Computer stuff

Started by bigfrank, November 14, 2008, 03:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on November 24, 2008, 02:26:42 PM
Firefox 3 is available. Try that

I didn't realise that. I assumed what they'd given me was the latest version.  I can't figure out why they upgraded me to a level 2 version without even mentioning or offering version 3. Anyway I've just installed it and it works great. Thanks.

It's fierce fast too, compared to v. 2.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Hardy on November 24, 2008, 02:16:44 PM
This forum is now first port of call for buying a camera, booking a hotel, fixing a computer, etc. So, to save me googling and navigating forums, etc. maybe someone has a quick answer:

I installed the latest upgrade to Firefox the other day. Since then, there are some things that don't respond. One is the "quote" function on this board. When I hit the "quote" button to reply to a post I get a big green banner saying "Loading" and nothing else - it comes up "Done" but no reply window opens. Similarly I can't open my Hotmail inbox or Betfair's racing results page. Most other stuff works fine.

I don't know if it's trying to run a script (I have Java enabled), but I'd expect an error message if that was the problem. Either something has changed in my setup or there's a bug in Firefox (version 2.0.0.18). Has anybody else seen this or does anyone have any ideas? Or can anyone suggest how to step back a version (I don't want to do a system restore).

The "quote" function on the right hand side of a post wasn't working for me either Hardy but it is now...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

bigfrank

My computer is a w££ker!!! >:( >:(

When i turn it on first thing in the morning i have to wait ten minutes for it to load the icons,prompt messages,alerts etc!!Is their any way i can save what i need on to a memory pen and then reboot the computer or soemthing back to the way it was in the beginning!!It does be used alot and therefore im not surprised it slowed down a little but i hate the how long it takes at the start!!

Thanks

Mhic Easmuint

It could be that there is alot of software starting up in the background each time your computer boots. 
You could try removing that first. 
If its windows xp:
Go to start>run    Enter: msconfig and press ok.
In the System Configuration windows that pops up select the startup tab. 
There will probably be a fairly long list there of variopus programs etc. 
You could take the tick away from alot of them but leave it at any that will be required e.g. Your Antivirus Software. 
Click ok and it will ask you to reboot. 
See if it loads any quicker. 

mylestheslasher

Sounds like you might need a reformat - set your pc back to the beginning of its life. I do this every year or two to clean up the clutter that gathers. Before you do this make sure you have all  the discs that came with your pc including any drivers, software etc. If you don't have it search google and get them before you do this.

Assuming you have it.

- Buy a large USB key and put all your files on it. They will all be deleted after reformat so get everything you need on  there
- Stick in your windows cd or your recovery cd (depending on what came with your pc)
- Restart pc and when you are prompted select - reboot from disc
- It can vary what happens from here on but generally keep selecting options  to re install windows and reformat.

Your pc should then reload windows nice and clean. Next install any drivers and software you have. Choose a nice simple anti virus software like AVG instead of resource hungry Norton and away you go.

bigfrank

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on January 05, 2009, 03:38:26 PM
It could be that there is alot of software starting up in the background each time your computer boots. 
You could try removing that first. 
If its windows xp:
Go to start>run    Enter: msconfig and press ok.
In the System Configuration windows that pops up select the startup tab. 
There will probably be a fairly long list there of variopus programs etc. 
You could take the tick away from alot of them but leave it at any that will be required e.g. Your Antivirus Software. 
Click ok and it will ask you to reboot. 
See if it loads any quicker. 

tried that Mhic,didnt do any harm thats for sure,thanks :P :P

bigfrank

U not agree HS,u any ideas??I should prob try and reboot the computer only im sure if i have all the original docs/disc etc.

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: bigfrank on January 05, 2009, 04:16:50 PM
U not agree HS,u any ideas??I should prob try and reboot the computer only im sure if i have all the original docs/disc etc.
HS is only stirring!

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: bigfrank on November 14, 2008, 09:52:35 PM
Eventually got microsoft office downloaded and working,looks to be the real deal!! Thanks to all

Can you or someone else gimme the link ot one of these not so legal ones??

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on January 05, 2009, 04:18:17 PM
Quote from: bigfrank on January 05, 2009, 04:16:50 PM
HS is only stirring!

Where would I go to the msconfig thing if I am on vista mhic?

Mhic Easmuint

When you press the start button, there is a white line just above it, a search line. 
Put msconfig in there

bigfrank

when i turn my computer on everytime i have to enter a password that we set a year ago.we have no need for this security device and want to know how to get rid of it??? Its just the user id thing?? cheers

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: bigfrank on February 12, 2009, 08:27:38 PM
when i turn my computer on everytime i have to enter a password that we set a year ago.we have no need for this security device and want to know how to get rid of it??? Its just the user id thing?? cheers

Windows XP - Start>Control Panel>User Accounts>Select User Account>Remove Password

bigfrank

Thanks Mhic!! Thats one thing sorted :) Computer being a p***k at the minute,when i turn it on,its takin ages before i can access mozilla firefox internet??loads of icons have to load first and pop ups etc!!! :( :(

Mhic Easmuint

Start>Run
Type in msconfig
Go to startup tab. 
List of programs that start there every time your computer starts.  You could probably take the tick away from alot of them.  Don't disbale antivirus software. 
Apply and Close. 
Reboot

Recommend a good scan with antivirus software.  Use Avast or AVG if you don't have one (Both Free)
Might need to do a scan with Malwarebytes or SuperAntriSpyware or both.  All free.