The official Xbox360 thread - or the no ONLs' club

Started by corn02, November 13, 2008, 10:29:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mickey Linden

Anyone know if Football manager is coming out on the xbox? Is there any decent management games available for the x box?

anportmorforjfc

Thinking of buying madden 2010. Anyone played it?

Tankie

RROD for the second time.........these lads are just taking the piss!!!!
Grand Slam Saturday!

gerry

anyone on here get caught out, seems to have being done with the launch of COD

Xbox console ban is 'permanent'
By Jonathan Fildes
Technology reporter, BBC News

Modern Warfare 2 on shop shelves
The ban may have been timed for the release of Modern Warfare 2

Thousands of Xbox 360 owners who have been cut off from Microsoft's Xbox Live service will have to buy a new console if they want to play online again.

Microsoft told BBC News that banned machines will be permanently barred and "unable to connect to Xbox Live".

A message displayed on affected consoles said there was "no recourse for terms of use violations".

Microsoft has barred as many as 1m gamers from Xbox live for modifying their consoles to play pirated games.

"Users of banned Xbox consoles can recover their profile to another, unmodified Xbox 360 console to resume their Live service," the firm told BBC News.

"The banned console will be unable to connect to Xbox Live."

However, modified consoles will still work offline.

'No recourse'

Microsoft said barring gamers was part of an ongoing drive to curb piracy.

But a statement from them suggests this latest wave was timed to prevent people from playing pirated versions of the widely-anticipated Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

We believe that even one modified console on the system is one too many
Microsoft

"We can assure you that if an Xbox Live member follows the Xbox Live terms of use, purchased a retail copy of Modern Warfare 2 and played the game on an unmodified Xbox 360, no action will be taken," the firm said.

Microsoft said that it had banned a "small percentage" of the 20 million Xbox Live users worldwide.

Many gamers modify their consoles by installing new chips or software that allows them to run unofficial - but not always illegal - programs and games.
anybody on here get caught out, seems to be done to correspond with cod

Xbox gamer on being cut off

Some BBC News website readers claimed that they had "modded" their consoles to allow them to make back-ups of games that they had already bought.

"Discs are very fragile things and some users like to have their games backed up," said Donald Glass of Aberdeen.

"After all you will have paid £40 for a new disc. It is my opinion that once you buy a disc you should be allowed to do whatever you want with the media as long as you do not break copyright laws."

Microsoft has not said how it was able to determine which gamers to disconnect.

"We do not reveal specifics, but can say that all consoles have been verified to have violated the terms of use," the firm said in a statement.

It said that gamers who had been barred were using their modified consoles to "play illegally pirated games".

"We believe that even one modified console on the system is one too many".

Industry figures suggest that piracy may cost the video game industry as much as £750m a year.

Reports have speculated that new "mods" could soon be on the market that allow gamers to get round the blocks.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

mc_grens

In response to the Madden 2010 Q earlier.

It's great.

David McKeown

Quote from: gerry on November 13, 2009, 01:46:45 AM

By Jonathan Fildes

Thousands of Xbox 360 owners who have been cut off from Microsoft's Xbox Live service will have to buy a new console if they want to play online again.

Microsoft told BBC News that banned machines will be permanently barred and "unable to connect to Xbox Live".

A message displayed on affected consoles said there was "no recourse for terms of use violations".

Microsoft has barred as many as 1m gamers from Xbox live for modifying their consoles to play pirated games.

"Users of banned Xbox consoles can recover their profile to another, unmodified Xbox 360 console to resume their Live service," the firm told BBC News.

'No recourse'

But a statement from them suggests this latest wave was timed to prevent people from playing pirated versions of the widely-anticipated Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

Microsoft

"We can assure you that if an Xbox Live member follows the Xbox Live terms of use, purchased a retail copy of Modern Warfare 2 and played the game on an unmodified Xbox 360, no action will be taken," the firm said.

Microsoft said that it had banned a "small percentage" of the 20 million Xbox Live users worldwide.

Many gamers modify their consoles by installing new chips or software that allows them to run unofficial - but not always illegal - programs and games.

Some BBC News website readers claimed that they had "modded" their consoles to allow them to make back-ups of games that they had already bought.

"Discs are very fragile things and some users like to have their games backed up," said Donald Glass of Aberdeen.

"After all you will have paid £40 for a new disc. It is my opinion that once you buy a disc you should be allowed to do whatever you want with the media as long as you do not break copyright laws."

"We do not reveal specifics, but can say that all consoles have been verified to have violated the terms of use," the firm said in a statement.

It said that gamers who had been barred were using their modified consoles to "play illegally pirated games".

Industry figures suggest that piracy may cost the video game industry as much as £750m a year.

Reports have speculated that new "mods" could soon be on the market that allow gamers to get round the blocks.

Haven't been caught out as such but I have a real problem with this as there is no way to have the ban lifted apparently, even if you have been banned in error.  My problem though is that a lot of people, who I know who have had to have their dvd drives replaced (because they have stopped working) have now fallen victim to the ban, likewise people who have bought second hand consoles or worse been given refurbished consoles from Microsoft
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

take_yer_points

There seems to be ways round it already:

http://www.thegamergene.com/xbox360/method-to-get-around-xbox-live-bans/

Haven't read too much about this but I'm sure there'll be more ways round it that'll come out

Minder

Quote from: mc_grens on November 13, 2009, 08:21:23 AM
In response to the Madden 2010 Q earlier.

It's great.

Is it much different to the previous ones?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

mc_grens

The weapons thing is gone. It's tougher, tackling feels better, especially gang tackles. AI is improved alot, it plays a much better game of football.

One great example is this: in 09 the QB had an awful habit of leading receivers out of bounds with passes. Happened all the time to both the player and the AI. That is eliminated.

It just plays a better fame of football, looks and feels more accurate.

I think it's the best Madden.

The other big thing is more realistic player ratings. Eg you can feel the difference between a Megatron/ AJ80/ Larry Fitz and a poor receiver now. They've also made the ratings more sensible e.g. Larry Fitz is about 97-99, as he was in 09. TJ houshama is about an 84, he would have been a 94 in 09. Much better.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: David McKeown on November 13, 2009, 09:50:29 AM
Quote from: gerry on November 13, 2009, 01:46:45 AM

By Jonathan Fildes

'No recourse'

Microsoft

Haven't been caught out as such but I have a real problem with this as there is no way to have the ban lifted apparently, even if you have been banned in error.  My problem though is that a lot of people, who I know who have had to have their dvd drives replaced (because they have stopped working) have now fallen victim to the ban, likewise people who have bought second hand consoles or worse been given refurbished consoles from Microsoft

Just reading on the forum they'll investigate it now if you ask them, if you're trying it on though you lose your gamertag and all your content as well.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

pintsofguinness

yeah I got my last one on ebay of "A1 gaming 4u" for £26.59 - they email it through right away. Cheapest I've seen.

flantheman82

Need help anyone. My live subscription expires at midnight tonight. What's the quickest and cheapest way to renew it?

thebigfella

Quote from: flantheman82 on January 12, 2010, 03:33:38 PM
Need help anyone. My live subscription expires at midnight tonight. What's the quickest and cheapest way to renew it?

Through XBox live.

Mickey Linden

Well lads have had an x box for a while now but have never went on x box live. I was wondering what exactly i need to get for this and how much would it cost? I have wireless broadband in the house.

pintsofguinness

If you want to have it wireless you'll need a wireless adapter that will cost 50 or 60 quid.  Or you could run the cable from the router to the xbox (like me). 
Then you'll need a subscription if you want to be a gold member, 30-35 quid for the year.