gillers new squad

Started by mattockranger, November 12, 2008, 07:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

no Philip McMahon the Ballymun wing back??? was impressed with him against us in the leage last year in Breffini.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: dodo on November 14, 2008, 03:47:00 PM
This thread is on the road for a few days now and only one Dublin poster interested in talking about the first panel of the new regime. Half arsed summer boys ! If someone posted a comment giving out about the Dubs the usual hardcore  ::) would be out........Heffo is the one and only true blue Dub supporter on this board by the looks of it.

And if there were a load of Dublin posters discussing it, someone would be on here saying it should be on the Local GAA Discussion board.

paddypastit

QuoteHes got all that collie moran has , but better engine, stronger harder working and two great feet - though you wouldnt think any of that from watching him in a blue jersey.
planty of lads fail or dont make it bcause of the 'drink' or girls, others like Lally are victims of poor management and an inability of counties to get the best out of raw potential.
what age is he? He was in college with McConnell, Bernard Brogan and Cullen...  Is it a lost cause already. 

It's interesting to get that perspective on the Caffrey regime because I've heard a (very) prominent Vincent's man declare Connolly to be the most naturally talented footballer that he has ever seen, and this guy was up close and involoved in the 70s.  Again I don't think there have been too many signs of that over the past twoi years which doesn't say a lot for Pillar.  Is the coaching of Whelan the means of gettimng that out of them.  Come to thinkof it, the absence of Lally is all the more surprising given that Whelan was coach to that DCU Sigerson team that Lally was on in which he was I recall Man of the Match in either the semi final or final?
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

his holiness nb

Quote from: dodo on November 14, 2008, 03:47:00 PM
This thread is on the road for a few days now and only one Dublin poster interested in talking about the first panel of the new regime. Half arsed summer boys ! If someone posted a comment giving out about the Dubs the usual hardcore  ::) would be out........Heffo is the one and only true blue Dub supporter on this board by the looks of it.

What a silly post, theres a provisional 43 man squad announced. Nobody has any idea what the team will be like or who from that squad will even make the O'Byrne cup squad.
Not really much to discuss to be honest Dodo. Unless you think somebody has been left out unfairly, as I play my club football outside Dublin I wouldnt be qualified to comment on who is doing what with the clubs so wouldnt presume to make an argument on that score.

Ask me holy bollix

heffo

Quote from: paddypastit on November 15, 2008, 01:32:57 AM
QuoteHes got all that collie moran has , but better engine, stronger harder working and two great feet - though you wouldnt think any of that from watching him in a blue jersey.
planty of lads fail or dont make it bcause of the 'drink' or girls, others like Lally are victims of poor management and an inability of counties to get the best out of raw potential.
what age is he? He was in college with McConnell, Bernard Brogan and Cullen...  Is it a lost cause already. 

It's interesting to get that perspective on the Caffrey regime because I've heard a (very) prominent Vincent's man declare Connolly to be the most naturally talented footballer that he has ever seen, and this guy was up close and involoved in the 70s.  Again I don't think there have been too many signs of that over the past twoi years which doesn't say a lot for Pillar.  Is the coaching of Whelan the means of gettimng that out of them.  Come to thinkof it, the absence of Lally is all the more surprising given that Whelan was coach to that DCU Sigerson team that Lally was on in which he was I recall Man of the Match in either the semi final or final?

There's absolutely no doubt that Connolly is an extremely talented footballer and an absolute natural. He has all the attributes needed for success at the highest level but unfortunatly there have been a number of off-field incidents that have undermined this.

Hopefully Micky Whelan can get his head right because he can be top class...

lynchbhoy

Quote from: paddypastit on November 15, 2008, 01:32:57 AM

could say more on Caffrey and why imo he wasnt suitable for the position, hailing from a time in 1999-2000 that demonstrated to me that he hadnt got the head for such a job.I have known him since 1988-89 btw. Nice man, passionate Football man, passionate Dublin man, but hasnt the head for such a position. Hiw brother would be a far better man for it.

As for lally. I fear it is too late. Whelan and co actually helped start the lads downfall. Putting him as a wing half back. This was the start of his confusion and slide into loss of confidence and its been a catch 22 ever since.
I'd hope that whelan can stop the same happening to connolly. Man mangement in order to get the best out of some players is crucial.
Conolly is one of the lads tha tneed this, once he finds his feet he'd be grand (same for Lally, but its too long a road back for him imo unless he gets special treatment that no manager would spend the time on unless they knew him well and what he may be capable of).
This is the kind of thing that Dublin need to do to make that jump in order to beat next years champions elect - Kerry with Mr OConor at the helm - though the loss of Tommy walsh might cripple their chances, more so if Darragh o'se retires.

gorm agus bui

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 13, 2008, 03:04:00 PM
....and my annual crib ....no Declan Lally or Graham Norton of st Brigids...  >:(
Wouldn't imagine too many bending down to pick the ball up in front of The G Man