irish name spelling

Started by phpearse, November 26, 2008, 12:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leenie

I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Gnevin on November 26, 2008, 12:33:36 PM
Quote from: phpearse on November 26, 2008, 12:29:05 PM
anyone know the irish spelling for Lauren McCrory.
Yeah something along the lines of Lauren McCrory. I hate made up Irish names

Thats Bollix Gnevin, McCrory is a Gaelic name so it does translate. I am proud of my Irish and Anglised name, I sign using both, and if someone has a problem with that I tell them to feck off.

Gaelic names, Viking, Norman/Old English and some old established Colonial names I see no problem in using the Gaelic version of those peoples names, I understand what you mean if you try and turn a recent immigrant from Poland, Italy, Nigeria, Russia, Germany etc. to a fake Irish names, but surnames here while Gaelic was still the main lanuage of Ireland thats a different thing.

Simply GNevin I think your Pale is showing.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

The Blegard

Quote from: screenexile on November 26, 2008, 02:48:02 PM
What's the Irish for Chantelle or Beyoncé?

As for the Asians changing their names when they come here I think it's not fair. Fella in my class called Callum, no more was he Callum than I am Beelzebub but that's what we were supposed to call him. It's a stupid practice which only serves or ignorance towards other cultures!
One of my mates is called patrick. Born and bred in Hong Kong. When I asked him how he ended up with such a name the reply was simple for 2 reasons. In the Chinese culture it is offensive to mispronounce someones name so they prefer to have a western name to lessen the risk of this happening.
In Hkg when they end up in an english speaking primary school they used to be told to pick a new name for themselves one night for homework. My mate Paddy forgot and the good old nun picked one for him.
Ceol,Dole agus Ol

longrunsthefox

Why does Barbara de Bruin call herself a French name? Not much word of her these days...

Orior

Quote from: longrunsthefox on January 24, 2010, 08:40:08 PM
Why does Barbara de Bruin call herself a French name? Not much word of her these days...

Cause it makes her feel sexy.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Orior on January 24, 2010, 08:52:37 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on January 24, 2010, 08:40:08 PM

Cause it makes her feel sexy.

She'd need to do a bit more than that... reminds me of Tootsie (Dustin Hoffman film) if anyone can post a pic. I still haven't mastered that art. 

Orior

I wouldnt do that.

Otherwise people will discover she's actually Peter Robinson in drag.

Gold

Quote from: Hardy on November 26, 2008, 03:06:51 PM
The fact that Asians feel the need to change their names when they come here says more about us than it does about them. In my experience they don't "translate" their names to the English version of what the name means, but do a phonetic approximation.

Anyway, I object to the motion that my name is merely some inferior version of a purer original. It is the name I was given by my parents and I wouldn't insult their memory by trying to translate it into something more acceptable to some sort of self-appointed cultural cleansing movement. It smacks of the racial purity evil from the 1930s to me.

To develop The Juice's point, it's hard to see how the GAA's rules can continue to embrace this unacceptable prescriptiveness about what people should call themselves before they're allowed to tog out in a game of football, without falling foul of discrimination legislation.

(I'm a strong supporter of the development and growth of Irish).

The best one i ever heard was a chinese fella who came to our work and called himself 'Maverick'!!!!

I got a good laugh outta that one for a long time!
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Canalman

The meanings behind the surnames McAnespie and McEntaggart are interesting.

Wonder do the loyalist people of Shankill know how the area got its name. Leprachaun language I believe they call it.

5 Sams

Quote from: Canalman on January 25, 2010, 09:13:25 AM

Wonder do the loyalist people of Shankill know how the area got its name. Leprachaun language I believe they call it.

Ballyhackamore and Tandragee are another couple of interesting ones. Anyone know the explanation behind the name of Sawel Mountain. :o
The Aristocrat Years

Olly

Can someone help me with this? My father's name was Sean and my grandfather's name (his father, my da) was John. On my mother's side my grandfathers (her da) name was John. Now my brothers name is Sean but not from the same breed as my father's side if you know what I mean (he looks like my mother's side). Apparently both greatgranfathers were called John but one might have been called James. This John or James 's brother was called Bartholomew. What I would like to  know is when did that name die out or is it still here and was there a Pope called that at the time (1800's or late 1700's). ?
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

Orior

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Canalman on January 25, 2010, 09:13:25 AM

Very true, son of the bishop and son of the priest!!! I'd chance Sean chille as Irish translation of Shankill?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

stpauls

I hope some one can answer this question for me, but what is the correct spelling of Michael in Irish?
I have heard of a number of different ones, Micheal (fada over the A), Miceal (with a fada over the I and A, or just the A) and Michil (with a fada over the first I).
Can you tell me which is the correct one, if any or all of them are right, or is is just personal preference?