gillers new squad

Started by mattockranger, November 12, 2008, 07:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattockranger

from hoganstand
Dublin senior football manager Pat Gilroy
12 November 2008

Ciaran Whelan and Jason Sherlock are included in new Dublin football manager Pat Gilroy's provisional squad for 2009.

The inclusion of the veteran pair finally ends speculation that they were set to retire from the inter-county scene. The squad is dominated by players from county champions Kilmacud Crokes, beaten finalists St. Oliver Plunkett's/Eoghan Ruadh, St. Brigid's and reigning All-Ireland club champions St. Vincent's.

The Brogan brothers, Alan and Bernard, are joined by their cousin James, while younger brother Paul is also expected to feature once he has fully recovered from a cruicate ligament injury. Neither Brogan or St. Jude's defender Niall O'Shea were considered due to injury.

There's a recall for highly-rated St. Vincent's defender Ger Brennan, who dropped off the panel prior to this year's championship, while some of the newcomers include Sean Breheny, Alan Hubbard, Blaine Kelly and Thomas McGrath. Other players from Kilmacud Crokes will be considered once their involvement in the Leinster club championship ends.

Provisional Dublin football squad:
1 Paddy Andrews (St Brigid's)
2 Denis Bastick (Templeogue Synge St)
3 Kevin Bonner (St Brigid's)
4 Sean Breheny (St Jude's)
5 Ger Brennan (St Vincent's)
6 Alan Brogan (St Oliver Plunkett's/ER)
7 Bernard Brogan (St Oliver Plunkett's/ER)
8 James Brogan (St Oliver Plunkett's/ER)
9 Barry Cahill (St Brigid's)
10 Paul Casey (Lucan Sarsfields)
11 Stephen Cluxton (Parnells)
12 Paul Conlon (St Vincent's)
13 Diarmuid Connolly (St Vincent's)
14 Bryan Cullen (Skerries Harps)
15 Colin Daly (Skerries Harps)
16 Tiernan Diamond (St Vincent's)
17 Enda Dolan (Ballymun Kickhams)
18 Eamonn Fennell (O'Toole's)
19 Paul Flynn (Fingallians)
20 Hugh Gill (St Vincent's)
21 Paul Griffin (Kilmacud Crokes)
22 David Henry (Raheny)
23 Alan Hubbard (Ballymun Kickhams)
24 Conal Keaney (Ballyboden St Enda's)
25 Blaine Kelly (St Mary's, Saggart)
26 Darren Magee (Kilmacud Crokes)
27 Ross McConnell (St Oliver Plunkett's/ER)
28 Thomas McGrath (Fingal Ravens)
29 Brendan McManamon (St Jude's)
30 David Mooney (O'Toole's)
31 Colin Moran (Ballyboden St Enda's)
32 Derek Murray (Round Tower's, Clondalkin)
33 Kevin Nolan (Kilmacud Crokes)
34 Rory O'Connor (St Oliver Plunkett's/ER)
35 Michael Savage (St Vincent's)
36 Stephen O'Shaughnessy (Lucan Sarsfields)
37 Tomás Quinn (St Vincent's)
38 Shane Ryan (Nh Mearnog)
39 Donal Ryan (Raheny)
40 Jason Sherlock (Na Fianna)
41 Mark Vaughan (Kilmacud Crokes)
42 Seamus Walsh (St Mary's, Saggart)
43 Ciarán Whelan (Raheny)

couple of new faces that have featured underage but generally no hidden gems have been unearthed so far!
expect Brennan to be at number6!
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

Kerry Mike

Why name a sqaud so early if they are not allowed to do any squad training ?

Will it be Gillers or Gilo he will go by, are there rules to be followed for the creation of bleedin' Jackeen nicknames?
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

midLouth

Maybe they want to set up a squad for gym membership.

antoinse

Where is Ted Furman?? He is one of the best prospects in Dublin

lynchbhoy

....and my annual crib ....no Declan Lally or Graham Norton of st Brigids...  >:(

The GAA

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 13, 2008, 03:04:00 PM
....and my annual crib ....no Declan Lally or Graham Norton of st Brigids...  >:(

his chat show is still running so couldn't see him having time.

paddypastit

lb- do you really think that Lally is a county footballer.  Great engine, brave boy and capable of doing spectular things but...
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

thebandit

Did anyone esle notice that it is in alphabetical order apart from 35 - Michael Savage? I wonder did he replace somebody?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: paddypastit on November 13, 2008, 03:12:30 PM
lb- do you really think that Lally is a county footballer.  Great engine, brave boy and capable of doing spectular things but...
honestly - yes absolutely !
if collie moran (and a few more) are on the squad, then Lally is almost ovequalified !

heffo

Didn't think either really stood out in the championship this year - Lally was playing some great stuff for McAnespies in Boston but from what I heard, Norton wasn't getting a game for them..

