New Lansdowne Road to be demolished?

Started by GalwayBayBoy, November 18, 2008, 03:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Paul Doyle
guardian.co.uk, Tuesday November 18 2008 11.16 GMT

The Football Association of Ireland is hoping to persuade England to accept an invitation and take part in the first match at Dublin's redeveloped Lansdowne Road when it re-opens in August 2010.

The last time the two countries met, in February 1995, English fans made a premature a case for renovating the stadium by tearing up bits of it to use as weapons. The ensuing riot led to the match being abandoned midway through the firsthalf, with the Irish leading 1-0.

Since proper work began on transforming Lansdowne Road into a 50,000 all-seater stadium, Ireland have been playing their home games at Croke Park and the FAI chief executive John Delaney has admitted it would be virtually impossible to host England there because of the historical associations with Bloody Sunday in 1920. However, he is eager to invite England to Lansdowne for a game he insists his country is owed.

"At some stage, I would like to see England play in Lansdowne Road because there is a game owed," said Delaney. "There was a time when we drew England all the time, back in the late 80s and 90s, but we haven't come across them too much in the last couple of years. Murphy's Law is that if you do organise for them to come to Ireland, you'll draw them in a competitive game. Bringing them to the old Lansdowne Road would have been difficult, and bringing them to Croke Park wouldn't have been correct given the history."

Memories of 1995 would inevitably raise security issues, although Delaney is confident the potential problems are not insurmountable. "There are heightened issues when England play, we all know that," said Delaney. "But at some stage, we have to get over the issue of the game being abandoned. The English FA have promised a game for many years to make up for that incident. There are heightened issues, but that could happen in a qualifier. A friendly should be a more benign fixture."

If the game does go ahead and the countries' current managers are still in situ by the time it comes around, the match will be given even more intrigue by the fact that it will see two of the greatest ever Italian managers, Fabio Capello and Giovanni Trapattoni, pit their wits against each other.

ziggysego

I knew the FAI wanted to stay in Croke Park!
Testing Accessibility

orangeman

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 18, 2008, 03:30:28 PM
Paul Doyle
guardian.co.uk, Tuesday November 18 2008 11.16 GMT

The Football Association of Ireland is hoping to persuade England to accept an invitation and take part in the first match at Dublin's redeveloped Lansdowne Road when it re-opens in August 2010.

The last time the two countries met, in February 1995, English fans made a premature a case for renovating the stadium by tearing up bits of it to use as weapons. The ensuing riot led to the match being abandoned midway through the firsthalf, with the Irish leading 1-0.

Since proper work began on transforming Lansdowne Road into a 50,000 all-seater stadium, Ireland have been playing their home games at Croke Park and the FAI chief executive John Delaney has admitted it would be virtually impossible to host England there because of the historical associations with Bloody Sunday in 1920. However, he is eager to invite England to Lansdowne for a game he insists his country is owed.

"At some stage, I would like to see England play in Lansdowne Road because there is a game owed," said Delaney. "There was a time when we drew England all the time, back in the late 80s and 90s, but we haven't come across them too much in the last couple of years. Murphy's Law is that if you do organise for them to come to Ireland, you'll draw them in a competitive game. Bringing them to the old Lansdowne Road would have been difficult, and bringing them to Croke Park wouldn't have been correct given the history."

Memories of 1995 would inevitably raise security issues, although Delaney is confident the potential problems are not insurmountable. "There are heightened issues when England play, we all know that," said Delaney. "But at some stage, we have to get over the issue of the game being abandoned. The English FA have promised a game for many years to make up for that incident. There are heightened issues, but that could happen in a qualifier. A friendly should be a more benign fixture."

If the game does go ahead and the countries' current managers are still in situ by the time it comes around, the match will be given even more intrigue by the fact that it will see two of the greatest ever Italian managers, Fabio Capello and Giovanni Trapattoni, pit their wits against each other.

More like a good kicking owed to those yobs that wrecked the joint !

Mentalman

Dealeny is some job knockey.

The way they are going the only way they will fill Landsdowne, other than the opening match, is for the rugby, or is they get a Leinster football final in there.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

dubinhell

Quote from: Mentalman on November 18, 2008, 03:35:27 PM

The way they are going the only way they will fill Landsdowne, other than the opening match, is for the rugby, or is they get a Leinster football final in there.

