Crossing the Irish Sea.

Started by corn02, November 14, 2008, 02:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rav67

Got the night boat recently Norfolkline from Belfast-Birkenhead.  Got a cabin and all you can eat meal and breakfast for around £40 I think, although it was my da who paid for it so I can't remember the exact price.

delboy

I prefer the slow ferrys, i was recently on the fleetwood to larne ferry, 8 hrs or something like that but you slept most of it in your cabin, all you could eat evening meal and breakfast (fantastic grub) and a bar with no queue. The slow ferrys are geared up for lorry drivers so everyone seems to know everyone else and it just has a real relaxed feel to it unlike the passenger ferrys that are like a floating shopping centre/food mall.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: corn02 on November 14, 2008, 03:44:12 PM
I have flwon the guts of 80 or 90 times, but I fooking hate it.

It doesn't even matter how short the trip is because it is only take-off that bothers me. We could be rocking the boat something serious mid-air and I wouldn't care - I hate take-off.

But, what is even worse is, I hate the hanging around and security and all that stuff. I despise it with a passion.

But you'd sit on a boat all day?
The boat to liverpool has a bit of a reputation of being unreliable, though I'm not sure how fair that is.

I've come back and forward on the boat quite a few times, have always gone Dublin to Holyhead (on Irish Ferries)- I think it takes about 2 and a half - 3 hours, there's a fast one and a slower one.  You'd drive up to liverpool in a couple of hours. 

and if you go near birkenhead, mind your wallet!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

corn02

Love the boat!

I would be after fast ferries if possible?

Niall Quinn

Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

corn02

mylestheslasher

The fast ferries are from Belfast - Stranraer, Dublin - Holyhead, Fishguard to Rosslare. Liverpool is a slow ferry whether to Belfast or Dublin.

dubinhell

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 14, 2008, 02:56:44 PM
There is only one Ferry to Liverpool from Dublin. If I recall correctly it is a slow Ferry, mostly aimed at trucks, but it does take normal foot passangers. The problem is it is very slow and takes something like 8 hours to cross the sea. Holyhead isn't an enormous distance from Liverpool. I have family in liverpool and they always come from Holyhead into Dublin.

Train from Holyhead to Liverpool (change at Chester) takes up to 2.5 to 3 hours depending on the connection