Insoles

Started by The Claw, November 05, 2008, 01:16:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Claw

Lads, anyone wear insoles for sport? Trying to find out if they are worth investing in. My local physio either swears by them or else he's trying to screw everyone that comes into him for €300. THe test he does is where you walk on this board with sensors on it and a reading comes up on his computer screen. That might be all be well and good but for sport, surely the test should be done when you are running? I have talked to people who say their insoles have cured their back ailments etc but the jury is out for me.

The Gs Man

Insoles are for arseoles.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Keep 'er lit

el_cuervo_fc

I got a set of orthodics made up during the football season there to help with shin splints, i still suffered for a few months but now I get no trouble at all

Gnevin

Quote from: The Claw on November 05, 2008, 01:16:45 AM
Lads, anyone wear insoles for sport? Trying to find out if they are worth investing in. My local physio either swears by them or else he's trying to screw everyone that comes into him for €300. THe test he does is where you walk on this board with sensors on it and a reading comes up on his computer screen. That might be all be well and good but for sport, surely the test should be done when you are running? I have talked to people who say their insoles have cured their back ailments etc but the jury is out for me.

Can't walk let alone run with out them . However I don't believe in the hard moulded ones . I get a semi-hard moulded type and every 18-2 years I get them redone and they are slightly different too the last time . Costs about €65. If you keep the hard moulded ones you'll keep them for years with out the changes needed.
I also don't believe in the computer pad as a good physio should be able to do it better by eye.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

youngfella

Lads, anyone wear insoles for sport? Trying to find out if they are worth investing in. My local physio either swears by them or else he's trying to screw everyone that comes into him for €300.

Firstly this should have nothing to do with your physio, should be done with the podiatrist. Second 300 yoyos is taking the piss, that should cost no more 200 yoyos and its pushing it at that.

As for insoles they can help with all sort of bother, but for the first month or two there a pain in the balls. I would ask, weather you have any pains, shin splits, back pain the serious kinda of pain. If not tell him to blow.
Pull hard and early

Goats Do Shave

I hope you mean the balls of your feet...  :D

lynchbhoy

yep in latter years wore them as I didnt bother my h0le doing the exercises for fallen arches.
Prob the reason for eventually causing my hip to fcuk up too, as the fallen arches affected the muscle alignment in legs, lower back regions.

wore insoles for the last number of years in sport and everyday in shoes.
Notice a big diff in the arches now, but am somewhat dependant on them

certainly have helped no end.

various types of insoles out there
from the 35 quid ones in boots
to the orthodontic ones (some crew called tops ? on TV3 morning programme 6 months ago) that cost 200 - 350 quid.

Bensars

Go to a good ski shop and get the moulds taken for a fraction of the cost !

This is a bit like that Mc Donalds advert a few years ago. book your car in for  a new wiper blade and avoid the airport car park charges.

imtommygunn

I use them.

You can get bog standard ones from the shops which are a bit cheaper or custom moulded ones which could cost you 180 quid or so.

To see if you need them get a GAIT analysis done. You should get one at any good running shop.

tbrick18

In my younger playing days I had serious ankle problems, eventually forcing me out of the game and to this day they still give me bother.
About 3 years ago I had back pain which the physio sorted, then I developed tendonitis in my knee and then bursitis in my heel.
Just recently had gait analysis done and the guy didnt know anything about my history and was able to tell me I must have had some serious probs with my ankles given the way my feet were working(not working). So I got me the insoles (£250 for analysis and insoles...but I have healthcare so it doesnt bother me). They cause a lot of pain in all parts of the legs and hips for the first while but that has all settled. I'm not wearing them long enough yet for them to have had any real impact on anything else, but I'll let you know if it improves any.

Top of the hill

A couple of years ago i had trouble with a hamstring (pulled it 3 times in 2 years - each time progressively worse) eventually my physio recommended orthotic insoles to try to help. Being too poor to be able to afford custom made ones (ok too miserable  ;)) i decided to try an off the shelf pair for £25. Since then i have had no problems with the offending hamstring. I only wear them for training or playing sport but have noticed an improvement since I have had them. But maybe it is just the placebo effect  :D
. . He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue
That's the Chicago way

imtommygunn

Get a GAIT analysis done to see if you need them.

Top of the hill

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 05, 2008, 07:55:08 PM
Get a GAIT analysis done to see if you need them.

Aye, but would that not cost money? As i said before i'm a miserable hoor  ;)
. . He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue
That's the Chicago way

imtommygunn

Haha, pretend you'll buy their trainers...

The Claw

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 05, 2008, 11:39:48 AM
I use them.

You can get bog standard ones from the shops which are a bit cheaper or custom moulded ones which could cost you 180 quid or so.

To see if you need them get a GAIT analysis done. You should get one at any good running shop.
Thanks, might get this done, i sprianed ligaments in my ankle this summer and last summer and at the moment i am suffering from osteitis pubis so it might help.
PS, what is a running shop?  ??? :-[