Can't happen, pitch is too small for GAA

The GAA

Both teams could kick into the same goals

Mentalman

Quote from: dubinhell on November 18, 2008, 03:52:13 PM

Can't happen, pitch is too small for GAA

That's that fcuked then You'd think he'd at least give people something to aspire to, like Argentina, just look at the way the Scots are cream themselves for the match ths week. England and all the shi-ite they bring with them would not be wlecome, at least to my mind.

dublinfella

have you been sniffing glue?

are you seriously going to tell me that they wouldn't fill LR many times over if the brits were in town?

If the FAI can get England for free, sell the place out and then sell the tv rights to sky, thats good business. The issue is the non-ticket bearing fan who might decide to travel over.

Gnevin

So did Ireland V England  in the Six Nations  pass this tool by or is he saying the thugs that follow this code couldn't be trusted?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Mentalman

Quote from: dublinfella on November 19, 2008, 04:13:46 PM

have you been sniffing glue?

are you seriously going to tell me that they wouldn't fill LR many times over if the brits were in town?

If the FAI can get England for free, sell the place out and then sell the tv rights to sky, thats good business. The issue is the non-ticket bearing fan who might decide to travel over.

No I haven't been sniffing glue, is that a common practice where you're from?

Where did I say they wouldn't fill LR if England (I think you meant to say) were the opposition? You might be better served to read people's posts rather than resorting to stupid one liners.

They won't be able to get England for free, I presume, why would they? Becuase they "owe" us one? More like we owe them and their sc**bag fans one.

The issue is non-ticket bearing fans is it? Were those the ones inside LR previously? The ones inside the the grounds at recent matches chanting anti Setanta (of all things) and anti Irish slogans?

And even if it was non ticket holding fans just how much do you think the security operation would cost tax payers to keep the them in line?

Look I'm a regular at Ireland games, even in the current hard times, just wrapping it up here today so I can get over to the match tonight. I was delighted when the FAI pulled out the stops to get Brazil into Croker. But England? Bad enough if we have to play them in qualifying, but getting them over here for a friendly. Even if there wasn't trouble, I think someone like Argentina would be far more exciting and get people's imaginations fired up rather than another bunch of long ball merchants.

Tankie

Quote from: Gnevin on November 19, 2008, 04:29:12 PM

So did Ireland V England  in the Six Nations  pass this tool by or is he saying the thugs that follow this code couldn't be trusted?

I agree with Dnevin it just soccer has knackers on both side that will do nothing but boo national anthems and abuse each other for 90mins and not even watch the game!!!!
Grand Slam Saturday!

ziggysego

English Rugby fans and English Soccer fans are two different kettles of fish. Whilst I'm not a fan of letting either code into Croke Park, I accept the fact that Rule 42 has been relaxed for the duration of the Lansdowne Road Redevelopment. However if the FA were invited to play a friendly at Croke Park, I would be fuming and would do my part to keep them out.

Let them tear Lansdowne Road apart if they want, but I would not allow them within viewing distance of Croke Park.
Testing Accessibility

Tankie

Quote from: ziggysego on November 19, 2008, 04:37:30 PM

English Rugby fans and English Soccer fans are two different kettles of fish. Whilst I'm not a fan of letting either code into Croke Park, I accept the fact that Rule 42 has been relaxed for the duration of the Lansdowne Road Redevelopment. However if the FA were invited to play a friendly at Croke Park, I would be fuming and would do my part to keep them out.

Let them tear Lansdowne Road apart if they want, but I would not allow them within viewing distance of Croke Park.

I think Gnevin was pointing out that Delaney said they would not play in Croker because of the tradition when it should infact states its because of knackers on both sides that cannot show respect to a tradition!
Grand Slam Saturday!

ziggysego

Quote from: Tankie on November 19, 2008, 04:39:34 PM
I think Gnevin was pointing out that Delaney said they would not play in Croker because of the tradition when it should infact states its because of knackers on both sides that cannot show respect to a tradition!

Aaah. Well Delaney can hardly call them a bunch of knackers, even though he knows it, we know it and they know it.
Testing Accessibility

The Real Laoislad

I wouldn't have any problem going to see Ireland play England in the new Landsdowne,In fact I'd look forward to it...
I doubt to be honest we would see a repeat of what happened in '95,a game I was at actually.
The English fans are like the Dubs fans for every decent one there are 10 bad ones its just a matter of making sure the majority of the decent ones get the tickets,The way tickets are allocated is alot more advanced then the way it was in '95
You'll Never Walk Alone.