GAA Board Newsletter: Pleas for Hardstation Early Release

Started by pintsofguinness, November 06, 2008, 02:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffron sam2

Disappointed that this thread had slipped to page 3 - if only for the ever-changing thread title.

What I have realised from this sordid saga is that far, far too many people on this board take themselves and the board far too seriously. When I want a bit of light relief from the relative tedium and seriousness that is my everyday life, I would come on here. The board is here to be enjoyed. That isn't really the case anymore.

This idea of reporting posts because of what some anonymous poster said about anyone's gaaboard persona is totally alien to me and it will be a cold day in hell before I report any post / poster for abusing the gaaboard persona that is saffron sam2. As such, that is why I have deep reservations about the banning of Evil Genius. Whilst, my thoughts on Evil Genius's whole raison d'etre are well known, I think that both the first and subsequent ban were extremely harsh. The 'personal abuse' was relatively mild and in one case indirect and I would appeal to the poster who reported him to grow a thicker skin if he is to hang around in the world of hyperspace. Having said that. I'm not missing EG; I am simply stating my opinion on the process that saw him banned.

hardstation, on the other hand is a different kettle of fish. I fear the moderator has erred in this matter.

Quote from: GAAboardmod1 on November 10, 2008, 12:20:38 AM
Hardstation was initially given a warning for abusing a poster and his wife. Upon receiving the warning he chose to abuse me, I asked him to refrain from doing so or it would carry a ban, he continued so he received a ban (four strikes altogether). Subsequently he has continued to use the board under different accounts, forcing us to put a ban on his IP address as this was making the ban null.

I hope this clears up the matter.

1. Personal abuse.
    Personal abuse is one of the most common problems on internet boards. Known sometimes as 'playing the man', whether foul language is used or not, this behaviour is
    not allowed.
    e.g. Calling someone a fat fool is the same as calling someone something more vulgar. This rule applies even in situations where another user has breached this, or
    another rule. Retaliation is still a breach of the rule.

Penalties- 1st Offence - Warning,  Second Offence - 2 Day Ban, Third Offence - 10 Day Ban, Fourth Offence - Permanent Ban

It is clear from previous posts that hardstation feels he has been banned for a month, yet it is equally clear from the emboldened parts above that the ban should actually have been permanent. If mod1 is serious about his role, then I look forward to never hearing from hardstation again! :D
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

give her dixie

next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Denn Forever

Get Tankie on the case.  He resurected GNevin when he was banned.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Bacon

How long has HS served now? Does he get time of for good behaviour? What were the other usernames he used recently to get around the ban?

So many questions.  ???
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Bensars

It wouldnt be hard to change his IP address if he wanted to get back under a different guise.

his holiness nb

Lads, before this set of rules came into place there was an outcry for the mods to put rules in place to stop shite like feuds and personal abuse. The mods went to the hassle of putting these rules together and even consulted the posters before they were issued.

The very reason these rules were put in place was so the place could be a source of light relief as saffron sam would like. Many of these rules are there so you can post your opinions and comments without another posted sniping in calling you names and trying to darken the mood of the place.

The rules are very very clear and easily accessible, I dont know how you can have sympathy for anyone who knowingly breaks the rules, in many case having been previously warned by the mods, and gets a ban. If you dont like the rules of the site, find another site you like.

Thats said, I'm still baffled over Hardstations banning and would appeal to the mods to at least have another look over the posts that earned the ban.
Ask me holy bollix

saffron sam2

But hardstation clearly broke the rules also if you read the quote from admin1 above.

hardstation had previously been banned and on this occasion was warned that he would be banned again, yet he refused to heed this warning.

The only problem with hardstation's ban appears to be that it is a temporary rather than a permanent one.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

nifan

QuoteI dont know how you can have sympathy for anyone who knowingly breaks the rules

I thought you considered tonys ban harsh?

his holiness nb

Quote from: nifan on November 11, 2008, 04:34:15 PM
QuoteI dont know how you can have sympathy for anyone who knowingly breaks the rules

Maybe I should have worded that better. I dont think the banning was harsh, as rules are rules.
I think the rule itself is harsh, and is enforced selectively.
Still, Tony knew the consequences, harsh or not.
Ask me holy bollix

his holiness nb

Quote from: saffron sam2 on November 11, 2008, 02:01:15 PM
But hardstation clearly broke the rules also if you read the quote from admin1 above.

To be honest, from what we have been told he posted, I dont see abuse towards the mods.
"catch a grip" ?? Abuse ??

Unless he said more than that, but that hasnt been clarified.
Ask me holy bollix

nifan

Quote from: his holiness nb on November 11, 2008, 05:06:00 PM
Quote from: nifan on November 11, 2008, 04:34:15 PM

Maybe I should have worded that better. I dont think the banning was harsh, as rules are rules.
I think the rule itself is harsh, and is enforced selectively.
Still, Tony knew the consequences, harsh or not.

Fair enough

pintsofguinness

SS
QuoteThis idea of reporting posts because of what some anonymous poster said about anyone's gaaboard persona is totally alien to me and it will be a cold day in hell before I report any post / poster for abusing the gaaboard persona that is saffron sam2.
I dont think the rules are there to save someone's feelings but rather to stop the threads turning in to unreadable nonsense with namecalling and insults.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: leenie on November 11, 2008, 08:10:10 PM
i just went into the chat room for a wee nosy and i seen hardstations name highlighted on the visitors list saying he had entered 10mins ago???????????

wheres the chat room? do you all go on it? there is prob a thread about it but i might have missed it

new devil

I was banned for 2 days last week..but the ban actually lasted a week...and was banned from reading the board to...still don't no why i was banned  ??? ???