Frank McGuigan - iis this a record ?

Started by SuperMac, November 08, 2008, 02:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperMac

I was reading that Frank McGuigan played in the Ulster minor, U21 and senior final in 1973  :o Outstanding. Wondering, has anyone else played at all 3 levels in the one year for their county ? I beleive Colm Corkery may have ?

laoisgaa

Brian 'Beano' McDonald played for Laois at Senior, Minor and under 21 levels during 1998. Laois reached the All-Ireland Under 21 and Minor deciders that year.

Over the Bar

QuoteI beleive Colm Corkery may have ?

Colin Corkery might have as well ;)

wobbller

Emmet Mc Givern for Down  in and around 77/78

unforgiven

Benny Coulter played all three in one year?

T O Hare

"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

corn02

Did Val Kane play in two All-ireland semis in the one day or did I dream that. (Not that I dream about Val sir!)

Over the Bar

Quotewas reading that Frank McGuigan played in the Ulster minor, U21 and senior final in 1973   Outstanding. Wondering, has anyone else played at all 3 levels in the one year for their county ?

Plenty will have played at all 3 levels, particuarly in the "lesser" counties where an outstanding minor would be automatic choice at u21 and in with a fair shout of a call at senior.  Few will have played in provincial finals at all 3 levels in one year tho.

mouview

Tomas Mannion played at all levels for Galway footballers, at U-21 and Senior for the hurlers. Has a county medal in each code too.

slow corner back

Brian Whelehan won leinster Minor,u-21 and senior medals in 1989 came on as a sub for the seniors

moysider

Padraig Brogan. Mayo. 1983.

I was lucky to play against him at his best. I was a kid at the time and so was he. Trouble was football and the country was in a different place back then. Lots of good lads got lost in the the recession and many went abroad .

I ve seen nothing to approach him since. But who wants to know about somebody from 1/4 century ago who very few people saw and hardly a camera about the place. He probably peaked in 83/84. Never fulfilled his potential and it still annoys me that more was not done to nurture that lad. Himself and Ger Geraghty were the class acts of the 83 U21 All Ireland team and neither were about for 89 senior final. For different reasons.  Would they have made a difference? I m sure you ve heard of bears and woods.

ildanach

Brogan played and won a hogan cup that  year too!
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

gaagaa

Quote from: SuperMac on November 08, 2008, 02:44:02 PM
I was reading that Frank McGuigan played in the Ulster minor, U21 and senior final in 1973  :o Outstanding. Wondering, has anyone else played at all 3 levels in the one year for their county ? I beleive Colm Corkery may have ?

dermott mcnicholl in 1983/4 - derry minors, u21, seniors & then for ireland

ross matt

Agree with Mouview about Brogan's unfulfilled potential. Didnt think he played senior in '83 though?
Pretty sure Dermot Earley (senior) played minor, u-21, junior & senior for Ross in '65 when he was only 17. The under 21s got to the AI final that year.... I think.

rosnarun

Quote from: ross matt on November 11, 2008, 10:22:44 PM
Agree with Mouview about Brogan's unfulfilled potential. Didnt think he played senior in '83 though?
Pretty sure Dermot Earley (senior) played minor, u-21, junior & senior for Ross in '65 when he was only 17. The under 21s got to the AI final that year.... I think.
Dermot Earley ?
WAS HE NOT FROM MAYO?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere