Beer....

Started by 5 Sams, November 21, 2008, 09:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: macdanger2 on November 25, 2014, 11:53:30 PM
Quote from: laoislad on November 25, 2014, 10:51:53 AM
Looking for advice re Whiskey.
Not being a drinker of it myself I wouldn't know what to buy but I want to get a bottle for a client who has given me plenty of work this year.
I know he drinks Jameson but I want to get him one that isn't just the normal run of the mill bottle of whiskey(if there is such a thing)
I have seen bottles with vintage on them and bottles with reserve on them so can anyone recommend a decent one or are they all pretty much good for someone who drinks whiskey?

Depends on how much you want to spend tbh. If you're looking for something at normal prices, Connemara or Kilbeggan are both nice

Where would you geta  bottle of Green spot in the north?
I have seen it in a few bars, but havent seen it for sale in any of the off liciences
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Harold Disgracey

I'm Pretty sure I have seen it for sale in Emersons in Armagh.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 26, 2014, 12:06:19 PM
I drank a craft beer called 'Barefoot Bohemian' by some shower of crusties from Mitchelstown there a couple of weeks ago. It's a Pilsner, and they are the 8 degrees brewing company. It's nice stuff.

I also polished off a box of Cobra there last week after an Indian, that was nice, but maybe only because I was after eating an indian with their spices. All the lads from India I work with drink Kingfisher.

I'm stocking up with Erdinger Kristal and Staropraman for the Christmas. Any similar beers I should try instead?

Budvar & Pilsner Urquell are both nicer in my opinion and are available here.

Gambrinus is the nicest Czech beer (and probably the nicest anything!), but I have never seen it in Ireland. If anyone does see it here, please let me know as a matter of extreme urgency!

MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Quote from: muppet on November 27, 2014, 02:49:48 PM
I drank a craft beer called 'Barefoot Bohemian' by some shower of crusties from Mitchelstown there a couple of weeks ago. It's a Pilsner, and they are the 8 degrees brewing company. It's nice stuff.

I also polished off a box of Cobra there last week after an Indian, that was nice, but maybe only because I was after eating an indian with their spices. All the lads from India I work with drink Kingfisher.

I'm stocking up with Erdinger Kristal and Staropraman for the Christmas. Any similar beers I should try instead?

Gambrinus is the nicest Czech beer (and probably the nicest anything!), but I have never seen it in Ireland. If anyone does see it here, please let me know as a matter of extreme urgency!

Good one. I like Budvar alright. Actually I might get that instead. I had Pilsner Urquell in that Czech restaurant in Temple Bar (which is nice by the way) and it was lovely. Might look into that too. Thanks lads for all the suggestions, I think have enough to get through the Christmas now :)

muppet

Actually, you reminded me that The Czech Inn had Gambrinus at one stage (haven't been there for a few years). When I had it though it tasted like beer from a tap that hadn't seen much traffic so wasn't as good as the bottled stuff or the stuff in the Czech Republic.
MWWSI 2017

Mikhailov

Yea Gambrinus is good beer but impossible to get here.

Good beers available here - Peroni, Tiger, Quilmes and Asahi are not bad but you couldn't have too many of them

gallsman

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on November 27, 2014, 09:49:47 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on November 25, 2014, 11:53:30 PM
Not being a drinker of it myself I wouldn't know what to buy but I want to get a bottle for a client who has given me plenty of work this year.
I know he drinks Jameson but I want to get him one that isn't just the normal run of the mill bottle of whiskey(if there is such a thing)
I have seen bottles with vintage on them and bottles with reserve on them so can anyone recommend a decent one or are they all pretty much good for someone who drinks whiskey?

Depends on how much you want to spend tbh. If you're looking for something at normal prices, Connemara or Kilbeggan are both nice

Where would you geta  bottle of Green spot in the north?
I have seen it in a few bars, but havent seen it for sale in any of the off liciences

The vineyard on Ormeau Road in Belfast generally has birth it and yellow spot.

Main Street

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 27, 2014, 08:58:31 AM
Jaysus, it's great to cause havoc in my absence - it was a draught IPA.  Lovely, hoppy and fruity - quite sweet, but not cloying.
Why didn't you say that in the first place, instead of saying  nice or lovely. Did you have head retention? and how pints did you have? ;D

The fruitiness comes from the hops, if was fresh fruity then I suspect hops were added after the fermentation and therefore you also get the hop sweetness and not a sweetness from malty sugars which would be cloying in your language. After a period of time that fruitiness turns more bitter and  merges into the body of the brew.
It's not that difficult for a good brewery to produce a very good quality characteristic beer but it take a good deal of care and attention to produce a fresh fruity IPA.

ziggy90

Quote from: muppet on November 27, 2014, 02:49:48 PM

Saris and especially Kosovice are even nicer than those in my opinion. I must try that Gambrinus if I can get hold of it.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

muppet

Don't think I've had Saris. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.
MWWSI 2017

Jim_Murphy_74

I drink RedBreast pot still whiskey.  Reasonably priced and widely available.  Tastes as good as many more expensive whiskey.

Would recommend it.

/Jim

LeoMc

Great to see all the local breweries appearing and giving us a chance to support local industry. 15 local breweries not counting the Donegal and Louth offerings.
http://www.quareswally.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/the-state-of-play.html?m=1

pullhard

Does anyone remember that white wheat beer Guinness used to make?

gallsman

Quote from: pullhard on November 29, 2014, 09:49:12 AM
Does anyone remember that white wheat beer Guinness used to make?

BreĆ³

Fender

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on November 27, 2014, 08:19:20 PM

Vintage & Reserve labels refer to the age of the whiskey and how they are matured. Jameson have probably the best selection of blended whiskies in Ireland. For the money and what you get I'd recommend the Red Breast as previously mentioned, lovely and subtle and part of the Jameson family. if you wanted to push the boat out go for a bottle of 'Midleton Very Rare', Iv yet to taste a better blended Irish Whiskey in my opinion it well worth the money, although probable not if you're not drinking it yourself, again its part of the Jameson family!