The official new GAA kits thread

Started by GalwayBayBoy, November 11, 2008, 11:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

What Anto and Deco will be wearing from the O'Neills Summer 09 collection.

Gabriel_Hurl

T O Hare

"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

rrhf

Is that the ladies strip?  Very effeminate look to it. 

thebandit

red hander

How well does it absorb salted tears?

youbetterbelieveit

thejuice

Its not bad, but I preferred the last one, even though I wouldnt be seen dead in one. It seems to be the norm for teams to bring out a new Jersey every 2 years. Meath have been doing it in this decade anyway.

By the way I've been meaning to ask this but does anyone reckon O'Niells have done a deal with Adidas. Notice the 3 stripes are common on all O'Niells products these days but also since they have the quality of product has improved as has the designs taken a suddenly more stylish twist.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

An Fear Rua

ONeills have used the three stripes for years, as far as I can rem, check out some of the retro kits from 70s, Dub and Tyrone def had it.

There are a few articles knocking about on line re a court case in the 80s with Adidas. Issues included the notion that Oneills used it first in Ireland, and that they argued that there were in fact only using two stripes on a diff colour background, Adidas lost the case.
Its Grim up North

Maroon Heaven

Quote from: An Fear Rua on November 12, 2008, 11:30:56 AM
ONeills have used the three stripes for years, as far as I can rem, check out some of the retro kits from 70s, Dub and Tyrone def had it.

There are a few articles knocking about on line re a court case in the 80s with Adidas. Issues included the notion that Oneills used it first in Ireland, and that they argued that there were in fact only using two stripes on a diff colour background, Adidas lost the case.

But was there not a situation where Adidas (Thank christ for remembering All Day I do A Shit) did a deal with a county (I think it was Kerry), but due to GAA rules O'Neills had to make them.....  And that brought the 3 strip design back into GAA Fashion

screenexile

O'Neills used the 3 stripes before Adidas and therefore Adidas had no claim over O'Neills to stop using it.

As part of GAA rules all playing gear must be made by an Irish Manufacturer. Adidas I think were keen to get in on the act with Kerry so for a while in the 90s I think they set up a small operation somewhere in the South West so that they could provide the playing strip for Kerry. It didn't last too long anyway I don't think.

Now it is common to see Puma (Fermanagh, Ballinderry) and Adidas gear as part of the non playing kit such as tracksuits and polo shirts as they try to get in on the act. The sooner the rule is done away with there will be serious competition for Sports companies to get deals which will improve finances for County Boards, improve quality, availability and design. Sooner the better I say as O'Neills have had the monopoly for far too long!

thejuice

Quote from: screenexile on November 12, 2008, 12:15:01 PM
will improve finances for County Boards,

How much do they get from sales, do county boards own the copyright of county crests or the GAA
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

WeeDonns

I think I did read somewhere before that O'Neills had had a run in with them and claimed that they used the 3 stripes in Ireland first.

According to Adidas themselves, the 3 stripes down the sleeve is not a brand logo. Its just 3 lines for design purposes.

This came up in the Olympics a while back. Basically the Olympic committee said that there was only allowed to be a certain square inch amount of branding on competitors gear. i.e just the logo on the chest. Adidas made their kits with the logo the specified size but the Olympic committee wouldn't let teams use the gear as adidas had went over the size limit of branding by having 3 stripes down the sleeves. Adidas went to court over it claiming that the 3 stripes on the sleeves were simply part of the design and not a logo.

They lost the case and ended up putting a row of 3's stuck together down the sleeves, which the Olympic committee believed was just design.

Even though they lost, surely if they took O'Neills to court for using the 3 stripes, O'Neills would reply with something along the lines of "but sure yous said yourselves its not your brand logo" in reference to this case.

Just thinking, it may not have been the Olympics, but some athletics event.

Maroon Heaven

Quote from: screenexile on November 12, 2008, 12:15:01 PM
Sooner the better I say as O'Neills have had the monopoly for far too long!

O'Neills have had alot of competition in all fairness... I would however like to know the break-up of shirt revenue's back into the boards....

Qlso in relation to the three stripes in Ruling by the Irish Courts - Does it apply North of the Border... I am sure it would't  - so does any club in the north have three stripes

Gnevin

Only 2 years out of the current Jersey ,not impressed. What ever happened to at least 3 years?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.