.  You still plugging away trying to become the new Paddy Heaney?

Still trying and failing.   ;)

A review should probably be the right course of action. Obviously I would want a full pardon, but I would rather it comes at the end of the review which collects enough evidence to show it was a shambles instead of just being down to people-power in Liverpool.