Beer....

Started by 5 Sams, November 21, 2008, 09:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Had a few Foster's on Friday night. Not too many, but the hangover was unreal. Not touching it again.
Testing Accessibility

Billys Boots

Quote from: Hound on December 15, 2008, 12:53:26 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on December 14, 2008, 03:31:32 PM
I was just talking about the brew quality FóSB, the best beer (usually without the preservatives needed for kegs or cans) goes in bottles. 
Was talking with a friend of a friend in a pub about 2 years ago. He was working with some drinks company in the US, but had previously worked in quality control in Guinness. He said they were very particular about the quality of drink that went into kegs and draft cans, but any oul sheite could end up in the bottles of stout.

You may well be right, there's very little market in Ireland presently for bottled stout, except among our West African brothers (and as I say, they get their own brew).  I remember the draft cans' invention in the late 80s, and there was a huge emphasis on the quality of the 'pub draft' being reproduced alright.  In my opinion, though I wouldn't say it in company, they failed, as stout should be drunk 'warmish', and the (function of the widget and) can depended on it being cooled to 4 degC.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

stephenite

Coopers Pale Ale - Bottled
Pint of Guinness - Draught.

Hank Everlast

Had  a lovely few pints of Maes last nite in a wee pub in Brussels.. maybe it was the locatin and the atmosphere but it was up there with the best iv had.

YogiBear

Number one has to be pint of the black stuff lovely especially in the local GAA club pure heaven.  Then would be Carling and number three would be Red Dog, hard to beat six bottles of Red Dog on a Thursday nite to make work go that little bit better on Friday and get a taste for the weekend.  Love the messages on the lid of the Red Dog pure inspiration

Bod Mor

Quote from: stephenite on December 16, 2008, 01:02:01 AM
Coopers Pale Ale - Bottled
Pint of Guinness - Draught.

Coopers is feckin savage stuff. You get the taste of cream on your lips after a few of them, like a cat that would be wantin more. Best Aussie beer anyway.
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

RedandGreenSniper

Drank Coopers (green) for a while but went off it. Maybe I don't appreciate good beer but my tipple in Australia was Hahn Super Dry, very nice drink.

At home I enjoy a few lovely pints of Guinness from time to time but not all the time because I get stomached after about 6 of them.
The regular would be a good pint bottle of Bulmers/Magners with ice. Nothing better for the cure either of a Saturday or Sunday afternoon! Can't believe no one has mentioned a pint bottle yet ???

If I'm drinking smaller bottles it'll be Corana with a slice of lime
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

stpauls

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on December 14, 2008, 03:37:07 PM
Quote from: stpauls on December 13, 2008, 12:34:43 PM
spent 12 months in Munich Fear, had both of them from the tap on a regular basis, and still would prefer Franziskaner!! they are nice beers, but just not Franzies league.
although i have found a weissbier in /tesco called Weihenstephen and comes a close second to it.

You'd know your onions then stpauls, respect.

well, i don't like to boast, but...  :P

Midman

A special mention has to go to Asahi.  Best beer for sushi by a long way, having it and sushi in a we Kaitenzushi  place in the middle of nowhere in Japan was one of the highlights of my life (I need to get out more, I know!)

The Forfeit Point

1. pint of guinness - nothing compares to this at all
2. beamish - not a bad substitute when the money is tight!!! :D
3. smithwicks - when the above two arent of high standard in whatever pub i happen to be in!!

anybody a fan of kilkenny draught? had it a few times and think its a lovely drink, really hard to come across though!!!
i thought breo was nice when it came out, pity it was taken off the market

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: stpauls on December 16, 2008, 05:37:25 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on December 14, 2008, 03:37:07 PM
Quote from: stpauls on December 13, 2008, 12:34:43 PM
spent 12 months in Munich Fear, had both of them from the tap on a regular basis, and still would prefer Franziskaner!! they are nice beers, but just not Franzies league.
although i have found a weissbier in /tesco called Weihenstephen and comes a close second to it.

You'd know your onions then stpauls, respect.

well, i don't like to boast, but...  :P

Though the cognoscenti on www.ratebeer.com have Franziskaner and Paulaner on an equal footing with a score of 3.6 out of 5 each, so maybe just half-respect  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Puckoon

Quote from: Midman on December 16, 2008, 08:18:58 PM

A special mention has to go to Asahi.  Best beer for sushi by a long way, having it and sushi in a we Kaitenzushi  place in the middle of nowhere in Japan was one of the highlights of my life (I need to get out more, I know!)

Oh dear - Id take the sapporro over it in a heartbeat. Still the Asahi is better than the Kirin Ichiban.

Tsingtao for me is the nicest oriental beer.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Not only are the Trappist beers (Achel, Chimay, Orval, Rochefort, Westmalle, Westvleteren & La Trappe) among the best beers you can drink in the world, they're also the closest thing there is to guilt-free alcohol: any money the monks make from the brewing and sale of beer they use for their charitable works; they sell beer so that they can afford to be monks. And, if you drink enough of their beers for long enough, they might even be using the money you paid for that beer to pull you out of the gutter. Now, that's what I call a sound investment!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Gnevin

Had some Galway hooker on the weekend . Was very enjoyable

http://www.galwayhooker.ie/flash/site/intro/

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

ONeill

FoSB, can it be bought in the black North?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.