Beer....

Started by 5 Sams, November 21, 2008, 09:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ranch

I've always been fond of Boddingtons, anyone else tried it?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ranch on March 24, 2013, 10:28:05 PM
Haven't drank it in nearly 20 years but it was a tasty beverage. I am partial to ales and bitter.

ziggy90

Quote from: ranch on March 24, 2013, 09:56:20 PM

Just came in after a good few scoops of the local brew. I'm fast coming to the conclusion that you're far better off drinking at home (price and quality wise).  No harm to you Ranch but that stuff is piss (Manc piss at that). I love the craic/crack in my local and until lately wouldn't entertain the notion of drinking at home, but the piss that's being served up now?? >:(.

Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Main Street on March 24, 2013, 10:27:03 PM
I had a bottle of Bourbon County stout last week (then Cliff's theory appeared to be a fact).
It's brewed in Illinois, I don't know where else it's available, but it's a stunningly brilliant drink, without doubt the best stout i've had so far.
Warning,  it's strong with a buffalo kick for the reckless,  one 650 ml bottle was quite enough for me.

5% is for wimps
13%  :o

Not a session beer that's for sure!

http://food.uk.msn.com/drink/beer-cider-ale-stout-drinks-christmas?page=4

ranch

Quote from: ziggy90 on March 24, 2013, 10:34:48 PM

Just came in after a good few scoops of the local brew. I'm fast coming to the conclusion that you're far better off drinking at home (price and quality wise).  No harm to you Ranch but that stuff is piss (Manc piss at that). I love the craic/crack in my local and until lately wouldn't entertain the notion of drinking at home, but the piss that's being served up now?? >:(.

Each to their own, something about it I really like though. If we're talking piss then Carlsberg, Miller, Budweiser and various others all deserve a mention.

ziggy90

I've a daughter, her husband and a grandchild lving out in Slovakia, myself and mrs Z are heading out there on Saturday where we'll imbibe the local lager at 85 cents oer pint, happy days.

ziggy90

Quote from: ranch on March 24, 2013, 10:38:50 PM

Each to their own, something about it I really like though. If we're talking piss then Carlsberg, Miller, Budweiser and various others all deserve a mention.

Add Carling (you'd struggle to find anything else around here) to that list and I'd totally agree with you.

I would rather drink Bitter than anything else but the Brewery's here have everything tied.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: 5 Sams on March 24, 2013, 10:20:29 PM
Quote from: Hardy on March 24, 2013, 09:59:11 PM
Time to revive Cliff's beer theory from Cheers:

A herd of buffalo can move only as fast as the slowest buffalo. When the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members

In much the same way the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Alcohol, we all know, kills brain cells, but naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers, and that's why beer is so good for you.
Magnificent. Anyone remember the episode where Norm got the job as a beer taster in the brewery?
A classic.
Careful now

ranch

Quote from: ziggy90 on March 24, 2013, 10:49:37 PM
Quote from: ranch on March 24, 2013, 10:38:50 PM

Add Carling (you'd struggle to find anything else around here) to that list and I'd totally agree with you.

I would rather drink Bitter than anything else but the Brewery's here have everything tied.

Yep, the selection of beers in our local pubs are pretty poor. In England at least they still have their regional breweries so you have a much greater choice.

deiseach

I'm not a fan of Boddingtons or Worthington's, both a little too sickly for my taste. John Smith's is perfectly agreeable if there's nothing from a cask available.

lynchbhoy

Love strong Suffolk ale - around 6.5%
Bottles.
You can prob get it on draught in east anglia in England I'd reckon. Almost go over just to try it on draught.

Also like bombardier and hobgoblin, with the former milder tasting than strong Suffolk ale and the latter stronger and a bit more bite/bitter than ssa!

snoopdog

diagio have this country sewn up very hard for a small brewery to make any sort of foothold. Guinness killed the irish beers such as Smithwicks, McCardles and even Harp by buying licences for Budweiser and Carlsberg which are no better than Harp. Then Heineken came into the market, not a great beer either but the masses drink it. 
The quality of tap beer in Dublin is not great, even if you see something like Smithwicks Pale ale or Galway hooker your inclined to avoid it as you will get a pint that has been sitting in the line for a few days. Buying a few ales in the off licence and drinking at home is grand in the summer months if you can sit outside but its bleak in the winter.
I tried Okichim Porter in Warsaw a while back, it has some kick and has a pleasant flavour. Didnt realise it was 12% until i felt a kick after 1 so checked the label.

snoopdog

Quote from: thewobbler on March 24, 2013, 09:28:59 PM
Quote from: All of a Sludden on March 24, 2013, 09:09:00 PM
Are Aldi or Lidl in the north selling Hobgoblin, Speckled Hen or any other ales? Local off license is €3.50 a bottle, Aldi sometimes have them at €2, was hoping to pick them up cheaper in the north.
Your best bet is Sainsbury's or Tesco. Lidl do
Bishop's Finger, but I've never seen it on offer.

In the other two, there's almost always a 3 for a fiver deal, across the real ale range, while individual ales sometimes go as low as £1 a bottle.

Greene King Reserve IPA has moved to the top if my rankings. It is immense.

Lidl have  bishops finger and spitfire for 1.50 each in the 26 at the moment. Bought 1 of each, might try them during the footy tomorrow night

ranch

Anybody know if Lidl in Newry sell Boddingtons?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ranch on March 25, 2013, 07:56:39 PM
Anybody know if Lidl in Newry sell Boddingtons?
Are you on commission?