Can you confirm?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: heffo on November 14, 2008, 12:29:08 PM

Didn't think either really stood out in the championship this year - Lally was playing some great stuff for McAnespies in Boston but from what I heard, Norton wasn't getting a game for them..

Can you confirm?
Norto didnt get playing for the first couple of weeks/games (for whatever reason) - I checked this out bec I think you mentioned this before and he was playing all the tme after that and v well too by all accounts.
Under rated, def better than his physique and alter boy looks suggest.

it was way too late for them to get back and do well for us in the champo.
Then again there is a lot of negativity towards the manager (and his 'ability')- who I believe is now gone.

paddypastit

lb - I have to defer to your 'up close' knowledge but to my eye despite having many admirable qualities, he has always to me seemed to lack that ability to know what to do and when - how to apply his abilities if you like - that marks out the better players.  From experience I have always felt that the mark of the better player, and I think that you can see this acros different sports, is that the really great players are that split second ahead in their heads and make things happen whereas the ordinary player 'reacts' to what happens.  I've only seen Lally from afar but he always struck me as the latter.  That said there are undoubtedly others of that ilk in the Dublin set-up and in many county teams up and down the country.  Funny enough even though many Dublin people seem to be down on him, I would not rate Collie Moran in the same space.  While he is not the great white hope he was painted as, he does link the play together and is a good distributor under pressure.  It is arguable tough that he is a bit of a luxury in a faster paced more direct game and that to accomodate him, you lose something else.  I think though that he is a 'coaches player' (technically sound, reliable, versatile and plays to order) and don't be surprised if he remains a fixture.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

lynchbhoy

Quote from: paddypastit on November 14, 2008, 02:04:14 PM
lb - I have to defer to your 'up close' knowledge but to my eye despite having many admirable qualities, he has always to me seemed to lack that ability to know what to do and when - how to apply his abilities if you like - that marks out the better players.  From experience I have always felt that the mark of the better player, and I think that you can see this acros different sports, is that the really great players are that split second ahead in their heads and make things happen whereas the ordinary player 'reacts' to what happens.  I've only seen Lally from afar but he always struck me as the latter.  That said there are undoubtedly others of that ilk in the Dublin set-up and in many county teams up and down the country.  Funny enough even though many Dublin people seem to be down on him, I would not rate Collie Moran in the same space.  While he is not the great white hope he was painted as, he does link the play together and is a good distributor under pressure.  It is arguable tough that he is a bit of a luxury in a faster paced more direct game and that to accomodate him, you lose something else.  I think though that he is a 'coaches player' (technically sound, reliable, versatile and plays to order) and don't be surprised if he remains a fixture.
I can understand why people have that view, and that is exactly what has been seen of lally playing for dublin thus far.
However tehre are plenty of reasons why imo he hasnt 'done it' for dublin. Rows with caffrey (caffrey even told him that he was about to drop him from the dublin squad before he sent him out toplay an obyrne cup game a couple of years back), selection at various positions from wing back to corner forward, never settled, no decent run in a settled side etc - but the lad has been losing confidence since he came out of minor football...

at this stage now, the smart money would be on him to never hit the heights his talent and ability would allow.
Hes got all that collie moran has , but better engine, stronger harder working and two great feet - though you wouldnt think any of that from watching him in a blue jersey.
planty of lads fail or dont make it bcause of the 'drink' or girls, others like Lally are victims of poor management and an inability of counties to get the best out of raw potential.

dodo

This thread is on the road for a few days now and only one Dublin poster interested in talking about the first panel of the new regime. Half arsed summer boys ! If someone posted a comment giving out about the Dubs the usual hardcore  ::) would be out........Heffo is the one and only true blue Dub supporter on this board by the looks of it.

Declan

Not much to say about a panel of 43 with no one from Crokes or any of the old panel not in there. Would agree with Lynchbhoy re Lally and Norton though. Wait till new season is upon us