Computer stuff

Started by bigfrank, November 14, 2008, 03:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the real slim shady

AVG is free anti-virus and is as good as any you wil pay for

bigfrank

Cheers Slim but im talking about free software or dowloads that are safe and that work!! I know there are plenty of packages to buy,tell me something i dont know!!

nifan

bigfrank

its free to download and use??happy days,u just type it into google i guess and download it,anythin else that can be used to speed up computer or make it function better

J70

Avira and Avast are decent free AV programmes as well. None are near as good as the better subscription ones in my experience, but each to his own.

bigfrank

Quote from: nifan on November 15, 2008, 12:30:21 AM
AVG is free

When u scan the computer using spyware doctor, can u fix the problems for free???

When i go to fix problems it asks me for a name and license??that is to register and pay i presume??Is there anyway of using this package for FREE?? i wanto get rid of my infections and threats

Thanks

J70

I doubt it, unless you get a license from someone else. I use it myself in the US. Over here spyware doctor costs $30 for three computers, but I've no idea what their licensing agreements are at home.

Mhic Easmuint

Tyrones own

This is a mighty registry scan as well as other good stuff and you can get a 30 day free trial,
should give you plenty of time to weed out problems and speed the thing up a bit.

http://www.macecraft.com/
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

bigfrank

was wondering what happens to things you delete to your recycle bin and then delete from the recyle bin?? Will this rubbish not still be in the computer somwhere or is there a package or software that cleans this stuff out??

thanks

Mhic Easmuint

Might still be there unless it is actually written over. 
Software like: http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com/file-recovery-software/ may be able to recover it.

bigfrank

Thanks Mhic for quick reply! I will look into it

nifan

cc cleaner cleans a lot of guff from your machine that isnt needed anymore.

yes, it is free

Hardy

This forum is now first port of call for buying a camera, booking a hotel, fixing a computer, etc. So, to save me googling and navigating forums, etc. maybe someone has a quick answer:

I installed the latest upgrade to Firefox the other day. Since then, there are some things that don't respond. One is the "quote" function on this board. When I hit the "quote" button to reply to a post I get a big green banner saying "Loading" and nothing else - it comes up "Done" but no reply window opens. Similarly I can't open my Hotmail inbox or Betfair's racing results page. Most other stuff works fine.

I don't know if it's trying to run a script (I have Java enabled), but I'd expect an error message if that was the problem. Either something has changed in my setup or there's a bug in Firefox (version 2.0.0.18). Has anybody else seen this or does anyone have any ideas? Or can anyone suggest how to step back a version (I don't want to do a system restore).

Mhic Easmuint

Firefox 3 is available. Try that